Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 06:37 PM

677 posts, read 835,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_alex_2007 View Post
Chuck5000 you're right, most of them have outside laundry machines, hahaha. Total surprise, I thought inside the unit machines are standard in the famous Silicon Valley.
You'd be surprised at the outdated and primitive living conditions of most of the housing in what is supposed to be the "tech capital of the world". Many places couldn't even get broadband until recently due to the old copper wiring. Although its companies produce high-tech products, there's really nothing "high tech" about Silicon Valley itself.

For example, much of the single family housing stock is more than 50 years old or older and most only have 1 bathroom, and many of the apartments are also old and have no in-unit laundry. In fact, most people from other parts of the country are shocked by the old, shoddy, wood shacks that cost 4 times more on 1/8th of the land than where they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 06:50 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
You'd be surprised at the outdated and primitive living conditions of most of the housing in what is supposed to be the "tech capital of the world". Many places couldn't even get broadband until recently due to the old copper wiring. Although its companies produce high-tech products, there's really nothing "high tech" about Silicon Valley itself.

For example, much of the single family housing stock is more than 50 years old or older and most only have 1 bathroom, and many of the apartments are also old and have no in-unit laundry. In fact, most people from other parts of the country are shocked by the old, shoddy, wood shacks that cost 4 times more on 1/8th of the land than where they came from.
5 or 6x more you mean

Old 04-27-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
5 or 6x more you mean
Depends on where you're coming from. Prices vary.

Also, in many parts of the country, an acre of land is typical for a single family home. In SV, 5,000 sq. ft. is considered a decent sized lot.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:24 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,669 times
Quote:

Seriously! Our first rental, just over 5 years ago, was down the street from Apple HQ - NO broadband internet. I was so shocked. In the podunk SoCal city we came from we'd had it for over a decade. So we had to get cable internet. Also the data and cell single was horrific not just in our house but all over Cupertino (and still was last I checked...No Verizon, I cannot "hear you now" in the tech capital). Not to mention a variety of other terrible house problems with the $$$ dump we were renting that I didn't even think of looking into (ancient ineffective high-cost furnace, ancient leaky windows, etc...newbie mistake).

Old 04-28-2016, 04:13 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
Seriously! Our first rental, just over 5 years ago, was down the street from Apple HQ - NO broadband internet. I was so shocked. In the podunk SoCal city we came from we'd had it for over a decade. So we had to get cable internet. Also the data and cell single was horrific not just in our house but all over Cupertino (and still was last I checked...No Verizon, I cannot "hear you now" in the tech capital). Not to mention a variety of other terrible house problems with the $$$ dump we were renting that I didn't even think of looking into (ancient ineffective high-cost furnace, ancient leaky windows, etc...newbie mistake).
You can always leave the Bay Area if it makes you unhappy, bring about 5 million people with you

Old 04-28-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
There are lots of parts of the Bay Area that have spotty cell phone coverage. Yes, this where the iPhone and so many mobile apps are created.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:56 PM

402 posts, read 538,584 times
Quote:
There are lots of parts of the Bay Area that have spotty cell phone coverage. Yes, this where the iPhone and so many mobile apps are created.
Do you actually know the reason of it? It is because rich people lobby not to have huge antennas, retransmitters, etc near their houses. It is not good for health they say.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:34 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
You can always leave the Bay Area if it makes you unhappy, bring about 5 million people with you
Oh please, just reinforcing what a previous poster said. It was shocking to move here and discover it was so behind and yet ahead at the same time.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
Do you actually know the reason of it? It is because rich people lobby not to have huge antennas, retransmitters, etc near their houses. It is not good for health they say.
I'm not sure. All I know is that I can barely get a cell signal (most of the time none at all) where I live and I'm in a densely populated area in a central residential neighborhood, not out in the boonies.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:45 AM

402 posts, read 538,584 times
Quote:
I'm not sure. All I know is that I can barely get a cell signal (most of the time none at all) where I live and I'm in a densely populated area in a central residential neighborhood, not out in the boonies.
Yep it's pretty much because of zoning restrictions ("rich lobby")... Some people afraid that building new towers can negatively influence their health (radiation and other staff) and also reduce value of their homes, and break down the view of the neighbourhood. It is very difficult to get a permission from local authorities (especially in several towns) to improve the current situation with poor signal and increase bandwidth capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose