Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 09:50 PM

207 posts, read 257,336 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just saw that some companies do not pay wages (or steal wages) to workers. Workers cannot do much because there are no obligations for a company to pay salary.

Sacramento Tries to Fix California's Wage Theft Problem | NBC Bay Area

From the post above, I understand that few companies have their 'business model's around this phenomenon.

I ran into similar situation last year when I met with an accident. Actually it was not my fault and the hospital bill was 70k. Insurance covered 66k and I paid 4k out of my pocket. I tried to sue the faulty person's insurance using a lawyer with standard 33-66% settlement split. Lawyer did not give me a cent. When i try to contact them they hang up my phone call. When I tried to change lawyer, I read the 6 page contract which prohibited me from doing that. It basically meant- if i do so, i owe huge money to my current lawyer. The new lawyer said - 'it is upto faulty party's insurance company to pay how much money they want to'. which means they do not owe 4k to me or 70k to my health insurance. They can pay whatever amount they want to pay and have their own caps whatsoever. I believe my current lawyer did some offline negotiation or played some undertable dirty tricks and got some money from faulty insurance so that no one goes to court etc.

Similar situation happened to one of my coworkers. He paid like 3k fees to a lawyer to defend falsely accused hit and run and lawyer did not do much. These so called lawyers have great ratings on yelp, avvo etc but arent much useful.

I see so many news like recent ones with Baltimore, MD then a few months ago about Fergusson, then there was one incident in Huntsville AL where a person(who travelled overseas to take care of grandson) was beaten up by police.

I have lost faith in laws and lawyers long back. But the concern is, is this true for CA or for whole US. Are these loopholes or these are laws. Is this true outside US ?

-Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 12:23 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,105 times
Sounds like complete and total BS to me.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:18 AM

207 posts, read 257,336 times
@marcopolo
I have put nbcbayarea link which has the details and freddy gray case in MD is what the other news incidence. I also saw on cnn that a lady tried to take video of some marshall and he vandalized her phone. The couple of incidences I mentioned about myself and friend are true. Perhaps you havent dealt with lawyers and you dont know how really things work. Yesterday I met a person who started pulling me in amway business. I wonder how such companies still thrive and make huge profits. Such companies should be banned.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:00 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
No.."wage theft" is not theft, but rather a civil dispute which lies in the same realm as any other court ordered judgement : difficult to collect.

As for the Amway - its not illegal because its not fraudulent and does not run afoul of SEC regulations or other federal laws (unlike many MLM businesses).

Don't know what to tell you about bad cops - that happens everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: