U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:24 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
3,692 posts, read 2,309,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
HockeyMac already pointed out that the media and other tech companies have expanded the definition of Silicon Valley to be other locations around the Bay Area over the past few years. Facebook, Twitter, Oracle, Yelp, Pixar, Salesforce, Electronic Arts, etc are NOT located in Santa Clara County-
Most of those are not Valley companies, no. Facebook is; they oroginally imcorporated in Palo Alto and moved to Menlo Park later.

Quote:
It's funny how you claim SJ isn't the same apple orchard town from the 1950s anymore
Oakland isnt the same either. It used to be smaller than San Francisco, and San Francisco used to be the main deep water port of the region. Now Oakland is one of the busiest deep water ports in the world, and it has a larger population than San Francisco. Things change.

But Silicon Valley is both a specific region and a specific culture, and San Francisco and the Peninsula are seperate.

Quote:
yet you refuse to acknowledge the perception of SV has, indeed, changed over the past few years.
San Francisco is trying to steal our glory, yes. But it is pathetic and not working. Lol.

Quote:
The thing is that many people don't think of Silicon Valley as a place where people live- they see it as a place to work or do research.
The people you're talking about live outside of Silicon Valley.

Quote:
Yeah those tech companies are located in specific towns like Mountain View, or PA, or Sunnyvale, but people don't go out for drinks in "North Silicon Valley", they would simply just state the name of the town they are headed to.
That's different. If a British citizen is travelling to San Jose for a conference he doesn't say "I'm going to San Francisco", rather, he would say "I'm going to Silicon Valley" or "I'm flying in to San Francisco Airport for a conference in Silicon Valley." You don't say "Im flying to Trafalgar Square". You say "Im flying to London."

Silicon Valley is the region where we live. San Jose and Palo Alto are specific cities in that region. Although "San Jose" is also synonymous with "Slicon Valley" in certain contexts, such as "San Jose is a Great City."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 09:59 AM

4,693 posts, read 5,423,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Most of those are not Valley companies, no. Facebook is; they oroginally imcorporated in Palo Alto and moved to Menlo Park later.
Maybe not according to YOUR personal definition, but they are certainly considered part of SV when I read about them in newspaper articles. Perhaps you should write in to correct all these publications since you obviously know more than they do and they're just spreading misinformation. Oracle not being part of SV? OK...

Quote:
Oakland isnt the same either. It used to be smaller than San Francisco, and San Francisco used to be the main deep water port of the region. Now Oakland is one of the busiest deep water ports in the world,and it has a larger population than San Francisco. Things change.
Oakland most certainly does NOT have a larger population than SF.

Quote:
But Silicon Valley is both a specific region and a specific culture, and San Francisco and the Peninsula are separate.
It's not a 'real' place- at least in the sense that it's not an actual city or a town. SV is just a nickname for the area where semiconductor manufacturing blew up and the name has stuck around to describe what is now a general region for tech companies and research. And you keep saying Palo Alto isn't part of the peninsula. Look at a freaking map!

Quote:
San Francisco is trying to steal our glory, yes. But it is pathetic and not working. Lol.
SF has been the most cosmopolitan city on the West Coast for over a century and it's been able to hold its own for quite some time without the help of San Jose. It has plenty of its own glory and is the preferred place to live and work over SJ for many people.

Quote:
Like someone else mentioned, if somebody told me they lived in SV instead of San Jose or the South Bay (or whatever specific place or town it was), I would roll my eyes at them.

Quote:
That's different. If a British citizen is travelling to San Jose for a conference he doesn't say "I'm going to San Francisco", rather, he would say "I'm going to Silicon Valley" or "I'm flying in to San Francisco Airport for a conference in Silicon Valley." You don't say "Im flying to Trafalgar Square". You say "Im flying to London."
If the person was actually staying in a real place like Trafalgar Square, they certainly might mention where they were SPECIFICALLY staying in London...

Quote:
Silicon Valley is the region where we live. San Jose and Palo Alto are specific cities in that region. Although "San Jose" is also synonymous with "Slicon Valley" in certain contexts, such as "San Jose is a Great City."
Again these are all definitions made up by YOU. Why don't you spend more time correcting the media for not using the terms you made up? It's probably more productive than all of your posts on this board...

Old 08-17-2016, 03:13 PM

318 posts, read 228,078 times
San Jose is a capital of Silicon Valley. It is well developed city with nice infrastructure, public services, cultural spots, etc. It is an extremely important city for the American and world economy, science and technology, especially IT.

However, in my opinion, San Jose is not a "world class" city, mainly because of small size and not so long history.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:42 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,557,097 times
According to OP, 'size' is not one of the criteria to be a 'world class city'. In that case, I nominate Bruges.

On a more serious note, Berlin (I visited for the first time last year) is an amazing city.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:08 PM

318 posts, read 228,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
According to OP, 'size' is not one of the criteria to be a 'world class city'. In that case, I nominate Bruges.

On a more serious note, Berlin (I visited for the first time last year) is an amazing city.
What I noticed from friends who live abroad, it that they do not know about San Jose at all. They've never heard about it before. For them, San Jose is something similar to Santa Monica near LA. They think San Francisco is a heart of Silicon Valley, or that Silicon Valley is techy neighbourhood of San Francisco (which is not true of course). And everyone has heard about Berlin, Tokyo, Rome, London, New York, Istanbul... That says something in terms of what "world class city" means... It is also about mass popularity.

Even myself haven't heard about SJ before I moved to CA!

Our city needs better promotion. Lets do it

Old 08-17-2016, 07:58 PM

2,333 posts, read 705,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
What I noticed from friends who live abroad, it that they do not know about San Jose at all. They've never heard about it before. For them, San Jose is something similar to Santa Monica near LA. They think San Francisco is a heart of Silicon Valley, or that Silicon Valley is techy neighbourhood of San Francisco (which is not true of course). And everyone has heard about Berlin, Tokyo, Rome, London, New York, Istanbul... That says something in terms of what "world class city" means... It is also about mass popularity.

Even myself haven't heard about SJ before I moved to CA!

Our city needs better promotion. Lets do it
This has been my experience too.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:21 PM

6,624 posts, read 3,054,478 times
Quote:

Oakland isnt the same either. It used to be smaller than San Francisco, and San Francisco used to be the main deep water port of the region. Now Oakland is one of the busiest deep water ports in the world, and it has a larger population than San Francisco. Things change.

But Silicon Valley is both a specific region and a specific culture, and San Francisco and the Peninsula are seperate.

My god man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley

Quote:
Silicon Valley is a nickname for the southern portion of the San Francisco Bay Area, which is located in the part of the U.S. state of California known as Northern California. It is home to many of the world's largest high-tech corporations and thousands of startup companies. Geographically, it encompasses all of the Santa Clara Valley, the southern half of the San Francisco Peninsula, and southern portions of the East Bay. It includes parts or most of Santa Clara County, San Mateo County, and Alameda County.
Quote:
The following Santa Clara County cities are actually located in the Santa Clara Valley and based on that status are traditionally considered to be in Silicon Valley (in alphabetical order):

Campbell
Cupertino
Los Altos
Los Altos Hills
Los Gatos
Milpitas
Monte Sereno
Morgan Hill
Mountain View
Palo Alto
San Jose
Santa Clara
Saratoga
Sunnyvale

In 2015, MIT researchers developed a novel method for measuring which towns are home to startups with higher growth potential. This defines Silicon Valley to center on the municipalities of Menlo Park, Mountain View, Palo Alto, and Sunnyvale.[81][82]

The following Bay Area cities are (or were) home to various high-tech companies (or related firms like venture capital firms) and have thereby become associated with Silicon Valley:

Belmont (San Mateo County)
Burlingame (San Mateo County)
East Palo Alto (San Mateo County)
Emeryville (Alameda County)
Foster City (San Mateo County)
Fremont (Alameda County)
Menlo Park (San Mateo County)
Millbrae (San Mateo County)
Newark (Alameda County)
Oakland (Alameda County)
Redwood City (San Mateo County)
San Bruno (San Mateo County)
San Carlos (San Mateo County)
San Francisco (San Francisco County)
San Mateo (San Mateo County)
San Ramon (Contra Costa County)
Santa Cruz (Santa Cruz County)
Scotts Valley (Santa Cruz County)
South San Francisco (San Mateo County)
Union City (Alameda County)
So, as I said before, historically, SV was a term that was used to describe a general area of the South Bay/Santa Clara Valley where semiconductors were made. But it has since become a more general description of the tech-centered areas of the SF Bay Area. It's still mostly centered in the South Bay, but has certainly moved up the peninsula more and more over history.

Either way, you're being a bit ridiculous if you don't consider San Mateo county part of Silicon Valley. Do you think Sequoia is a Silicon Valley VC firm? If so, you have to include, at least, Menlo Park. Oh wait, because it's in a different county (merely feet from PA) it's some far off land that's disconnected from its neighbors...

Also, Palo Alto is on the peninsula. I'm not sure why you keep denying this. You must not look at maps very often.

