Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Urban couple considering moving from Manhattan to San Jose, enjoy city life, dislike suburbia, seeking information on cost of living in San Jose compared to New York/Manhattan

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 03:59 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,732 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think you are crazy! If you don't like SF, I don't see the point of moving to the Bay Area, as SF is unavoidable in terms of being the place you'll likely end up going for most of your urban entertainment. The Ho (San Jose) has little to offer. It is the Smog Angeles of the North, and who cares if it's the 10th largest city? It's probably less known than Oakland, Berkeley, or any other number of non-SF Bay Area cities.

If you want to move here, I would say, move on the Peninsula (Burlingame, Palo Alto, San Mateo) - a lot nicer than The Ho and you'll at least be about midway between SF and The Ho.

Maybe you should check out San Diego or Seattle. Great west coast cities.

To the person that says SF pales in comparision to Manhattan. I disagree, which is why I moved here instead of New York. IMO NYC pales in comparision to cities like SF and Seattle, that combine urbanism with beauty - something NYC is severely lacking IMO....although if I ever leave SF, NYC will be were I go, because it sure is one heck of a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 04:02 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I agree....keep your complaints on your own home page....in the NYC forums.....they dont need all that trashing on here....you can state complaints but dont say how much better something else is than where these people live.....if you wanna point out somethings you dislike and not say it was this or that way back where "you" were from then thats fine......this is not a comparison....if you make it that way you are obviously just homesick and want attention and want people to see what you love so much...but guess what alot of people dont like that lifestyle and they love another place....... but if you wanna tell the world why you are better or "your" city is the best then save it for your own page.....because we have enough movies to see how NYC is and enough friends that have visited there to tell us and enough transplants that live in other places that are from NYC that we get to here it from in real life....we dont need all this bashing....how about i move to the NYC page and do what you do to other places on this forum and see how mad your local people get?
Although I disagree with Zink's post, I feel his/her comments and opinions are very appropriate and valid considering he/she just moved to the Bay Area from NY/NJ, which is exactly what the original poster is considering.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Personally, I think you are crazy! If you don't like SF, I don't see the point of moving to the Bay Area, as SF is unavoidable in terms of being the place you'll likely end up going for most of your urban entertainment. The Ho (San Jose) has little to offer. It is the Smog Angeles of the North, and who cares if it's the 10th largest city? It's probably less known than Oakland, Berkeley, or any other number of non-SF Bay Area cities.

If you want to move here, I would say, move on the Peninsula (Burlingame, Palo Alto, San Mateo) - a lot nicer than The Ho and you'll at least be about midway between SF and The Ho.

Maybe you should check out San Diego or Seattle. Great west coast cities.

To the person that says SF pales in comparision to Manhattan. I disagree, which is why I moved here instead of New York. IMO NYC pales in comparision to cities like SF and Seattle, that combine urbanism with beauty - something NYC is severely lacking IMO....although if I ever leave SF, NYC will be were I go, because it sure is one heck of a city.
Wow, and we supposedly have the inferiority complex? How many childish rants is this one the same topic in one day?

Old 09-17-2007, 08:20 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
san joses nickname is "the world's largest suburb". that should give you a hint that it is nothing like NYC

Old 09-17-2007, 09:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
san joses nickname is "the world's largest suburb". that should give you a hint that it is nothing like NYC
Do you realize how many cities would bear that "title" if they were in the same CSA as San Francisco? Hell, they bag on LA for the same thing but not Oakland right next door. Guess which one is more dense and lively?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:45 AM

72 posts, read 104,190 times
Default This is almost a year old!

I was going to join the others in steering them away from SJ (would be culture shock), but then saw that the people have not posted in a very long time. Hope they chose L.A.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:16 AM

61 posts, read 273,314 times
Dont do it! I have loved in Sydney most my life and went to San Jose it is in NO WAY a metro city. You will miss all the walking around and character that NYC has. PLease visit and stay first before you make a huge mistake!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:21 AM

61 posts, read 273,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
please believe her!!!!! please dont go!!! i am seriously worried for you if you decide to move to san jose and miss out on the city you live in now. Put it this way, my hubby was moved to houston tx... did i hate houston tx !?... over san jose ....NO! ...i didnt !!!!...but over living in sydney wirth all the walking around public transport tourist spots city character..ugh i dream of the day i return....san jose is nice but u dont want to move there over nyc...and i hate to say this if u want to start a family and decide on the suburb life i would choose where i am at right now. san jose is ok ...peopel who love it there as in LOVE IT i noticed are not very well travelled to begin with. They probably have just gone to SF over the weekend or something.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:32 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingaroundok View Post
please believe her!!!!! please dont go!!! i am seriously worried for you if you decide to move to san jose and miss out on the city you live in now. Put it this way, my hubby was moved to houston tx... did i hate houston tx !?... over san jose ....NO! ...i didnt !!!!...but over living in sydney wirth all the walking around public transport tourist spots city character..ugh i dream of the day i return....san jose is nice but u dont want to move there over nyc...and i hate to say this if u want to start a family and decide on the suburb life i would choose where i am at right now. san jose is ok ...peopel who love it there as in LOVE IT i noticed are not very well travelled to begin with. They probably have just gone to SF over the weekend or something.
btw im a guy. but thats ok. no hard feelings.

san jose is like a smaller version of san diego which is a smaller version of LA, except SJ doen't have a beach. NYers are always bashing LA and criticizing us on how much sprawl we have. well, you coming NY will think the same thing about SJ.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Now I'm starting to sound like the Department of Tourism, but hopefully it's helped! I am a reference librarian, so this kind of "work" is actually fun for me - LOL.[/quote]

I'm a clerk in a library and also enjoy doing these forums for the same reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose