Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,121 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,
We are possibly going to buy a home near 101 and 13th/Oakland street. My bad I didn't get to this forum earlier but now need urgent advice for the area near 13th/101 as I need to respond to builder by tomorrow morning to get a better deal. Please let me know. I am little concerned about crime as mostly in last few years I lived in Santa Clara / Sunnyvale area and felt pretty safe but that area looks a little rough. Please share your experience... Also I see new communities are building in that area, so I am hoping we will see some Safeways/walmarts/Lucky and other type of stores instead of Mom/Pop stores and shops.

Thanks in advance and looking forward for suggestions.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 12:29 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,068,815 times
That area is known as Luna Park, not to be confused with the illustrious restaurant quarter in the Mission district of San Francisco which bears the same name. It's an older part of town, and it has a lot of history dating back to when San Jose was the capitol of California and even earlier. Luna Park was an amusement park between 13th and 17th Streets, now defunct.

As for safety - San Jose is safer than San Francisco, Oakland, and all but a handful of other major metro areas. I graduated from SJSU and spent a lot of time in San Jose's downtown, and for as many people as there were walking around at any given time, there were never any real problems.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:46 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,559,841 times
It's not terrible, but I probably wouldn't move there. Why would you buy a place if you are unsure of the area???

Old 02-02-2008, 03:58 PM

87 posts, read 388,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo08 View Post
Hi Folks,
We are possibly going to buy a home near 101 and 13th/Oakland street. My bad I didn't get to this forum earlier but now need urgent advice for the area near 13th/101 as I need to respond to builder by tomorrow morning to get a better deal. Please let me know. I am little concerned about crime as mostly in last few years I lived in Santa Clara / Sunnyvale area and felt pretty safe but that area looks a little rough. Please share your experience... Also I see new communities are building in that area, so I am hoping we will see some Safeways/walmarts/Lucky and other type of stores instead of Mom/Pop stores and shops.

Thanks in advance and looking forward for suggestions.

Regards
Not a very nice neighborhood... Have you seen the area? Would you like pictures? If so, I cannot get them today, but next week sometime I could go snap some.

I wouldn't consider it the safest part of San Jose, but wouldn't be afraid to walk out of my house. I wouldn't buy a home there.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:08 PM

17 posts, read 87,119 times
I would never live over there....you must be looking at the brand new Modern Ice townhomes. I hope they are giving one hell of an incentive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose