Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:29 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,685 times

Advertisements

Statistically speaking, Monta Vista housing is more expensive than Cupertino High. It might be a turnoff for you that Monta Vista is too competitive, but most parents in the Bay area just want the best academic results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
As for schools - I'm not so sure Monta Vista is necessarily a better choice than Cupertino High.

MV (and Lynbrook) are schools with hyper competitive, high pressure environments. 'Tino is long known to have a more balanced school/life balance. Parents should consider what sort of an environment or school culture their child can thrive in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 02:36 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Statistically speaking, Monta Vista housing is more expensive than Cupertino High. It might be a turnoff for you that Monta Vista is too competitive, but most parents in the Bay area just want the best academic results.
I am quite aware of the "so-called" relative merits of area schools and the residential attendance boundaries. Cupertino High isn't a bad school, not at all.

It isn't about a trivial "turn-off". I work in education and unfortunately the "best academic results" aren't necessarily suitable for all kids. Over here in PA we've been hit by a couple of suicides by high school students from both Gunn and Paly.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:04 PM

115 posts, read 230,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post

Cons:
-Way, way overpriced (and will probably go $100k-200k above asking). Then again, its par for the course for the Silicon Valley
-Cupertino is not the most interesting community. Just suburban sprawl, albeit upscale. I would rather live somewhere lik Los Gatos

More like it will go for 200-350 over asking.

totally agree on point #2, not really a lot to do in Cupertino. its upscale and it's fine. but it's way over priced (as is the entire bay). schools are extremely good, but also extremely competitive.

Personally, I'd also look in Los Gatos, or even Saratoga if you can afford it. LG might be a bit of a commute depending on where you work, but if I had my free pick, I'd go up the Los Gatos hills. Not Cupertino.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:29 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Maricopa is not a nice area and the schools aren't very good. Maybe Scottsdale or Paradise Valley would be a better comparison?
I'll give you that the schools aren't very good but, its a low crime area jam packed with new development. I wouldn't say it's a bad area at all. You do have me on schools though so perhaps Scottsdale is a better comparison.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
You've got to be kidding. Rancho Rinconada? We used to call it Rancho Rinky-dink (Because of the quality of the construction) and it was generally considered to be probably the least desirable of all of Cupertino. Even today, after widespread gentrification, and annexation, this area is far from the "premier location" in Cupertino - not much east of even say, Stelling could be considered premier, btw. The best schools are all westside.

I think it would be very foolish to spend $2.5M in Cupertino. And if you were going to spend it there, there are much better neighborhoods.

I can say without reservation that if I intended to spend $2.5M on property, Cupertino wouldn't even make my top ten list of places to look.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:01 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
I LOL'd at the price. Aside from that I'm sure it's perfectly nice, if you want to live in Cupertino and desire close proximity to the intersection of a major freeway with a major expressway. According to your link, the current owner paid $655k in 2010.
Yah. That was $655K for a teardown. Figure $300/sq for the build. He's into it for 1.5M and wants to clear a million bucks.

But this is not a $2.5M property.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:44 PM

238 posts, read 302,534 times
for some reason this thread popped into my head. i looked up the property and it was not on the market, nor had it been listed and taken down. what was up with the original post?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 PM

53 posts, read 176,039 times
According to Zillow, it was listed for about two months and then taken down on 5/31/2015

Old 08-06-2015, 08:10 AM

238 posts, read 302,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondys View Post
According to Zillow, it was listed for about two months and then taken down on 5/31/2015
Thanks for that. I looked and did not see that info.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:49 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
That used to be considered "the bad neighborhood" of 'tino. I would ignore some of the comments about run down homes. They will all be gone eventually (either gone by nice upgrades or more drastic quasi-tear downs). That area's been discovered by Chinese (and Chinese immigrant) cash buyers, game over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose