Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 12:48 AM

7 posts, read 7,639 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are relocating to San Jose in June and are hoping to get some advice. The husband will be working close to the airport. We will be bringing 2 small dogs and a 1 yr old baby with us.

What areas would you suggest us renting a place in? We are Chinese so preferrably be close to some sort of Asian grocery stores and restaurants. We are looking for around $2500-$2700 a month.

We will only have 1 car, so the place either needs to be close to his work or wont be too long of a commute if he was to take public transportation or be close to malls/stores where I can easily walk to within 15-20mins.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 12:59 PM

176 posts, read 255,573 times
We'll need a more detailed location for the job. "close to the airport" is a very large area. The are lots of Asian stores, given the very large asian community here.

Finding a rental with dogs is nearly impossible.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:22 PM

He will be working on Technology Drive.

Is it hard to find rental with dogs? I saw alot of dog friendly apartments online.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:20 PM

73 posts, read 86,903 times
First, your husband's work location on Technology Drive is a big plus as it is further south than the other major employers in Palo Alto, Mountain View, Cupertino.

Second, there are mainly 2 large Asian supermarket chains with locations scattered throughout the Bay area: Lion Supermarket and 99 Ranch market. The closest market to your husband's work place is the 99 Ranch on Hostestter Rd & Lundy, ~3 miles or 10 mins drive away. This market is in an Asian plaza with numerous restaurants, so it will serve your needs well. There are also plenty of eating place for fast food & non Asian restaurants along the way to his office (Murphy ave & Oakland road for example)

Third, for apartments you might want to check out Amberwood apartments near Lundy. I have driven by here often. I think it's close by the 99 Ranch market and it looks nice at least from the outside, but I don't know about their pets policy. You might also want to check out apartments along Capitol avenue between Hostestter and Trade Zone boulevard. They are all modern looking, not outrageously expensive. This North Valley area of San Jose is quiet, fairly safe, and has easy access to highway.

Good luck and welcome to the bay area.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:11 PM

I saw some new apartments around Milpitas as well but I did read somewhere about smell in the area? Can you tell me more about it? The rent there seems good but not sure if the smell will be a problem for the baby and the dogs.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:52 PM

73 posts, read 86,903 times
oh yes, the infamous overblown bad smell problem surrounding Milpitas on this forum...

The bad smell is generated from a garbage dump area and is mostly pronounced along 880 highway/ highway 237 area. It usually happens in the summer for a few days out of the year, depending on wind condition. In general the further east you are from 880 highway, the less likely you will experience the foul odor. Milpitas area east of 680 highway on the hills are nice and refreshing.

Milpitas city is a thriving home for many and the prices are still affordable in the $800K range for "ordinary people", not Palo Alto, Los Gatos aspiring kind. It's a good accessible base if you work in Pleasanton, Fremont, North San Jose, Santa Clara. You might want to check it out too.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:27 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiworker View Post

Milpitas city is a thriving home for many and the prices are still affordable in the $800K range for "ordinary people", not Palo Alto, Los Gatos aspiring kind. o.
800k to live in milpitas? Lol...thats terrible.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:00 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliu612 View Post
Hi!

We are relocating to San Jose in June and are hoping to get some advice. The husband will be working close to the airport. We will be bringing 2 small dogs and a 1 yr old baby with us.

What areas would you suggest us renting a place in? We are Chinese so preferrably be close to some sort of Asian grocery stores and restaurants. We are looking for around $2500-$2700 a month.

We will only have 1 car, so the place either needs to be close to his work or wont be too long of a commute if he was to take public transportation or be close to malls/stores where I can easily walk to within 15-20mins.

Thanks in advance!
I put some links so you can see what to expect.

I would honestly say to look near Civic Center, Japantown, or the airport area itself, at rush hour it takes 2-3 times longer to go the same distance these days, so I think it would be prudent to look for shorter commute, and preferably let you have the car during the day. Japantown is certainly walkable, the but the Asian shops are more Japanese oriented in their inventory though. It is a short drive from there to either Milpitas or Cupertino where there are lot of Chinese focused shops. From Civic center light rail is pretty quick to the airport area, though the city could do a lot to improve walkability in the airport area. From Japantown it is a 10 minute walk to light rail, or more if you live further east.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/5552218919.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/5548352778.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/5553257450.html

Further north is North Park, that should be about 15 minutes on light rail to the airport area, rents are a bit higher, and though there are shops, the city hasn't improved walkability much after the apartments were put in so it is no easy to walk outside your own particular area, you'd likely be looking at a 1bd there.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/5554682751.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/5550810016.html

Cupertino is probably too expensive for your budget, and the commute is not really that much easier as both 880 and 87 has a lot of northbound traffic in the morning, and Cupertino is a public transportation desert.

This would be tough without buying another car:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/5552994530.html
Cupertino Village across the street has several businesses focused on Chinese food/restaurants, and items.

Milpitas is more affordable, but if he were to take the light rail it will probably be close to 1/2 hour commute on light rail alone. Driving is probably faster, but still will be with a bunch of commute traffic heading west.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/5517470385.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/5554638839.html

Old 04-24-2016, 05:16 PM

44 posts, read 58,618 times
Willow Lake Apartments on Oakland Rd crossing Murphy are nice. My friend lived there happily for many years. Comfortable walk to the Ranch 99 plaza at Lundy (there's even some Shun Fat supermarket at your doorstep which I've never been in but could be good in a pinch). Across the street from a gym and several other eateries and stores. They're also building a park just down Oakland Rd past the new Orchard Park townhomes being sold.

No public transit to the Airport from there though. So he could take the car and drive to work and you could walk to lunch and grocery shopping. On days you need the car to go to Target, you can drive him to work in the morning possibly. It's probably a 15 min drive with traffic.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:19 AM

Thank you so much everyone!! Really appreciate all the info!

I saw some apartments on craigslist around downtown area. Is it safe there? Or should we stay in the north?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose