Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:36 PM

327 posts, read 961,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Looking for a point in the rant.....

Still looking....
To entertain other buyers who are currently poking their periscopes up to see if they should take the dive into home ownership. Because honestly....SV homes are complete puke everyone knows it. Don't defend it. Your home isn't charming. It's overpriced. It's in dire need of renovation. If homeowners here actually paid taxes on the assessed value of their home, many of them would have left years ago. Heck, we'd have more liquidity in the housing market and probably cheaper property values as a result.

The purpose of my rant is the same as the OP. Folks gotta vent sometimes. Everyone knows the 5 stages of grief. It starts with denial and then anger (my current stage). Then comes bargaining ("Why didn't we buy in 2010, why didn't we move to SD or Austin, Seattle's weather isn't that bad is it?", etc..). Then there's depression for folks that know they just have to rent and live like poppers for several more years to save up. Eventually comes acceptance where they hold their nose and submit the P&S agreement (most likely many attempts). This cycle may repeat itself several times and people may jump from Depression right back to Anger before completing all 5 stages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 10:50 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,809,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsugrad03 View Post
To entertain other buyers who are currently poking their periscopes up to see if they should take the dive into home ownership. Because honestly....SV homes are complete puke everyone knows it. Don't defend it. Your home isn't charming. It's overpriced. It's in dire need of renovation. If homeowners here actually paid taxes on the assessed value of their home, many of them would have left years ago. Heck, we'd have more liquidity in the housing market and probably cheaper property values as a result.

The purpose of my rant is the same as the OP. Folks gotta vent sometimes. Everyone knows the 5 stages of grief. It starts with denial and then anger (my current stage). Then comes bargaining ("Why didn't we buy in 2010, why didn't we move to SD or Austin, Seattle's weather isn't that bad is it?", etc..). Then there's depression for folks that know they just have to rent and live like poppers for several more years to save up. Eventually comes acceptance where they hold their nose and submit the P&S agreement (most likely many attempts). This cycle may repeat itself several times and people may jump from Depression right back to Anger before completing all 5 stages.
Or: You take a quick look and see that foreign investment and lots of highly-paid techies, combined with ultra-tight housing stock have resulted in the state of this market, and either dive into the fray...or don't. No use burning up energy getting upset over it. Unless we want to lay blame on certain entities for exacerbating the situation (businesses/developers/policies/???).

Old 12-10-2014, 11:12 PM

424 posts, read 550,515 times
I agree with WSU about the tax situation. This is the only place that a 1950 home that is worth 1.5M is taxes at $758/year. less that a new iphone costs.

there is a taxation problem here, without which supply may actually meet demand.

I may and should voice my opinion on this bizarre setup.

Perhaps it touches a nerve with some.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:58 PM

781 posts, read 741,258 times
Amen! It is nice to hear that others (WSU and dburbs) feel the same as me regarding the tax situation.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:00 AM

781 posts, read 741,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dburbs1975 View Post
I agree with WSU about the tax situation. This is the only place that a 1950 home that is worth 1.5M is taxes at $758/year. less that a new iphone costs.

there is a taxation problem here, without which supply may actually meet demand.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 12-11-2014, 03:44 PM

327 posts, read 961,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Or: You take a quick look and see that foreign investment and lots of highly-paid techies, combined with ultra-tight housing stock have resulted in the state of this market, and either dive into the fray...or don't. No use burning up energy getting upset over it. Unless we want to lay blame on certain entities for exacerbating the situation (businesses/developers/policies/???).
I'm well aware of what is driving housing prices. Doesn't mean I won't complain about the frustrating and agonizing process of buying a home here. If you know of an individual that recently bought a home without breaking a sweat with 20% down, please capture this person safely so that we may study it.

Too bad the bay area doesn't have the equivalent of www.seattlebubble.com. That site had great data analysis into real estate in Seattle. With prices so extreme here, I would have expected someone to do some number crunching of the public MLS data without the Realtor lip service Kool-Aid.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:31 AM

423 posts, read 607,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsugrad03 View Post
Too bad the bay area doesn't have the equivalent of www.seattlebubble.com. That site had great data analysis into real estate in Seattle. With prices so extreme here, I would have expected someone to do some number crunching of the public MLS data without the Realtor lip service Kool-Aid.
There are many realtors' blog or website with trend data. Some data are not so special and you can get the same info off redfin, trulia, or zillow. Other do their own calculations, analysis, and assessment. Below are the better ones I have seen:

This blog has unique analysis of the data, done monthly. I find it useful as a summary.
November 2014 newsletter | JohnFyten.com

This website has tons of trend data. By SM & SC counties and by cities. The trend data goes back to 15 years. A lot of data, but no analysis nor commentary. You do your own interpretation of data.
Santa Clara County Home Values - Santa Clara County Real Estate Statistics

This website provides snapshot of current situation. I see similar data elsewhere, so I think this might report sent out to realtors:
Silicon Valley real estate market trend report December 2014

Last edited by jk88cal; 12-12-2014 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Fix Links

Old 12-12-2014, 02:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,269,484 times
Amazingly enough, some sellers don't listen to us and do what they darn well feel like doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose