U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 PM

1,923 posts, read 1,444,703 times

Advertisements

To me it is a no brainer. I would move to Silicon Valley in a heartbeat. I was a software engineer in SV for several years. I am also very familiar with Seattle and the PNW having lived there. I like Seattle but can't take the dull dreary rainy weather. I would think you should be able to get at least 20-25% increase in salary. That has been my personal experience and also what the salary web sites show.

We loved the San Francisco Bay area though we now live in Southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 07:10 PM

1,386 posts, read 2,114,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
To me it is a no brainer. I would move to Silicon Valley in a heartbeat. I was a software engineer in SV for several years. I am also very familiar with Seattle and the PNW having lived there. I like Seattle but can't take the dull dreary rainy weather. I would think you should be able to get at least 20-25% increase in salary. That has been my personal experience and also what the salary web sites show.

We loved the San Francisco Bay area though we now live in Southern California.
This thread was started in 2008. I'm sure the OP has probably made a decision by now.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 PM

748 posts, read 1,023,949 times
JohnSoCal...... What would possess you to drag up this thread from 2008??? Why????? Just to see how many people tell you it's old?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 PM

1,508 posts, read 1,040,983 times
I think it was dragged up just for me My husband is having a helluva time finding a new role at Microsoft but has an onsite interview in SJ next week. I love Seattle (LOVE the weather!) and I don't want to move but the responses to this post, albeit old, are a little reassuring.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM

1,923 posts, read 1,444,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
JohnSoCal...... What would possess you to drag up this thread from 2008??? Why????? Just to see how many people tell you it's old?
I thought maybe the OP was procrastinating.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:42 AM

271 posts, read 534,049 times
LOL. Well, I'm the OP and I discovered this thread is still getting hits years later. At least I can follow up with it.

Turns out we didn't move to SV. We stayed in Seattle, and grew our family. We've made a few visits to the Bay Area to check things out. We love the area, and would still like to move there. In fact, it's an annual ritual that starts right around now as seasonal depression sinks in in the land of the drizzle. Don't get me wrong. I think Seattle is great in so many ways, and we live quite nicely in a very nice home in a highly desirable east side suburb. I would venture a guess that the house we currently live in would cost 3+ mil or so in Mountain View, or Cupertino....which we could never afford. Every city has it's new set of problems, but fighting poor morale every year through the wet season just doesn't seem to scale to the kind of quality of life we're looking for.

So yes, we will likely be making an attempt to finally move to SV in 2014. The job market is strong. The weather is better. More things to do. It's overall a better fit except in housing, which will be a hard adjustment to make.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:01 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,307,949 times
My better half and I have had opportunities to return to the Silicon Valley over the past couple of years - there is no doubt that the job market is strong there - but we've decided against it for various cost and quality-of-life reasons.

However, I'll save my detailed thoughts for the future thread "Seattle to Silicon Valley - 2014 Edition."

Old 12-27-2013, 12:14 PM

566 posts, read 512,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsugrad03 View Post
LOL. Well, I'm the OP and I discovered this thread is still getting hits years later. At least I can follow up with it.

So yes, we will likely be making an attempt to finally move to SV in 2014. The job market is strong. The weather is better. More things to do. It's overall a better fit except in housing, which will be a hard adjustment to make.
Woo!! A thread where the OP actually came back to give an update?

Just wondering if you guys have considered Fremont. The housing there is more affordable, and it's close to SV.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:28 AM

499 posts, read 603,587 times
Well our dream was to move from California to Seattle, so ...

Anyway, I love San Diego, and I think you will find it far more affordable than San Jose, a bit more affordable than LA (depending upon area and how far out in the burbs you are interested in).

The big question is - how is the job market where you want to live? We left LA area b/c of lack of tech jobs, I do think SD has more to offer than LA and it's better now than it was when we left. But the job prospects are far greater for tech in SJ than the other areas.

You are definitely making a move at the right time. For us moving to SJ area as an 'established' family (meaning kids that are school-aged, dog, more than a decade's worth of stuff) it is a hard transition financially.

To put it in perspective, I used to daydream about a house in Magnolia. Dh would say if we ever we able to move to Seattle area there was no way we could afford Magnolia...maybe maybe Queen Anne, not Magnolia, and probably not either. Now we look at the house in Magnolia and think, "Hey, they're not so expensive."

Good luck with your decision.

ETA: LOL, just saw this thread is 5 years old so your baby is now school-aged...I retract my previous comment about it being the "right time," but still better now than later.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:34 PM

271 posts, read 534,049 times
@flyingsaucermom I'm a SDE at Microsoft, and it took me several attempts to land a job there. All about prep, luck, and confidence. Going to SV will be a bit selective for me since I would like to stick to the top software employers. Lots of competition to get into those companies. We'll see what bites I can get.

@Wintermomma what part of California are you in? I got a job offer in SD a number of years back, but turned it down, but I love the area. Actually, our favorite area is Irvine/Laguna Beach, but the job market is not as strong for software. It's more IC/Hardware centric. SD is a bit weak as well in comparison to SV and Seattle. Seattle is probably the 2nd best tech market outside of SV with Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, and a ton of start-up and tech satellite offices. Weather is just as issue. Unless you're a granola cruncher that has a "weather be damned" attitude, and you're gonna go on your daily jog/bike ride despite the rain, you're probably gonna have the seasonal blues. Seattle has a lot of character and charm outside of the weather, and I don't think there's a more natural beauty in any other American city.

Ultimately, for us it boils down to a decision of, (money-aside), which area do we want to live in. OC is beautiful and has a great beach culture, but I really dislike the L.A. mentality. SV has a good weather, is close to Tahoe skiing, is full of intellectual capital, and a short drive to the city, wine country, and beaches. It just seems to be the best fit for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose