Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,558 times

Advertisements

I am a 20 year-old single female. Will be in CA for a training programming for around two months. The site is in Santa Clara and unfortunately i do not and cannot drive so i want to live close to the site (like around 30 minutes drive). I assume I will usually come home around 6.30pm?

I have been living in the east coast for as long as i remember and am not familiar with the situation in CA. I am short and I am not good at fighting.

Is there anywhere safe in Santa Clara where I can stay for two months? Anywhere i can rent or airbnb? I am extremely concerned about my personal safety now. Thanks a lot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 07:05 PM

209 posts, read 256,048 times
Lol, Santa Clara is a pretty safe

place, just letting you know that the

rents are fairly expensive! At your

age, one could have a good time

living around the Santa Clara

university campus and use their

library!

Old 11-17-2015, 07:08 PM

A friend who lives in Dublin told me that there are a lot of pervs around the training site and even though I walk alone on the street for like 15 minutes something bad will happen.
Also, even if i am willing to pay that much, i am not sure if anywhere will let me rent an apt for just two months.. any suggestions on finding a place to stay? Thank you so much!

Old 11-17-2015, 10:23 PM

209 posts, read 256,048 times
Try Craigslist? And perverse people suck, sorry about your plight!

Maybe you'll find someone with a car at the school. I used to give

rides to my friends when I was 20.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:07 AM

44 posts, read 58,284 times
if you're not driving, you'll probably want to find a living situation on a bus route that passes by your training site.
you can't get very far, and you wont have many options if your plan is just to walk.
what bus routes run near the training site?
check the VTA website for bus routes.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:47 AM

Hi Thanks a lot! Is it safe for a girl to take the bus alone in santa clara???

Old 11-18-2015, 01:28 PM

44 posts, read 58,284 times
Santa Clara is very safe.
It's a city of 120K ppl and it just had it's first murder in 4 years. It wasn't even a random murder: it was at a house party, so probably an argument among ppl who knew each other. That's to give you perspective.
So I'd venture to say that any time of day or night, you'll be fine riding the bus alone.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:22 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,543,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froyo0073 View Post
I am a 20 year-old single female. Will be in CA for a training programming for around two months. The site is in Santa Clara and unfortunately i do not and cannot drive so i want to live close to the site (like around 30 minutes drive). I assume I will usually come home around 6.30pm?

I have been living in the east coast for as long as i remember and am not familiar with the situation in CA. I am short and I am not good at fighting.

Is there anywhere safe in Santa Clara where I can stay for two months? Anywhere i can rent or airbnb? I am extremely concerned about my personal safety now. Thanks a lot!!
Santa Clara is very safe and you'll have no problems on the bus at 6:30 pm. The only part of the city that feels even slightly sketchy for Santa Clara to me is a short section of Monroe St between Cabrillo Ave and Scott, due to the abundance of low income apartments in this area. There was an armed robbery at the 7-11 in this area that resulted in a police shooting of the suspect a couple months ago. That happened at 2:00 in the morning.

Since we have no idea where your training program is it's hard to recommend specific areas. You said you want to be within a 30 minute drive but since you're not driving I assume you mean 30 minute bus ride or walk. You'd have to figure out which bus lines serve your site, or you could post the location of the training and we could give you more info.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:26 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,543,837 times
Quote:
Hi Thanks a lot! Is it safe for a girl to take the bus alone in santa clara???
Yes during the daytime and commute hours I see tons of solo women on the bus, and I have never experienced a weird/sketchy situation on the bus during these hours. There are a high number of homeless folks who ride the 22, so if simply seeing a homeless person is objectionable to you you'll want to avoid that route, but I've never seen them behaving strangely or bothering people on the bus, at least not before 10:00pm.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:05 PM

134 posts, read 253,537 times
Quote:
I am short and I am not good at fighting.
lol. There are a lot of short people in Santa Clara who are not good at fighting

If you want serious answers, you should provide the training location (nearest intersection) and your budget.

6:30pm in Santa Clara is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose