U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 10:15 AM

15,516 posts, read 16,828,128 times

Advertisements

Your wife's future commute is probably tolerable, I'd say 35-45 minutes, depending on traffic. Your future commute, in the afternoon, would be intolerable from Mountain View. You would have a huge back-up on 237, then 880, then the interchange from 880-680 is simply horrible (usually via Mission Blvd). Then, the Sunol grade on 680 is always backed up. I'd estimate 75-90 minutes in the afternoon, easily.

I commuted from Fremont to Pleasanton for a while and that was a reverse commute. We liked Pleasanton so much, that we decided to live there. I changed jobs and my office was in North San Jose and I commuted (only 1-2 days per week) from Pleasanton to North San Jose and it was something I would never want to do again.

Keep in mind, that 680 heading towards south bay is packed in the morning, due to the commuter traffic coming in from Livermore and beyond from 580. In the afternoon, the traffic pattern is reversed.

Pleasanton is a nicer city than Fremont, but commuting from Pleasanton to the south bay, daily, is not recommended at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 12:46 AM

5 posts, read 11,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Your commutes will be terrible...terrible. Period. There's just no way around it. Lots of people do it though. It's a very common commute for many people and you'll be in good company as you sit in the 680 parking lot. Your commute will be far worse than your wife's. Your Friday commute home will be exponentially worse.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it's just reality. Pleasanton is very nice in my opinion though, so in that regard, it may be worth it to you. I'd personally much prefer to live in Pleasanton over Fremont. The commute WILL NOT be fun though.
Hello!

I wanted to thank you for your honest and realistic feedback. I thought I could hack the commute and move to Pleasanton, but I could not handle the commute and moved back within one year. Sitting in traffic for over an hour each way was killing me slowly.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:52 PM

86,082 posts, read 79,278,446 times
OP, I understand you're dazzled by how much more bang you can get for your buck in Pleasanton, but commuting from Pleasanton to Mountain View would take some of the pleasure out of that life, IMO. I would consider alternatives, if you haven't already, such as: looking in Union City bordering Fremont (slightly more affordable), looking in the Hayward hills, possibly Castro Valley. You'll have to compromise a little, but you might be happier in the longer-term. A horrible commute can really wear you down.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:00 PM

2,654 posts, read 4,221,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I understand you're dazzled by how much more bang you can get for your buck in Pleasanton, but commuting from Pleasanton to Mountain View would take some of the pleasure out of that life, IMO. I would consider alternatives, if you haven't already, such as: looking in Union City bordering Fremont (slightly more affordable), looking in the Hayward hills, possibly Castro Valley. You'll have to compromise a little, but you might be happier in the longer-term. A horrible commute can really wear you down.
I don't think the commute from Hayward or Castro Valley to Mountain View will be any easier vs Pleasanton. 880 is terrible during the morning/evening commutes as well and the communities just aren't as nice. The wife's commute will be marginally better, but I'd only recommend this if the OP is looking for cheaper housing stock vs a shorter commute.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:28 PM

6,090 posts, read 3,247,151 times
The OP currently lists his zip code as 94539 which is Fremont, the Warm Springs Area.

This thread began in 2015 and the OP came back two days ago just to thank everyone. He made his choice and does not need further advice.

It is time to close this thread.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:19 PM

2,301 posts, read 5,127,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
The OP currently lists his zip code as 94539 which is Fremont, the Warm Springs Area.

This thread began in 2015 and the OP came back two days ago just to thank everyone. He made his choice and does not need further advice.

It is time to close this thread.

Actually, the original poster just added some useful information that could probably be beneficial to other people who might be considering the same commute. It's actually nice when people come back to give updates later on after the original threads they start. It's one thing when new people come into a thread offering advice that's no longer relevant, but it's different when the original poster comes back with an update to their original post. Most of the time, we're all left wondering how things played out.

You're not a forum moderator, are you? Also, you need to chill out with when and where people should be allowed to post in these forums. The 94539 zip code of Fremont (Warm Springs/Mission San Jose) borders Milpitas. There's nothing unreasonable about him posting in the San Jose forum instead of the SF-Oakland forum...which seems to be another issue that you have.

Last edited by mstnghu2; 07-09-2018 at 06:29 PM..

Old 07-10-2018, 03:42 AM

15,803 posts, read 9,986,063 times
Moderator here - agreed with post #16. Please carry on and stay on topic - no further attempts at moderation, discussing moderation, or discussing other CD members posting preferences

Old 07-11-2018, 01:03 PM

7,688 posts, read 26,625,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2001 View Post
Hello!

I wanted to thank you for your honest and realistic feedback. I thought I could hack the commute and move to Pleasanton, but I could not handle the commute and moved back within one year. Sitting in traffic for over an hour each way was killing me slowly.

It does. I've had commutes of 15-30 minutes before, now it is 60-90 minutes depending on traffic. It's a reverse commute on 880, but it's almost worse because it's a very stressful drive. Traffic is heavy enough that 55 is about all you can do safely, but you still have people trying to gun it and go 75 for a couple carlengths before slamming on their brakes because oh gosh, there's another car there going exactly the same speed. And another. And another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or