Here, I'll help you out here: Palo Alto on Google Maps.

The peninsula goes until about Mountain View (it's a fuzzy line as it's not fully inclusive of all of MV - but the peninsula definitely starts/ends near there). Anything north can easily be considered the "peninsula"...because, you know, those places are actually on the SF peninsula.

Again:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Peninsula
Quote:
The San Francisco Peninsula is a peninsula in the San Francisco Bay Area that separates San Francisco Bay from the Pacific Ocean. On its northern tip is the City and County of San Francisco. Its southern base is in northern Santa Clara County, including the cities of Palo Alto, Mountain View and Los Altos. Most of the Peninsula is occupied by San Mateo County, between San Francisco and Santa Clara counties, and including the cities and towns of Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, Burlingame, Colma, Daly City, East Palo Alto, El Granada, Foster City, Hillsborough, Half Moon Bay, La Honda, Menlo Park, Millbrae, Pacifica, Portola Valley, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Mateo, South San Francisco, and Woodside.
Typing "Palo Alto peninsula" into Google yields the following:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palo_Alto,_California
Quote:
Palo Alto is in the south-eastern section of the San Francisco Peninsula. It is bordered to the north by East Palo Alto, to the east by Mountain View, to the southeast and south by Los Altos and Los Altos Hills, to the southwest by Portola Valley, and to the west by Stanford and Menlo Park.
Peninsula Optical Co - Yelp
Parents Place - Peninsula
Peninsula - Mercury News
Peninsula Creamery
http://wikitravel.org/en/Peninsula_(Bay_Area) - this one Lists both PA and MV, too

I see plenty of hits to something you claim is clear...One would think if it was this clear that I'd find nothing. But, there it is.

A city can be described by more than one geographic location.

Also a giant LOL at "SF stealing our glory". Ok...one minute you're on the "SF BAY AREA IS THE BEST!" kick, and the next you're out splice out SF for "taking" your industry and claiming they're two cities hours apart. Tech is not leaving the South Bay anytime soon...so you can breath easy. But the Bay Area is very connected these days, and SF is a huge epicenter of tech. Whether you like it or not. sorry.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 08-17-2016 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-17-2016, 10:32 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
3,692 posts, read 2,309,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Also, Palo Alto is on the peninsula.
Palo Alto is in Silicon Valley. San Mateo is not. Palo Alto is also the home of Stanford University, HP and PARC, three institutions that contributed greatly to the rise of Silicon Valley. "Palo Alto is part of the peninsula, not Silicon Valley" is something that snobs say as evidence that Silicon Valley has no culture. But like I said, Stanford is one of the great cultural institutions of Silicon Valley, and one of the places where its heart lies, the other being San Jose. Stanford, along with SJSU and SCU, produced many engineers and leaders in the Valley, including Hewlett and Packard.

San Mateo is a city (and a county) north of Silicon Valley that contains a tech company or two. The same is true of San Francisco.

There are tech startup companies all over the world. There are tech startups in London. Is London therefore part of Silicon Valley?? NO.

London, like San Francisco, is a Great City that is not part of Silicon Valley, despite the presence of tech startups there.

Quote:
Ok...one minute you're on the "SF BAY AREA IS THE BEST!" kick,
It is. And Silicon Valley is part of the Bay Area. Silicon Valley is located along the southern shore of the San Francisco Bay, hence it is part of the Bay Area. One of the features that attracts companies to San Francisco is proximity to Silicon Valley. One of the many things that makes Silicon Valley successful is proximity to the tourist attractions in San Francisco and the deep water port in Oakland.

But neither San Francisco nor Oakland are in Silicon Valley. That's like saying Brooklyn is part of Wall Street.

I don't know why some of you guys are trying to sell the idea that the peninsula is part of Silicon Valley to people who grew up here. San Francisco and the Peninsula have a different culture than we do down here. We're closely related, and in many respects the Bay Area is one united region, but just as Oakland is a separate area, and the North Bay, with its world renowned viticulture industry, is another, Silicon Valley is also a separate region within the Bay Area. The whole Bay Area is not Silicon Valley, just as the whole of London is not Trafalgar Square, and the entire city and county of Los Angeles is not part of Hollywood.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:28 PM

4,693 posts, read 5,423,874 times
You lost all credibility when you claimed Oakland had a higher population than SF. Doubling down on PA not being part of the Peninsula is just making you look even worse at this point. You're seriously trying to tell someone who worked in/and commuted to/from Palo Alto that the maps they read are somehow wrong?

Old 08-18-2016, 01:17 PM

6,624 posts, read 3,054,478 times
Quote:
Palo Alto is in Silicon Valley. San Mateo is not. Palo Alto is also the home of Stanford University, HP and PARC, three institutions that contributed greatly to the rise of Silicon Valley. "Palo Alto is part of the peninsula, not Silicon Valley" is something that snobs say as evidence that Silicon Valley has no culture.
What are you talking about? I never said PA isn't in Silicon Valley. But it is on the peninsula. And it is in SV. It's possible for it to be in both.

Snobs? Huh? You're losing me here.

By the way, I don't think I need geography advice from someone that considers anything not on the coast "Fly over country". Talk about one of the most snobbish things a person could think/say .

Quote:
But like I said, Stanford is one of the great cultural institutions of Silicon Valley, and one of the places where its heart lies, the other being San Jose. Stanford, along with SJSU and SCU, produced many engineers and leaders in the Valley, including Hewlett and Packard.
I have no idea why you're telling me this. I know all of this. And I'm not arguing that these things didn't happen...

Quote:
San Mateo is a city (and a county) north of Silicon Valley that contains a tech company or two. The same is true of San Francisco.
A "tech company or two"...OK...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silico...y_21st_century
Companies - SiliconValley.com

I see a lot of notable SV companies north of the Santa Clara county line. But what do these people know? It's obviously a scam by SF and San Mateo county to "steal" SJ's glory!

Please answer this simple question:
Do you consider Sequoia Capital* part of Silicon Valley?

* located in Menlo Park (San Mateo County)

If you do, you've very quickly demonstrated how flawed your definition is.
If you don't, well...I can't think of anyone that would agree with you.

Quote:
There are tech startup companies all over the world. There are tech startups in London. Is London therefore part of Silicon Valley?? NO.
You say this as if there isn't an easily-explainable reason why tech is blowing up in SF (hint, hint, hint, Silicon Valley's location in the SF Bay Area).

Quote:
It is. And Silicon Valley is part of the Bay Area. Silicon Valley is located along the southern shore of the San Francisco Bay, hence it is part of the Bay Area.
Why do you keep telling me this? I can look at a map...I understand.

Quote:
One of the features that attracts companies to San Francisco is proximity to Silicon Valley. One of the many things that makes Silicon Valley successful is proximity to the tourist attractions in San Francisco and the deep water port in Oakland.
Wait, but I thought it's like London...just another city with tech companies? Now you're telling me that proximity to SV is important...

Quote:
But neither San Francisco nor Oakland are in Silicon Valley.
Perhaps not historically, and not in the traditional sense of where "Silicon Valley" started (i.e. from the Santa Clara Valley). But the term "SV" has evolved over time, and it has been moving north for decades.

Perhaps SF isn't in "Silicon Valley" (I don't really think it is), but it's very much associated with it (way more than London...or really any city).

One can easily see how SF has come to be associated with this term: Language is dynamic, and as people and media have started to use Silicon Valley" interchangeably with the general concept of "SF Bay Area tech", other cities, such as SF, have become strongly associated with the term.

This language evolution over time has made the term less specific geographically, though. Since it has now come to describe a much more general area, it has been diluted from its original specificity in describing the Santa Clara Valley. Which is why I never use it that way, and I never hear it used that way in daily life. People just specifically will say what city they're going to or what area (South Bay, Peninsula, North Bay, SF, SJ, etc.).

I'm sorry if this offends you. Perhaps you should start a website detailing how misused the word is.

That said, people do mostly still think of the greater South Bay as the epicenter of SV, so you can sleep easy at night.

Quote:
That's like saying Brooklyn is part of Wall Street.
Your argument would make sense if there was actually a huge banking/investment/financial sector in Brooklyn. Not a good analogy.

Quote:
I don't know why some of you guys are trying to sell the idea that the peninsula is part of Silicon Valley to people who grew up here.
Because parts of "Silicon Valley", such as Palo Alto, are actually on the peninsula. I just asked 5 people who grew up here in the Bay Area, and they all agreed that PA is on the peninsula. And it's also in Silicon Valley.

Neutrino: This is the last post I'll make on these topics since it is not what this thread is about. We have gone around in circles here...and I don't mean to be offensive, but I feel like I'm talking to a wall. Or more accurately, a robot with pre-configured responses to this topic. You're presented with evidence contrary to your argument, and you just spit back the same pre-canned responses (sometimes verbatim).

I can only write the statement "Palo Alto is on the peninsula and is in Silicon Valley" so many times before I get tired of reading it...

Considering you grew up here, I'd think this is basic local knowledge...apparently it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose