Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 03:49 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Last year the cap was met in 5 days. Expect the same this year.
Yep. Same thing again. Cap already just met for 2017: https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-rele...-2017-h-1b-cap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 04:38 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,283,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
dogcat - many of these are dual income so not geniuses, just above average. H1B's can transfer employees as long as they stay in the domain so they don't have to stay in the same company?
the spouses of H1B Visa holder can not work

Old 04-07-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Only the crap employers commit H1B abuse. The good companies don't do it, because they know it's wrong, and their best people would leave in protest.
my neighbor was once an H1B Visa holder. after he got his greencard, probably close to 10 years waiting, he dumped his employer who sponsored him. most probably the reason was pay

Old 04-07-2016, 05:12 PM

816 posts, read 967,552 times
Spouses of H1Bs who have valid I-140 ( a step in the Green card process) CAN get EAD. Thats a fraction of all H1B spouses. This was a BIG deal. Likely thanks to Obama.

Also yes, when you change employers , you have restart the process., it can take 8-12 years to get GC depending on a bunch of factors. But you may get to keep your place in line if certain conditions are met.

I can't job hop as much as I would like. So I am tied to my employer for now.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:49 AM

677 posts, read 835,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
my neighbor was once an H1B Visa holder. after he got his greencard, probably close to 10 years waiting, he dumped his employer who sponsored him. most probably the reason was pay
And you wonder why any employer would want to sponsor a H1B employee for a green card?

Old 04-08-2016, 06:28 AM

The reasons are obvious.
1. I would prefer to work for an employer who sponsors me
2. That guy didn't dump the employer. He Stayed with them for 10 years!!! Thats a massive incentive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
And you wonder why any employer would want to sponsor a H1B employee for a green card?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
considering that he was the only bread winner, lives in an upscale apartment at that time and was provided free car, I think its not bad. he doesn't have student loans to pay so he was not that far behind to those American natives. In fact, he bought a house once he was let go of his sponsoring company

Old 04-08-2016, 03:39 PM

677 posts, read 835,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramax666 View Post
The reasons are obvious.
1. I would prefer to work for an employer who sponsors me
2. That guy didn't dump the employer. He Stayed with them for 10 years!!! Thats a massive incentive.
But as soon as he got his green card, he dumped his employer. Sounds to me he was just using his employer to sponsor him to get his green card. Where was his appreciation and loyalty to his employer for spending the money and effort to get him his green card?

Oh, and he only stayed 10 years because if he left he would have to start the entire green card process all over again! So it was NOT loyalty to his employer but looking out for his own benefit!

Besides, earning a good salary in the U.S. for 10 years is certainly better than what he would have had if he stayed in his home country. So where's the appreciation for his employer for hiring and sponsoring him? It's not like staying in his home country and not going through this process was a better option for him. If I were an employer who hired H1Bs, I certainly wouldn't sponsor them for a green card since it seems they'll end up leaving anyway so what's in it for the employer?

Old 04-08-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
But as soon as he got his green card, he dumped his employer. Sounds to me he was just using his employer to sponsor him to get his green card. Where was his appreciation and loyalty to his employer for spending the money and effort to get him his green card?

Oh, and he only stayed 10 years because if he left he would have to start the entire green card process all over again! So it was NOT loyalty to his employer but looking out for his own benefit!

Besides, earning a good salary in the U.S. for 10 years is certainly better than what he would have had if he stayed in his home country. So where's the appreciation for his employer for hiring and sponsoring him? It's not like staying in his home country and not going through this process was a better option for him. If I were an employer who hired H1Bs, I certainly wouldn't sponsor them for a green card since it seems they'll end up leaving anyway so what's in it for the employer?
wow..as if companies are loyal to their employees. the way to have significant raise is to look for another employer

the employee will look to maximize his pay and the employer will try to minimize his cost..thats just the way it is.thats why they sponsored H1B visas

Old 04-08-2016, 05:40 PM

"If I were an employer who hired H1Bs, I certainly wouldn't sponsor them for a green card since it seems they'll end up leaving anyway so what's in it for the employer?"

Then the best H1Bs would not give you the time of day. I would not bother to interview with you. The way I look at it is , the employers compete for an employee. At least when the field is in high demand.

Loyalty? I think you need to revisit your understanding of an employment contract. Clearly , the employer could not keep this employee happy and lost him to someone who values him more.

Is the H1B program beneficial for an immigrant like me. Hell yeah! Changed my life. Am I going to owe a shred of loyalty beyond my contractual obligation to my employer? Well, that will depend on the relationship me and my manager have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose