Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 06:06 PM

677 posts, read 835,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
wow..as if companies are loyal to their employees. the way to have significant raise is to look for another employer

the employee will look to maximize his pay and the employer will try to minimize his cost..thats just the way it is.thats why they sponsored H1B visas
Well, obviously they are or else they wouldn't have bothered to pay the expenses and put in the effort to sponsor their employee for a green card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramax666 View Post
"If I were an employer who hired H1Bs, I certainly wouldn't sponsor them for a green card since it seems they'll end up leaving anyway so what's in it for the employer?"

Then the best H1Bs would not give you the time of day. I would not bother to interview with you. The way I look at it is , the employers compete for an employee. At least when the field is in high demand.

Loyalty? I think you need to revisit your understanding of an employment contract. Clearly , the employer could not keep this employee happy and lost him to someone who values him more.

Is the H1B program beneficial for an immigrant like me. Hell yeah! Changed my life. Am I going to owe a shred of loyalty beyond my contractual obligation to my employer? Well, that will depend on the relationship me and my manager have.
But you have to get a H1B visa before you can even start to apply for a green card, right? So what does one have to do with the other? You have to be here for a while working under the H1B visa before you are even considered for a green card, right? And it's not like you can go anywhere else because your H1B visa is tied to the employer who sponsored you for it, right? So why would your employer fear losing you if they didn't sponsor you for a green card? It's not like you can pick up and leave for another employer anyway.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:39 PM

816 posts, read 968,016 times
You are incorrect on several if not all ur assumptions.
I graduated from a us school.
I had four offers and I negotiated all of them such that the promise to apply for green card was made within 6 months of joining. I told each one that failing that there were three other employers.

If there was no green card , i would jump to another employer asap, so not sponsoring me meant losing me.

My first employer sponsored my green card within six months, but i left anyway because i was underpaid.

My next round of negotiation was the same , three offers all promised a green card,
Second enployer filed within six months.

So you can pick up and leave. I concede , however, There are some consequences of doing this too often .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
But you have to get a H1B visa before you can even start to apply for a green card, right? So what does one have to do with the other? You have to be here for a while working under the H1B visa before you are even considered for a green card, right? And it's not like you can go anywhere else because your H1B visa is tied to the employer who sponsored you for it, right? So why would your employer fear losing you if they didn't sponsor you for a green card? It's not like you can pick up and leave for another employer anyway.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
You are incorrect on several if not all ur assumptions.
I graduated from a us school.
I had four offers and I negotiated all of them such that the promise to apply for green card was made within 6 months of joining. I told each one that failing that there were three other employers.

If there was no green card , i would jump to another employer asap, so not sponsoring me meant losing me.

My first employer sponsored my green card within six months, but i left anyway because i was underpaid.

My next round of negotiation was the same , three offers all promised a green card,
Second enployer filed within six months.

So you can pick up and leave. I concede , however, There are some consequences of doing this too often .
So you were not hired and brought to the U.S. under a H1B visa? Well, that's a different case. Because my understanding is that you cannot leave the employer that brought you over on a H1B visa because you would immediately lose your H1B visa, and thus, have to leave the country.

That's why I said if I was an employer who sponsored you for a H1B visa, I wouldn't then also sponsor you for a green card because you're likely to leave for another employer afterwards anyway.

BTW, what's to prevent an employer from saying that they would sponsor you for a green card before hiring you under a H1B visa and then not following through after you start working for that employer? Like I said, under the H1B visa, you can't quit without leaving the country anyway.

Also, I don't think startups have the resources nor interest in sponsoring anyone for either a H1B visa nor a green card.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:39 PM

You are right in that startups are less likely to hire H1Bs.

But, you are bound to your employer only in a limited sense. On an H1b, I can seek out another employer, who files for a "Transfer of H1B", this is a routine process and completely legal. Once the H1B is transferred, You can leave your employer for the new one.

If , however,, you are laid off on an H1B, you have very little time to find a new sponsor, otherwise you leave the country.

Nothing prevents them. Its just their word. When they break it, IF they do, you know you have a bad employer. And you should leave. FAST!

Old 04-08-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
You are right in that startups are less likely to hire H1Bs.

But, you are bound to your employer only in a limited sense. On an H1b, I can seek out another employer, who files for a "Transfer of H1B", this is a routine process and completely legal. Once the H1B is transferred, You can leave your employer for the new one.

If , however,, you are laid off on an H1B, you have very little time to find a new sponsor, otherwise you leave the country.

Nothing prevents them. Its just their word. When they break it, IF they do, you know you have a bad employer. And you should leave. FAST!
OK, I didn't realize that H1B visas are transferable between different employers. I assumed that if you leave the employer who sponsored your H1B visa, then either that visa becomes null and void or that employer can use that same visa to hire a replacement. So for you to work for another company, that new employer would have to start the process all over again and apply for a new H1B visa for you, which of course can take over a year as they'll likely have to wait until next year's allotment, so in the meantime you no longer have a valid visa and must leave the country.

Anyway, you're saying this is not the case and you can just transfer an existing H1B visa to another employer? Does the visa still have the original expiration date? If so, and say you only have a year or less left on your visa, what's the incentive for a new employer to hire you?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:40 PM

H1Bs are renewed typically in 2 - 3 year periods. Since H1Bs are limited to 65K or so a year. the transfer prevents the destruction of a unit from the quota.

SO here is the trick. If you run out of your 6 year limit. Two possibilities exist:
1. You must spend at least 1 year outside the US, before your 6 year clock will start again. This is inconvenient for someone with either a family or a mortgage in the US.

2. Your employer has already filed for a GC, AND if you have reached a specific step in that very long process. THEN, you can continue with the employer, and the H1B visa will renew INDEFINITELY.

It is in the second case, that a person has limited mobility.

Basically, as long as the US govt sees that you are now a valid candidate for a Permanent Residency, they will allow you to stay TILL you get the GC.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
H1Bs are renewed typically in 2 - 3 year periods. Since H1Bs are limited to 65K or so a year. the transfer prevents the destruction of a unit from the quota.

SO here is the trick. If you run out of your 6 year limit. Two possibilities exist:
1. You must spend at least 1 year outside the US, before your 6 year clock will start again. This is inconvenient for someone with either a family or a mortgage in the US.

2. Your employer has already filed for a GC, AND if you have reached a specific step in that very long process. THEN, you can continue with the employer, and the H1B visa will renew INDEFINITELY.

It is in the second case, that a person has limited mobility.

Basically, as long as the US govt sees that you are now a valid candidate for a Permanent Residency, they will allow you to stay TILL you get the GC.
OK, so then if your 6 years on the H1B visa is about to expire soon, there is no incentive for another employer to want apply for a transfer of your visa to them since you cannot stay much longer and work for them anyway, right?

BTW, so a "transferred" H1B visa stays within the original quota and doesn't "create" an additional H1B visa, correct?

Old 04-09-2016, 01:32 AM

yes to both.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:14 AM

926 posts, read 978,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqcd View Post
Just because I like to stir the pot...

WSJ Paywall: Tech Industry Rushes to Grab New H1-B Worker Visas - WSJ
whether those candidates will support h1b visas or not is really important here. they dont even have clue on how software industry works so it is just like yay or nay political circus game as ever.

THere is one thing about h1b workers mostly india and china, they do a crap job, the quality of the works done by specially overseas contract normally does not even meet the lowest standard. It is one thing that being educated and holding tech degree but doing a quality work is a very different mentality.

Therefore, for average U.S. worker to be ahead of game is not to opposes or accept the h1b, but individually be a sharp, concentrating on communication and quality level that overseas workers seldom possess. It is known fact in tech industry that quality of work from overseas tends to be a much poorer quantity and that is one of the big reason that tech companies just not dare to ship every job to overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose