Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 18,702 times

Advertisements

I got a citation $300.00 for leaving my car parked on my parents driveway when we all went on what became a 6 month vacation. I took the keys with me as well (bad move). No one was able to check the mail for the citation and was not able to contest it before the 21 day mark due date, and since I got back a month and a half after the contest citation date was due. I been trying to contact someone to see if I can get this situated but the person who cited it never gets back to my calls. This is unjust because neither anyone was able to move it or contest the citation!!!! Will I get justice and be able to get away from the ridiculous fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:53 PM

574 posts, read 696,796 times
Using the words "justice" when talking about San Jose parking police? Surely you must be crazy.

I had no luck with contesting the most ridiculous parking ticket I got in San Jose. If $300 won't utterly kill you financially, it may be better to cut your losses. This is a revenue source for the city of San Jose, and they will fight tooth and nail to keep to coming in.

Have you gone in to the dispute office in person? Though this is most likely going to be just as bad - they will try to dodge you every which way.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
I'm not aware of any San Jose ordinance preventing you from parking an operable car on your own driveway for as long as you want. There are rules about parking on your lawn, parking on the street, and storage of inoperable vehicles.

This makes me think there is more to this than the OP has shared, such as living in an HOA community with its own parking rules, etc.

Finally, if you were gone for 6 months, you should have had your mail forwarded. This is all your own fault and could have been easily prevented.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:11 PM

Forward the mail to where? We were only supposed to be out of country for 2.5 months but medical health issues happened and had to be held back, doctors orders.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:13 PM

No havent tried to go in person. Definitely justice is the wrong word to use for any city system. It was worse in San Francisco. I guess I'll donate this 300.00 to their poor greedy hungry money arse!!!

Old 09-24-2014, 02:24 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,059 times
hmmm...are you sure there isn't any more to this? were you blocking a sidewalk or anything like that?

Old 09-24-2014, 02:32 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizomp View Post
I got a citation $300.00 for leaving my car parked on my parents driveway when we all went on what became a 6 month vacation. I took the keys with me as well (bad move). No one was able to check the mail for the citation and was not able to contest it before the 21 day mark due date, and since I got back a month and a half after the contest citation date was due. I been trying to contact someone to see if I can get this situated but the person who cited it never gets back to my calls. This is unjust because neither anyone was able to move it or contest the citation!!!! Will I get justice and be able to get away from the ridiculous fine?
So, you basically abandoned your car for six months, and in addition, didn't arrange for someone to check on your mail for all that time. Who does that?

Old 09-24-2014, 03:02 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,970 times
What violation is listed on the citation? Did your license plate stickers expire, maybe? That's the only reason I can think of which could cause you to be cited in your own driveway.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:34 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
Something doesn't sound right here. You can't get a ticket for just being parked in a driveway of a private residence for an extended period. I'm wondering like the other posters if you were partially blocking the driveway or had expired tags or no front plate or something.

You can get ticketed for not moving a vehicle every 72 hours when it's parked out on the street, but that doesn't apply to being parked completely in the driveway of a private residence.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:23 AM

926 posts, read 978,796 times
I have been riding my motorcycle on Alexander drive from ssusalito to gg bridge and got into treacherous condition where winds blowing sideway, stop n go traffic and uneven slanted road so me and other motorcyclists around started riding shoulder out of safety since stop n go was too hazardous. Then there is a female rookie officer started pulling everyone one of us (she stopped 3 motorcyclists and started cutting tickets to all despite explaining about the condition). I contested it in Marin county and rookie also showed up and I explained judge that riding on shoulder was out of necessity due to hazardous condition but stone faced judge and rookie female officer won't give a **** about it and kept the 270$ ticket. It is like rookie gets paid by my tax and giving me a punishment for riding safely. Those Cali cops just sux it is certain they do it for revenue not for safety. I wish I could appeal further on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose