Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 04:42 PM

402 posts, read 538,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
  • North San Jose
  • South San Jose
  • West San Jose
  • Milpitas
  • Santa Clara
  • Cupertino
  • Mountain View
  • Los Gatos
  • Saratoga
Lol you made my day . 3-10 hours in traffic driving from SJ to MV... It can be a reality some day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:01 PM

176 posts, read 255,615 times
10 hr drive is virtually the entire west coast, all of Nevada, parts of AZ, ID, UT. I'd suggest getting a guidebook. Your scope is way too broad to answer effectively.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:51 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
I'm with simboticus above.

10 hours of driving from the Bay Area is so vast of an area that I could think of 100 things one could do (dead serious there).

I think a better idea is to nail down a direction you want to go and/or the type of scenery you want to see, and go from there.

For instance, if you want a desert trip, plan to head east of the Sierra in to Nevada, or to inland southern CA (Mojave, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Owens Valley and the eastern Sierra front). You could even make it to parts of Arizona, Utah, and the desert regions of Oregon.

If you want to experience dense and lush forests, or if you want to see the tallest trees in the world, head north to Humboldt, and/or the northern CA and Oregon coasts.

You get the idea...

More focus on direction, scenery, and desired activities will make recommendations easier and more effective. Otherwise this is way too broad to really offer any good suggestions. Basically all you're going to get are people's opinions on their favorite places... Which may or may not align with what you want to see or do.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:33 AM

240 posts, read 478,258 times
Lassen Volcanic Park

Old 05-10-2016, 05:04 PM

926 posts, read 979,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
  • North San Jose
  • South San Jose
  • West San Jose
  • Milpitas
  • Santa Clara
  • Cupertino
  • Mountain View
  • Los Gatos
  • Saratoga
Oakland and Alviso plants are also good place to visit too.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:45 AM

103 posts, read 112,348 times
L.A. Vegas

Old 05-18-2016, 03:27 AM

278 posts, read 335,963 times
Welcome to San Jose. There are lots of places you can head to from the bay area including the Grand Canyon. If you're going to be driving to Grand Canyon on an upcoming weekend, try to go soon because it's going to heat up quickly as summer is right around the corner. Another place to check out is White Sands National Monument in New Mexico. From San Jose, head south to LA then head east. The drive across I-10 is quick and easy because it's mainly flat.

I liked Lassen Volcanic National Park a lot. I hiked up the Cinder Cone and also checked out Bumpass Hell. It was an amazing site. To get there from San Jose, take 680 North, then 80 East, then 5 North. You can also drive out to Utah to visit the 5 national parks there. The drive is very easy during the summer, as I-80 east will take you there going through Sacramento.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:40 AM

I will try to post pics soon. One thing that I like most about San Jose is that you can drive to a lot of cool places. You can drive out to see the mountains, ocean, forest, volcano, and desert.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:05 AM

Some other spots:

Pinnacles National Park
Mission Peak
Tijuana
Lake Tahoe
Hearst Castle
Bodega Bay
Disneyland
Lava Beds National Monument
Great America
SF
Portland
California State Railroad Museum
Half Moon Bay
17 Mile Drive
Universal Studios
Bodie ghost town
Crater Lake National Park
Napa
Point Lobos State Natural Reserve
Big Sur
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Joshua Tree National Park

San Jose puts you in the middle of everything.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:27 AM

423 posts, read 610,028 times
Yup, 10 hours drive basically cover ~5 states. With that said, here are some of my top places to visit in these WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ.

Yosemite National Park
Carmel/Big Sur
Alcatraz with view of SF skyline and bay
Crissy Field beach with view of Golden Gate bridge and bay.
Point Reyes
Death Valley
Lassen Volcanic
Las Vegas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose