Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:28 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
I dont understand the fuss here. There is now a post asking for a 'good town for a white man' and its not met with any racist remarks. Yet anytime a person asks for 'Indian' or 'Chinese ' there is a bunch of rude remarks. Its hypocritical.
This was actually the first post I've seen of someone wanting to live in a white neighborhood. Agreed it probably wasn't the best choice of words. However, I see people asking to live in Asian/Indian neighborhoods on this board all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 01:11 PM

215 posts, read 260,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
This was actually the first post I've seen of someone wanting to live in a white neighborhood. Agreed it probably wasn't the best choice of words. However, I see people asking to live in Asian/Indian neighborhoods on this board all the time.
Roadwarrior- The only ones who do ask about Asian / Indian neighborhoods are first generation immigrants and their mentality is entirely different. Its natural to want a few Asian neighbors and some connection to back home. Enclaves of first generation immigrants have always existed in America. Now by the second and third generation they are pretty well assimilated. When I first moved to the US 11 years ago (to the midwest) I too wanted a few Asian neighbors. Now we are settled in and get along just fine with our American and Mexican neighbors.
All that said, there is no reason that life should be made easier for immigrants and they are welcome to as much derision as possible.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:16 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
Quote:
I dont understand the fuss here. There is now a post asking for a 'good town for a white man' and its not met with any racist remarks. Yet anytime a person asks for 'Indian' or 'Chinese ' there is a bunch of rude remarks. Its hypocritical.
Not really. The white guy didn't ask to find a "white community". He just mentioned that he happened to be white and was asking about a good place to live based on who he is. I can't even count how many times I've seen posts from Indian people coming here looking to live in "Indian neighborhoods/apartments/etc.". It's one thing to mention your ethnicity and another thing to say you're specifically looking to live around your own ethnicity.

I can see your point, but this thread was definitely a "grey area" for me. I didn't see the OP as being racist or insular as many other threads I've seen on this forum.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:49 AM

163 posts, read 796,987 times
There was quite a bit of "plz-send-me-the-codez" vibe in the original post, which is why not many folks dont sympathise with requests like these.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:26 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Quote:
I think its a reasonable request given that whites are a minority in the Bay Area (and in CA in general).

There are not going to be any complexes in Milipitas and Santa Clara that don't have any Indians (Asians, really, lets call them what they demanded to be called in order to jump on the Affirmative Action gravy train, shall we?). So asking for Indian apartments - a very specific local housing condition and inquiry which would be prohibited from answer by a licensed real estate agent - seems to be a bit more egregious and unPC than simply asking which towns haven't been largely or totally taken over by foreigners, mostly Asians.

Consider as one such instance Cupertino, which is probably the "least diverse" community in all of Silicon Valley. It was probably Cupertino that the poster of the "good town for a white man" thread had in mind as the exemplar of places that made him feel like an outsider.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:10 PM

402 posts, read 538,584 times
Hello yogeshdhaneshwar,

You can find cute and affordable Indian apartments back to India. Here in America we have apartments only for "regular people" regardless of their ethnicity, race or language spoken.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:26 PM

26 posts, read 96,144 times
I am of Indian origin and moved to the US 20+ years back. When I moved here I tried to assimilate myself into the society which I was moving into. If I wanted to be with Indians and just be around Indian families and eventually want my kids to be only around Indian kids, I would have just stayed back in India. I just find it quite offensive actually to be asking these types of questions on a public forum such as this. Just go and post on Sulekha.com or forums primarily geared towards the Indian communities if that's the ultimate desire or better still, if you want to stay insular and just be around Indian families & kids - I would suggest the OP to go back to India. Don't get me wrong - majority of the families I interact with are of Indian origin, but I don't have to be their neighbors and my kids don't have to only interact with Indian kids. After all if they grow up here and stay here, they will have to work in a society that has all different kinds of people. How will they survive then? These types of individuals want to move to the US just from a financial perspective, not wanting to even try and get assimilated into a society they eventually want to call home. That is what I find hypocritical - not all the reaction from the other responders to the OP.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:44 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
There is a large Indian population in the Rivermark area, but the apartments won't be cheap. Also, anywhere in Sunnyvale will have many Indian families. There is a mobile home park in Sunnyvale, where the owners bought all of the mobile homes and they rent them out as rentals. They're pretty inexpensive, relative to the apartments in that area. I forget the name of the street it's on. Maybe someone here will know what I'm talking about.

For all we know, the OP's wife might be afraid of not having another woman to talk to in her language while he's at work all day.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:33 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,908 times
Good grief this area is going to the dogs.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:07 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achatter View Post
I am of Indian origin and moved to the US 20+ years back. When I moved here I tried to assimilate myself into the society which I was moving into. If I wanted to be with Indians and just be around Indian families and eventually want my kids to be only around Indian kids, I would have just stayed back in India. I just find it quite offensive actually to be asking these types of questions on a public forum such as this. Just go and post on Sulekha.com or forums primarily geared towards the Indian communities if that's the ultimate desire or better still, if you want to stay insular and just be around Indian families & kids - I would suggest the OP to go back to India. Don't get me wrong - majority of the families I interact with are of Indian origin, but I don't have to be their neighbors and my kids don't have to only interact with Indian kids. After all if they grow up here and stay here, they will have to work in a society that has all different kinds of people. How will they survive then? These types of individuals want to move to the US just from a financial perspective, not wanting to even try and get assimilated into a society they eventually want to call home. That is what I find hypocritical - not all the reaction from the other responders to the OP.
Very well said! It's refreshing to get perspective from somebody who actually is Indian. I was born and raised in the South Bay and have always been used to being around people from all different racial and ethnic backgrounds. Diversity is one of the things I love about the Bay Area. I think it's crazy for somebody to move here and not want to integrate themselves into our community.

A few years back, one of my favorite former co-workers was an Indian lady. A large portion of our clientele is Indian and I used to think it was so funny when she'd tell me that she can't stand Indian people in America. She would always say how rude and demanding they are when they come to this country. Obviously it's a generalization but she had a point. I found Indians living in India to be warm and welcoming. My co-worker told me it's because many Indian people who move here would basically think that they're better than other Indians who haven't made it over here. She says it's especially bad among many Indian people who become wealthy over here. This is coming from somebody who is Indian. Obviously it doesn't apply to all Indians who come here, but based on the Indian people I met on my trip to India and the Indian people I encounter in the U.S., there was quite a bit of truth to what she said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose