Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Urban couple considering moving from Manhattan to San Jose, enjoy city life, dislike suburbia, seeking information on cost of living in San Jose compared to New York/Manhattan

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 04:20 AM

3 posts, read 13,950 times

Advertisements

One of the greatest aspects of moving to Silicon Valley is the fact that it's an area that has been and will continue to reinvent itself regularly, and San Jose happens to be at the epicenter of this change. In 20 years New York will still be New York, but San Jose will be a dramatically different place. There is a unique culture over here that is different than anywhere else in the world and most foreigners can't really understand. "San Jose has no life, no soul, no culture, etc." People that say this have no idea what Silicon Valley is about, go home we no longer want your kind here. The culture here revolves around innovation, change, entrepreneurship, making things better.

If you look at how San Jose has changed each decade since the 50s and what accomplishments have been borne from this region, it is pretty amazing. We're talking the entire Computer industry, the Internet, and the Modern Entrepreneurial culture itself (25% of all venture capital in the United States is invested in Silicon Valley). San Jose contains the larges IT cluster in the world by a mile (over 3 times larger than the second largest cluster), and Silicon Valley in general is far and away the most significant area in the world in IT.

Just now are the non-business related aspects of San Jose's culture starting to develop and grow. Downtown San Jose will likely be expanding by 25% in the next decade, adding over 5000 high-end housing units, new restaurants (it already has over 150 within a few square miles), greatly expanded entertainment options, museums, etc.

Santana Row is one of the most successful mixed use projects in the Bay Area, and if you're coming from New York I would seriously consider looking into getting a place their first. You have immediate access (as in walking downstairs) to 20+ excellent and eclectic restaurants, shops, nightlife, movies and places where you can just chill (like the wine bar in the middle of Santana park). People have even started driving down from SF to come to Santana Row. Across the street from Santana Row you have what will be the largest Mall in Northern California (is now the second largest). I would also say Downtown San Jose would be a killer place to check out around 2010 or so. It has been developing much faster than most people have expected.

Some other huge plusses about San Jose:
*** Amazing weather... 300+ days of flawless sunshine a year that we take for granted.
*** Location... 45min drive away from the ocean and lay back beach cities, 45min away from SF, 4 hours away from Tahoe/skiing, 1.5 hours away from wine country, within 30minutes of just about every major IT company you can think of
*** Low crime, lowest level of violent crime (murder, rape) out of all US cities with more than a 250k population
*** Progressive city management interested in continuing to rapidly develop the area
*** All future development will be high density, maybe not NY density.. but enough for a vibrant atmosphere

Residential Areas I would recommend checking out if you plan to move here from a city like NY or Chicago:
- Santana Row (San Jose)
- Willow Glen (San Jose)
- Rivermark (Santa Clara)
- Downtown San Jose
- Walnut Creek (East Bay)
- Downtown Palo Alto
- Downtown Campbell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 02:42 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,452,880 times
You will fall in love with CA. It will be different, but well worth it. I moved there in '78 from Long Island with the thought that I'd live there for a few years. Unfortunately, because of a job lay-off in 2001, I was forced to move away. I now live in the tri-state area of PA/NY/NJ. My son and I really miss the bay area. I say go for it and good luck to you. You are young and without children. CA, especially the northern half has so much to see and do. Oh, how I miss living amongst the redwood trees in the Santa Cruz mountains. The sweet smell of redwood needles and oak leaves drying in the sun.

Elaine

Old 05-02-2007, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,038 times
NY2Cali,

you should try Hillsborough. Very affordable!

Old 06-30-2007, 12:37 AM

8 posts, read 24,763 times
I live in a sh*t hole 750K house and make 130K+ and that's why I am about to leave. I'd stay in Manhatten. Yes we have lots of good shopping and the best restuarants but I can't afford it! I sweat bullets sometimes just shopping at OLD NAVY! You might be very disappointed here. Good Luck!

Old 06-30-2007, 04:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,288,527 times
People who complain about culture and such here are the big city douchebags that like to be hit over the head with the kitsch of some indie coffee shop. Nobody likes to find their own place anymore. They want to hit up the hole-in-the-wall that just got a nice blurb in the Times. Leave the work and the thought to other people, right?

The point is that, even beyond San Jose, any place will have things to do and culture to experience. That comes with having tons of together people in one area. If you want your NYC life out here, move to San Francisco. They have the same restaurants as any city, but they have them on cute little street corners with homeless people sleeping next to them while huddled under three sleeping bags because it's 50 degrees in July. I guess that's the strict definition of "urban" these days.

I don't suggest you move here because it definitely won't be your thing. Try us again in ten years. By then, at the pace we're going, you shouldn't have as much to complain about, what with our rapid downtown development (finally). In any case, here's an idea of what we have now: Soft Underbelly of San Jose

Old 07-11-2007, 05:30 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,256,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2Cali View Post
My wife and I are both in are midish 30's with no kids as of yet, and looking for a change in life, weather, jobs, etc. We currently live about 5 long blocks away from the Empire State building in midtown Manhattan and are a very urban couple who enjoy the city life, especially the plethora of restaurants and awesome (often inexpensive) food, and diversity of different neighborhoods and activities that NYC and the surrounding area has to offer. We live pretty small here (a 1bdrm apt) and pay $1,500 for rent - again, a bargin for NYC - but we are due for a change before we grow old. The thing is we really don't like suburbia much. Too be honest neither one of us are too fond of SF but are considering San Jose, I'm thinking SJ might seem like a large NJ town to me compared to Manhattan and that might 'suk'?

Since we rent here it's not like we have any equity to bring to the Bay area so it's likely we'll have to rent but can do it 'small' for a while. Hey, we are used to the small NYC living I was shocked as the absolute sh*thole homes you get for 750k out there, but I suppose NYC condos are no better - but at least here you get to live in the greatest city on earth. I figure conservatively in the bay area that we'll have a household income of at least 130k, me sales and her graphic design.

Because I work in sales and will more than likely need to travel all over the Bay area - Is the traffic really that bad?? ( how about compared to the NYC metro area? Because it's BAAAADDD here, sometimes taking 1 hour just to cross the 0.7 miles accross Manhattan to leave and go to NJ! -and don't forget the 6 dollar toll to get back in and $325 monthly parking fees!).

Would really love to hear from anyone that has experience living in Manhattan/NYC for a comparison and people who HAVE NOT lived in the Bay Area their whole lives since I really don't care what San Jose 'used to be' and 'how much it's gone downhill' I only care about 'what it is' now and what areas might be experiencing gentrification, positive growth, and renaissance. We don't mind gritty with character, and prefer that over cookie cutter homes and strip malls but need something 'liveable' and 'affordable'. Do you think a fairly urban and not easily entertained NYC couple like us would like the San Jose - South Bay Area?

Opionions and suggestions are welcome!

THANKS!

OK....just an honest question.........why do New Yorkers "have" to point out how much inferior another place is when asking a simple question?.......It kinda sounds like An elephant talking to a Dolphin....both very different.....The elepant is Loud and alot Bigger with great quality of Ivory on his tusks, but the Dolphin is quite and very intellegent and has a small cute look that is attractive.......the Dolphin doesn't need to feel like he has anything to prove so he stays quite and it keeps him from being found by a predator but the BIG elephant has to tell the Dolphin why he is so much better because he lives on land with his loud elephant sounds.......which animal do you like better?

I am from Miami and if i were going to ask about San Jose to people from San Jose or those that just live there here is how i would do it.....

Hey my name is ? from Miami and i am looking to move to San Jose. Can anyone tell me about the crime in the area, and about the diversity and mix of people, and about which neighborhoods are more suburban or which are more urbanized.....thank you

Well if i wanted to sound like a "TYPICAL" New Yorker (not all are the same but a majority try to prove things) i would ask like this while being from Miami....

Hey my name is ? and i am coming from the area of the country with the "Most beuatifull beaches and landscapping youve ever seen"....and i am planning a move to San Jose but dont really want to move to an area that i cant walk on totally flat ground and i know there could be crime there but hey, "i am from MIAMI" and i think i can handle anything that comes my way out there because ive been around the city that imports "so" many drugs and crime is everywhere.......Well can anyone tell me what areas might suit "me"....and which ones are more urbanized like "The best urban area in the country "MIAMI"" and which ones are more you know unurbanized like most of your Bay area?....thank you so much for your help....hopefully a change will help me see why i love living in Miami so much and give me a reason to move back someday.......thanx again

Well this is how i hear things from "most" not all but most that are from NYC that talk about other places ....it gets funny

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 07-11-2007 at 05:57 AM..

Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
People who complain about culture and such here are the big city douchebags that like to be hit over the head with the kitsch of some indie coffee shop. Nobody likes to find their own place anymore. They want to hit up the hole-in-the-wall that just got a nice blurb in the Times. Leave the work and the thought to other people, right?

The point is that, even beyond San Jose, any place will have things to do and culture to experience. That comes with having tons of together people in one area. If you want your NYC life out here, move to San Francisco. They have the same restaurants as any city, but they have them on cute little street corners with homeless people sleeping next to them while huddled under three sleeping bags because it's 50 degrees in July. I guess that's the strict definition of "urban" these days.

I don't suggest you move here because it definitely won't be your thing. Try us again in ten years. By then, at the pace we're going, you shouldn't have as much to complain about, what with our rapid downtown development (finally). In any case, here's an idea of what we have now: Soft Underbelly of San Jose

Well said...now see i didnt even read this response until after i posted mine...i guess that New Yorkers think it is being "Real" to explain things in thier own way to people, but it is being "REAL RUDE".....in the opinion of people that live in a thousand other places on earth for someone to go to thier home pages and have to be told how "inferior" and "very different" area is why do you people from NYC have to be that way?....

if you love NYC so much i would suggest staying because there isnt that many buildings in other american cities and from what you say the food will make us all stop eating food from Taco Bell or Jack n the Box or Subway because we will never have an advantage of being able to eat anything from anyplace that compares to the "Deli's" or Hot Dog Stands where there are "trustworthy" looking people serving you....LOL... I dont know that guy and how well he cleans his stuff and what his food is involved with when he gets away from his job

or even the Pizza shops that serve the only "real".....cheese and sauce and crust that can be found in the world......hell i could use the same ingredients and have the same guy that was in NYC cook the pizza for me out here where i live but in New YOrkers eyes it would taste like garbage right?....lol......believe what you like......

i think Florida and California and Tennessee and Chicago have better pizza depending on how my stomach feels....maybe i eat a slice in NY but my stomach isnt right....then i move to Florida and have a slice there and my stomach is fine and i think its the best ever and there is nothing anyone can tell me to change that.....

I guess they cook better barbque in NYC than in Texas too....and have better sunshine than Cali.....and larger Alligators than Florida.....lol........apples and oranges....if you love it dont leave it....youll be miserable because nothing will ever compare in "your" mind

I heard a person from Ohio on here asking about if he should move out to Cali but he didnt say "anything" was better about Ohio....because he already knows about Ohio himself and didnt feel the need to tell people how much better his Cleveland Indians are than the SF Giants......i wonder why he or i dont feel the need to tell someone my state is "the best" when asking simple questions?......

Old 07-23-2007, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 29,954 times
...DONT MOVE !! I just moved in to this area ( currently living near mountain view downtown) less than 3 weeks ago from NY/NJ area... honeslty, it's quite a difference...i havn't found it so lovely... San Francisco is joke compared to manhattan...palo alto thru mountian view, sunnyvale, santa clara up to san jose also not interesting...(long island 495 seems to me more interesting ha ha ..)... ppl drive so st*p*d they won't survive a week back in tristate area either getting in an accident or more likely getting their license supsended......

THE ONLY good thing so far:: fruits and vegetables much much more fresh and edible, food is in generel cheaper here ,,, the weahter is nice ... and the beach (seacliff example) is near and i'd say nicer than jones beach....

Old 07-23-2007, 08:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,288,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zink View Post
...DONT MOVE !! I just moved in to this area ( currently living near mountain view downtown) less than 3 weeks ago from NY/NJ area... honeslty, it's quite a difference...i havn't found it so lovely... San Francisco is joke compared to manhattan...palo alto thru mountian view, sunnyvale, santa clara up to san jose also not interesting...(long island 495 seems to me more interesting ha ha ..)... ppl drive so st*p*d they won't survive a week back in tristate area either getting in an accident or more likely getting their license supsended......

THE ONLY good thing so far:: fruits and vegetables much much more fresh and edible, food is in generel cheaper here ,,, the weahter is nice ... and the beach (seacliff example) is near and i'd say nicer than jones beach....
You probably should have done more research before moving. If the whole world was like NYC, no place would be worth anything. You can have your city back and we'll keep ours. The pluses you listed are why people enjoy living here as opposed to there. People shouldn't expect the world to travel with them wherever they go.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
You probably should have done more research before moving. If the whole world was like NYC, no place would be worth anything. You can have your city back and we'll keep ours. The pluses you listed are why people enjoy living here as opposed to there. People shouldn't expect the world to travel with them wherever they go.

I agree....keep your complaints on your own home page....in the NYC forums.....they dont need all that trashing on here....you can state complaints but dont say how much better something else is than where these people live.....if you wanna point out somethings you dislike and not say it was this or that way back where "you" were from then thats fine......this is not a comparison....if you make it that way you are obviously just homesick and want attention and want people to see what you love so much...but guess what alot of people dont like that lifestyle and they love another place....... but if you wanna tell the world why you are better or "your" city is the best then save it for your own page.....because we have enough movies to see how NYC is and enough friends that have visited there to tell us and enough transplants that live in other places that are from NYC that we get to here it from in real life....we dont need all this bashing....how about i move to the NYC page and do what you do to other places on this forum and see how mad your local people get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose