Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:51 AM

525 posts, read 810,842 times

Advertisements

Recently heard in news the existing carpool lanes on highway 85 will have an option to pay toll to drive solo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 01:46 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,191,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
Recently heard in news the existing carpool lanes on highway 85 will have an option to pay toll to drive solo.
I mostly approve, as long as it is congestion priced. I know people deride HOT lanes as "Lexus Lanes" but I do think they provide a valuable option for folks who aren't daily users of the road. For example -- through travelers, or folks who don't normally commute the route but have a need to do a one off trip.

To add -- even if you don't want to pay for it yourself, it helps you a bit by taking some vehicle traffic out of the mainline and moving it to the HOT lane.

The only people HOT lanes really "hurt" are actual carpoolers. But if you congestion price it right to maintain a certain level of traffic flow, they shouldn't take that big a hit either.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:49 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,756,678 times
I agree, I think it's a great idea as long as the tolls are set to whatever level is necessary to keep the lanes flowing. I would like to see this option on all Bay Area freeways.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:02 AM

525 posts, read 810,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
I agree, I think it's a great idea as long as the tolls are set to whatever level is necessary to keep the lanes flowing. I would like to see this option on all Bay Area freeways.
Certainly on this forum attitude toward toll expressways is different. Funny thing, when I asked people from Chicago forum if they would like that option, they really opposed it and ridiculed, even if new HOT lane was from widening, not converting existing lanes.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:27 PM

2,552 posts, read 2,447,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
Here's the VTA's page on the matter.

Personally, I believe we'll simply fill up the lanes and return to equilibrium. What we really need on 85 is something that offers an order of magnitude user increase, like a bus-only lane for BRT and for corporate shuttles (for a toll).

Old 01-08-2015, 07:26 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,059,543 times
The major problem I've seen with the HOT lanes is with the controlled entry, you're artificially creating another layer of merging and that is hell on traffic patterns. Just watch what happens in the mile or two before the HOT on I-680 or SR-237 during peak rush.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:21 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,009,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The major problem I've seen with the HOT lanes is with the controlled entry, you're artificially creating another layer of merging and that is hell on traffic patterns. Just watch what happens in the mile or two before the HOT on I-680 or SR-237 during peak rush.
I agree. This drives me nuts. The other night I was in the HOV lane on I-680 in Fremont and needed to get off at Scott Creek. I missed the opening beforehand and had to go all the way to Calaveras to get off the freeway. Of course I could've just crossed the double lines like many people do, but it's not worth the potential ticket.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:58 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,653,945 times
When traffic is bad on 680 the hov lane is usually not moving much better. At none traffic times I like how the lane still has a 50 cent charge even though it would not be beneficial for someone to drive that lane. The carpool lanes were invented to get cars off the road by ride sharing I find it offensive that they allow people to buy their way into the lane now and have used it as a revenue stream for the state.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:05 PM

2,552 posts, read 2,447,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
When traffic is bad on 680 the hov lane is usually not moving much better. At none traffic times I like how the lane still has a 50 cent charge even though it would not be beneficial for someone to drive that lane. The carpool lanes were invented to get cars off the road by ride sharing I find it offensive that they allow people to buy their way into the lane now and have used it as a revenue stream for the state.
To be fair, economists are generally in support of moving toward a toll-based model for funding highways, and I'm in favor of this blended model vs. the alternative given increasing traffic volumes on our highways.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,059,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
To be fair, economists are generally in support of moving toward a toll-based model for funding highways, and I'm in favor of this blended model vs. the alternative given increasing traffic volumes on our highways.
I'm all for toll roads, but these are economists supporting the matter, not planners. Congestion pricing does nothing to improve traffic patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: