Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:34 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,848,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
That's a matter of opinion. I find the people there generally to be rather ghetto.
That's un-possible. Milpitas are generally full of well-behaved Asian folks Don't let the crowd at the theatre fool ya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 10:56 PM

30,860 posts, read 36,775,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
This is a good assessment. I grew up in Milpitas and my parents still live there. I do notice the smell occasionally in their neighborhood. Not all of Milpitas gets the odor though. Milpitas is actually a nicely maintained, clean suburban city with low crime and good schools. I'd consider it a value compared to Mountain View.

There are pros/cons to both cities in my opinion. MV has a decent downtown area whereas Milpitas doesn't have a downtown. Milpitas does have a lot of shopping and dining options (especially Asian restaurants) though and is closer to San Jose for more shopping/dining/entertainment options. MV is expensive, bot not as expensive as neighboring cities like Los Altos and Palo Alto. Milpitas is generally cheaper than its neighboring cities, Fremont and San Jose. Both cities are in good central Bay Area locations. Milpitas has the dramatic backdrop of Monument Peak and the foothills and MV has the backdrop of the Santa Cruz mountains. Mountain View is closer to San Francisco and Milpitas is closer to East Bay locations and San Jose. These are just some comparisons.

I think it really just comes down to value and personal preference
Great analysis, as usual. I think the bottom line for the OP is he has to make cost his highest priority, at least for now. IMO, your quality of life never gets anywhere in the long run if you don't have some decent savings ahead of you.

MV would probably be better if he could easily afford it, but he really can't easily afford it on his current income.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:26 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,046,861 times
OP, go Mountain View and commute via light rail + bus instead of driving.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:25 PM

525 posts, read 811,334 times
Thanks everyone but I think I am gonna go with Milpitas. The quality of old apartments without AC for >2200 drives me nuts ( just toured few of these). I am from Chicagoland where quality of apartments is better for less, originally from Poland where they built even old houses and apartments from bricks and solid concrete instead cheap junk thin wood desks that makes impression you live with neighbors in one living room.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:47 PM

30,860 posts, read 36,775,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
Thanks everyone but I think I am gonna go with Milpitas. The quality of old apartments without AC for >2200 drives me nuts ( just toured few of these). I am from Chicagoland where quality of apartments is better for less, originally from Poland where they built even old houses and apartments from bricks and solid concrete instead cheap junk thin wood desks that makes impression you live with neighbors in one living room.
Yes, I haven't been to Poland but from what I saw of Germany & Austria the housing quality is much better in those countries. They build cheap junk in America, especially in the areas with warmer weather. I really don't think you need AC in Mountain View, though. It's typically a few degrees cooler in Summer than in SJ, but your overall point is well taken.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:05 AM

4,307 posts, read 6,234,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I really don't think you need AC in Mountain View, though. It's typically a few degrees cooler in Summer than in SJ, but your overall point is well taken.
I don't agree with your assessment. I lived in Mtn View for 5 years and when it did get warm/hot, our apartment could get around 80 degrees or so. You could probably get by without AC, but for me, that's not comfortable sleeping weather.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:46 PM

424 posts, read 548,921 times
they use light building materials here due to earthquakes. the building quality, though, is crap for the most part, I am finding. Similarly dated tract style homes in the midwest are brick.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:07 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,304,768 times
I'd pick Mountain View. Why not Campbell? Sunnyvale?

Old 02-14-2015, 04:09 AM

124 posts, read 141,107 times
The city of Sunnyvale is located between Milpitas and Mountain View. Much more affordable than Mountain View.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:37 AM

424 posts, read 548,921 times
sunnyvale borders on mv. it is a liittle bit more affordable these days. no "much"

if you have no kids, rent in school districts with schools rated < 5. that's where the low prices are.

unless it's atherton. but even there, the slums of atherton rent out cheaper than the rest of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose