U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,595 times

Advertisements

The citizens of West San Jose Are about to be crushed by San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo and his lobbyist buddy Erik Schoennauer.

There is a battle over the future of West San Jose and the people that have lived here for generations will be the losers, Mayor Sam Liccardo has been in league with lobbyist Erik Schoennauer for years and now they have set their sights on Winchester Blvd., it was reported recently by the San Jose Mercury that they have been having secret conversations every Saturday:San Jose mayor hides calls with his 'kitchen cabinet' - San Jose Mercury News.

The vision of Sam and Erik is one of high density six story buildings lining Winchester and towering over single family homes, they don't care if the quality of life is extinguished for the families that live here, they care more about the money going into Erik Schoennauer's pockets, and maybe a few others.

The new development will be many times the size of the current Reserve Apartments at the corner of Winchester and Williams in West San Jose, the buildings will dwarf the single family homes on Opal Dr. It will add gridlock to the local streets and block the local residents from parking in front of their homes for blocks around the development.

The residents understand the need for more housing, they are only asking that it be done responsibly and to scale with the surrounding neighborhoods, four stories along Winchester and two stories along Opal Dr. would integrate better with the surrounding neighborhood.

Please raise your voice and tell the Mayor and San Jose city council what you think of bully's pushing this development into West San Jose, their emails are listed below.

Link to San Jose Planning, scroll down to read about the Reserve Apartments: San Jose, CA - Official Website - Active EIRs

mayoremail@sanjoseca.gov, District1@sanjoseca.gov, District2@sanjoseca.gov, District3@sanjoseca.gov,District4@sanjoseca.gov, District5@sanjoseca.gov, pierluigi.oliverio@sanjoseca.gov, District7@sanjoseca.gov,rose.herrera@sanjoseca.gov, District9@sanjoseca.gov, District10@sanjoseca.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 03:12 PM

901 posts, read 789,405 times
I think that if they build those 6 story buildings in that city, all kinds of HORRIBLE things will happen. 4 stories and 6 stories, I mean, that changes everything. May as well be 50 stories.

You know what's gonna happen? The city's tax base will get bigger, the city will therefore have more revenues to provide better services to you and others, the area will begin to look better, and your own real estate values will get larger. Yeah, that's right, you'll get richer. But you don't want that. It's a curse. These are all bad, bad, bad things. It's much better that SJ stays exactly as it is, with not enough housing and not enough jobs. Please, somebody, pull up the drawbridge on that perfect city so I can never move there.

I fear for your future. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:24 PM

115 posts, read 259,088 times
We need more high-density housing, so I say: Go for it!

Old 01-14-2016, 03:58 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,295,009 times
As long as the new residents won't use any water, go ahead and build...

Old 01-14-2016, 05:13 PM

375 posts, read 315,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
I think that if they build those 6 story buildings in that city, all kinds of HORRIBLE things will happen. 4 stories and 6 stories, I mean, that changes everything. May as well be 50 stories.

You know what's gonna happen? The city's tax base will get bigger, the city will therefore have more revenues to provide better services to you and others, the area will begin to look better, and your own real estate values will get larger. Yeah, that's right, you'll get richer. But you don't want that. It's a curse. These are all bad, bad, bad things. It's much better that SJ stays exactly as it is, with not enough housing and not enough jobs. Please, somebody, pull up the drawbridge on that perfect city so I can never move there.

I fear for your future. Good luck.
LMAO! Thanks

Old 01-15-2016, 11:54 AM

2,141 posts, read 4,504,933 times
This reminds me of what happened to my grandparents' house in Las Vegas years ago. While they were still alive, they bought a house at the base of a mountain. There was no development behind their tract. It was just desert. The elevation of their house at the base of the mountain gave them amazing views of the entire valley and the strip in the distance.

Not long after they moved into the house, they did what many of their neighbors did and built an elevated balcony in their backyard that they could go up to and take in the great views. A few years ago I was in Las Vegas and drove through their old neighborhood to check things out. The huge desert parcel behind their house had been developed with 2-story homes that completely blocked out any of the views that used to be there.

Unfortunately, it just is what it is. Development happens. It's ridiculous for people think that when they move somewhere, everybody else just has to keep things the way they are forever and development around it can't be done. When you buy a house, you don't buy the land surrounding the property.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:23 PM

12,825 posts, read 19,270,873 times
Even in true suburbia, along El Camino, light rail lines, CalTrain, BART, etc, we need the density.

Bay Area people are such wusses about this.

Go drive through places like West LA to see what I mean. Heck, it's not even limited to 6 stories!

Old 01-15-2016, 02:10 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,226,608 times
Hahaha, entitled suburbanites being forced to recognize that they live in a world with other people....

Old 01-15-2016, 11:53 PM

798 posts, read 1,385,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
As long as the new residents won't use any water, go ahead and build...
Or schools, hospitals, create crime, drive on the streets. I just don't understand why SJ doesn't require developers to pay to help accommodate the people who are lining their pockets, BEFORE the developments go in.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:07 PM

4,034 posts, read 5,551,753 times
Mountain View has at least one high rise residential building and I think there were complaints about that. But that is exactly what the Bay Area needs more of. We can't continue to build just one and two story residential and commercial buildings. There is too much demand for housing and not enough room for business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or