Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 11:14 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,042,071 times

Advertisements

Is this awesome or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ZPt2zoXHQ

See this blog entry from Searchlight San Jose for more info:

Setting Sail on the Mighty Guadalupe | Searchlight San Jose

Yet more information for those who think there is no aquatic activity to be found in San Jose. Of course, San Jose is also considered the 2nd best city for swimming in the USA:

The San Jose Blog: Saturday Stats: San Jose is the 2nd Best Swim City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:15 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,042,071 times
San Francisco is the #5 best city for swimming, according to the link.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:56 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,845,211 times
Just the presence of Raging Waters alone pretty much marked San Jose as the de-facto "fun aquatic" city in the Bay Area.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:30 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
This is kayaking under the freeway? Sorry, but that's kinda creepy.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This is kayaking under the freeway? Sorry, but that's kinda creepy.
Why creepy? It's probably more dangerous than it is creepy. And yes, for that tiny section, the Guadalupe River flows underneath Highway 87 as it crosses from one side of the Highway to another, and then runs parallel to the Highway the rest of the way, and not under it.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:31 AM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Why creepy? It's probably more dangerous than it is creepy. And yes, for that tiny section, the Guadalupe River flows underneath Highway 87 as it crosses from one side of the Highway to another, and then runs parallel to the Highway the rest of the way, and not under it.
Well, my idea of kayaking is to be out in nature somewhere far away from freeways. I am picturing kayaking past homeless camps and graffitti. Hence, creepy. IMO.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Well, my idea of kayaking is to be out in nature somewhere far away from freeways. I am picturing kayaking past homeless camps and graffitti. Hence, creepy. IMO.
Nah, it's only that particular section, the rest of the way in Downtown you'll be fine. Hence, only a few people have tried it.

And if you want to kayak in nature in San Jose, there's always the Alviso Slough, which Guadalupe River runs into, by the way.

So technically you can kayak from South San Jose through Downtown to Alviso Slough, but I would imagine there would be a lot of obstacles along the way (fallen trees, etc). Also, right now there's no water hehhehe!

Old 11-24-2014, 03:24 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,349,860 times
Quote:
I am picturing kayaking past homeless camps and graffitti.
You pictured right. I lived and worked near that stretch of the Guadalupe for about 10 years, and I used to jog and cycle right past that section of river almost daily. People can paddle it if they want... the rapids aren't very dangerous most of the time, but the water quality probably is.

Neutrino, I think it's kid of cool that people are kayaking it now. I know I daydreamed about that about a million times when I was down there. But look on a map and walk along some of the streets that back up to the Guadalupe upstream of that spot under 87. Notice all the garbage, homeless camps, drainage outlets and what the surrounding neighborhoods look like. Would you really want to be bathing in all that? Once you get down past alviso it's not as bad because a) It's flat and you're not rolling in it b) It's pretty salty and therefore harbors less bacteria, and c) It's more output than input at that point, eventually connecting to the Bay and the Pacific.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,559 times
Hey that video is awesome! I'm gonna do that section soon . Does anyone know of any sites..Or know anyone who may have any information
On kayaking down any of the South bay rivers? Or just a few buddies to go down with? [email]ephankidder74@hotmail.com[/email] or gmail. I've ran the Uvas river from Gilroy gardens down to betabel road on hwy 101. From Gilroy gardens to Gilroy park there are a couple putouts at low flows. After Gilroy park it is clear down to Betabel road. This recent torrent of rainfall has cleared out the top part now. Just below dam at the bridge pthere is a big tree and I did not go further. That was last year. I've also done the Carmel river too. It's fun and is mostly clear. Nothing to bad from cachagua to the ocean, it is fast and fun too. Llagas Creek has a huge redwood it goes under by Morgan Hill above old school. Below that it is fairly clear to the old Monterey highway. Past the perk ponds it is clear to walmart in Gilroy. Sorry this was so long. Lol I'm just a River rat. Anyone game for coiyote river above dam? Or below dam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose