Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2006, 01:42 PM

12 posts, read 74,138 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I just moved here from Chicago, and have no idea about how good/bad traffic and commute times are between cities. I currently live in San Jose and love it. However, I am thinking about taking a job in Burlingame. Is this a commutable distance? Would normal people commute this far? It wasn't a bad commute when I went on my interview, but that was without traffic, too. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I do not wish to relocate to the Peninsula or to San Francisco right now.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 11:04 PM

264 posts, read 831,253 times
I commuted from South San Jose to Mountain View for a little while, and I sure didn't like it. It took me an hour from S. San Jose to Mountain View, leaving at 7:15 am. I would imagine it would take 1 1/2+ hours to commute from SJ to Burlingame. Unless you leave REALLY early you are going to hit lots of gridlock on 87 North, 85 North, and/or 101 North. I could imagine 280 would be bad too.

You might want to look into public transit. Take a look at Caltrain: http://www.caltrain.com/caltrain_map.html. It might be a better option if you don't want to deal with the stress of commuting an hour and a half each way.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:25 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Default Commute

I agree with the last poster... it would take a long time during rush hour, even if you're on 101 the whole way. I used to commute from Palo Alto to San Mateo, but I worked from 1-7pm, so it usually only took 15-20 minutes. When the rush gets going from 4:00-6:30, you'll be crawling the whole way! And unfortunately, that's the more common traffic pattern these days (south - north in the morning & vice-versa), so it will be the worst direction to drive.

I also agree with the poster's other comment, that CalTrain might be the best way... it goes directly from San Jose to Burlingame (Broadway or Burlingame Ave.), and is really fast in comparison to traffic jams. I took the train from Burlingame to San Francisco for a few months, and it was a relaxing 20 minute commute.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:00 PM

12 posts, read 74,138 times
Thank you for your posts. I've decided to commute from San Jose temporarily, until I find a new place in a few months. Thanks for the insight on the south-north commute. I was looking at places in Palo Alto and Mt View, as well, but that would still be a south-north commute. I would not be a happy person if I had to do that twice a day everyday. And my hours are normal business hours, so it's prime rush hour traffic. I hate to leave San Jose, but will probably be looking for something in San Francisco, even though it's alot smaller and lot more urban. I thought that housing in San Jose was cheaper than in SF, but I was sadly mistaken. So, I guess I might as well live up there. Thanks for everything!

Old 11-22-2006, 07:55 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Default Good Idea

I think that's a good idea, to consider moving in a few months... especially to see if the new job works out, since you'd hate to move for nothing! And if/when you do move north, I think you'll really appreciate not having to deal with an awful commute. San Francisco is expensive as **** (insert word of your choice ), but it really is a great city to live in. You might want to also consider the towns of Pacifica, Daly City (certain neighborhoods), Millbrae, San Mateo/Foster City, and Burlingame itself... they'll be cheaper than San Fran, and the commute would be really easy. Anyway, good luck with your decisions!

Old 12-14-2006, 07:49 PM

41 posts, read 281,955 times
I live just north of downtown SJ and I work in Redwood City. In the morning I take HWY 101 and it takes me about 35 minutes to get to work. I work normal hours 8am-4:30pm. It takes me 30 minutes to drive back on HWY 101 South. The distance each way is about 25 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose