Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,300,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Looks like the corner of Santa Clara and Almaden Boulevard. Yes?
Just about. It's directly under 87.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 04:19 PM

16 posts, read 102,523 times
Hi Outdoorgirlplus2

The decision is tough one as both areas have a lot going for them. You could be very happy living in either area. There are several nice areas in between/near to both locations (Scotts Valley, Los Gatos - though Los Gatos is a bit spendy, Campbell).

I recommend Santa Cruz. Even if it means a commute to San Jose. I have lived in both SC and SJ and overall preferred Santa Cruz. I preferred SC because it has a friendly and welcoming community, it is located by the ocean, it is pedestrian and bicycle- friendly, it has a nice centralized downtown area with a bit of a villagey feel, did I mention the beaches? It has a mellow community feel to it and a very nice pace of life. To me it feels like a healthier place to live, you can walk places and are surrounded by folks who love healthy, outdoor living.

I also think your daughter is right to strongly consider UCSC. It's a great school with lots to offer its students. I really got a lot from my time there. As a previsous poster mentioned there are other schools in the area so she would do well to take her time and research all of her options, there are also great community colleges where she could get started until she finds the right 4-year-school for her.

Best of luck with the move.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:24 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,011,452 times
Having lived in both towns, I'd pick the San Jose side. Your daughters' schedule will change every quarter, and she may be out during summer months, but you'll be doing the commute every day. I think Los Gatos would be an ideal area for you if you can swing the $. Depending on your life style, keep in mind that Santa Cruz is liberal in the extreme, too much for my taste, but some people love that atmosphere.
They do have great surf, though.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 PM

24 posts, read 63,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Santa cruz is a small coastal town and San Jose is an unattractive sprawling suburban "city" (not really a city in any true sense, but very large). Given the choice, I'd say SC is far safer, but SJ has pockets that are very safe. SJ is simply too big to generalize in terms of safety, but SC is almost all nice.
I have to agree with you JakeDog.

Although many folks on hear do not want to hear this, but San Jose is Crap, and Santa Cruz Rules. I could go into greater detail but I'd rather just leave you all with this imperically true statement.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCexpat View Post
I have to agree with you JakeDog.

Although many folks on hear do not want to hear this, but San Jose is Crap, and Santa Cruz Rules. I could go into greater detail but I'd rather just leave you all with this imperically true statement.
You anti-SJ people aren't doing much for your cause...

Old 01-30-2008, 07:19 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,559,480 times
Whats with all the San Jose bashing. Sure if you hang in certain areas you will be unimpressed. But to generalize the whole city, one that is named the safest big city year in and out, is not fair.

Ever been to the Rose Garden area?? Plenty of charming old homes and shops. What about Willow Glen?? Same thing there. Downtown Mountain View sure isn't crap.

San Francisco is far more dangerous, but still get's that "world class" tag put on it.

I've lived in places 1/3 of the size of San Jose that are FAR more dangerous.

Peace I'm out!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 PM

50 posts, read 109,148 times
Hey,
Just wanted to add that I am also an RN and lived in Los Gatos for 13 months about 2 years ago. It was superb! I worked at Good Samaritan Hospital (South San Jose, close to LG) when we lived there an was treated exceptionally well. I think most hospitals in the bay area are better with their RN's because the shortage is hitting them harder than most of the country. I was in an ICU unit and it was so great to have a cap on the number of patients. Plus the pay it amazing! In Ohio, where we live now, the hospital doesn't pay extra for holidays! I couldn't believe it. It's not worth it to make $26/hr and miss Christmas with my kids! In SJ, I made double that for regular pay. We plan to return this summer we loved it so much.
Good Luck to you!!!!

Last edited by Agenias; 01-30-2008 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: forgot line

Old 01-31-2008, 09:13 AM

24 posts, read 63,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Whats with all the San Jose bashing. Sure if you hang in certain areas you will be unimpressed. But to generalize the whole city, one that is named the safest big city year in and out, is not fair.

Ever been to the Rose Garden area?? Plenty of charming old homes and shops. What about Willow Glen?? Same thing there. Downtown Mountain View sure isn't crap.

San Francisco is far more dangerous, but still get's that "world class" tag put on it.

I've lived in places 1/3 of the size of San Jose that are FAR more dangerous.

Peace I'm out!
I just don't judge a city by their crime statistics. Sure I wouldn't live in Richmond or Oakland, but to choose to live in San Jose over San Francisco because of crime, just baffles me.

I think some of us do not consider SJ a great city because of it's layout. Sprawled out on this valley it is impossible to walk this city. And San Joise is not alone. Places like LA, Pheonix, Houston are all notorious for their poor layout and subsequent dependence on the automobile to do anything.

If you love any of those other cities ,which many people do, than SJ is a great place to live. Many folks just don't like to walk places, and enjoy taking their vehicles from their garage directly to their local strip mall parking lot. It is 'convenient, but also means you do not have to interact with anyone along the way.

The great part about walking in cities like NY, Boston, SF is that you are forced out into the community to partake in it. But I am an Urbanite and feel that density is is our path to better communities both socially and environmentally.

Places that embrace sprawl are inherrently unsustainable and are a recent construct of the automobile age. Our contribution to Global warming and our dependence on Middle East oil is in direct connection to the sprawling layout of our newer cities. To battle these problems requires a change in our thinking, and one of those changes must be a rejection of urban sprawl.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:37 AM

Why is SJ always judged by its outer fringes? You can walk all over the central part of the city. Not everything is Almaden Expressway.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:39 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,011,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCexpat View Post
... San Jose is Crap, and Santa Cruz Rules. I could go into greater detail but I'd rather just leave you all with this imperically true statement.
HAHAHAHAHA! Name:  foreheadslap.gif
Views: 916
Size:  658 BytesName:  foreheadslap.gif
Views: 916
Size:  658 Bytes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose