U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 02:47 PM

2,333 posts, read 707,330 times

Advertisements

TL;DR for the OP... 1 person in this thread thinks San Jose is a world class city. The others do not. On the other hand, everyone agrees Silicon Valley (including San Jose, Palo Alto, etc.) is up there as a region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 02:58 PM

4,693 posts, read 5,427,684 times
to be fair, that one person also thinks Oakland has more people than SF, that maps are for snobs, and that surviving on $12 an hour means the Bay Area is affordable for everyone.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:48 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,558,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
to be fair, that one person also thinks Oakland has more people than SF, that maps are for snobs, and that surviving on $12 an hour means the Bay Area is affordable for everyone.
Surviving on $12 while living in mommy's basement, maybe.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:01 PM

176 posts, read 131,870 times
Get a life, this horse has been beat to death many times over.

and BTW "Silicon Valley" is NOT a state of mind as someone stated earlier, it's a geographic region who's boundaries can be debated endlessly by nerds with nothing better to do.

Go back to doing something productive, like playing Magic the gathering, or Googling pictures of girls you have no hope of ever interacting with.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:23 PM

318 posts, read 228,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simboticus View Post
Go back to doing something productive, like playing Magic the gathering, or Googling pictures of girls you have no hope of ever interacting with.
Please stop telling people what they should do if they did not ask you about it

Old 08-18-2016, 10:35 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,680,122 times
Bay Area is a world class metro. But there are no truly world class cities. SF comes close, but falls short. The Bay is too balkanized and lacks a dominant principal city. So you get bits and pieces of world class, all over. And different places that have different world class aspects.

So you may get world class dining in SF. World class wine in Napa. A world clasd economy in the South Bay, etc.

But it all depends on your opinion of World Class. Some people think San Diego or Denver is world class. Others won't set the bar lower than NYC.

Silicon Valley is pretty much Fremont up to about Redwood Shores. SF has tech, but no dominant heavy hitters HQ'd there. I would put the epicenter from Palo Alto to Cupertino. Though as the county seat San Jose is probably what you would call the capitol FWIW

Old 08-18-2016, 10:52 PM

4,693 posts, read 5,427,684 times
yeah, SF has no heavy hitters. Twitter and Salesforce are such a joke.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:13 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,680,122 times
If you think Twitter and Salesforce are heavy hitters, you need your head checked. Google, Apple, and FB are heavy hitters.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:17 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
3,692 posts, read 2,311,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
TL;DR for the OP... 1 person in this thread thinks San Jose is a world class city. The others do not. On the other hand, everyone agrees Silicon Valley (including San Jose, Palo Alto, etc.) is up there as a region.
If you were from here, you would know that the phrase "San Jose is a world class city" implies that the surrounding suburbs in Santa Clara County are being included, as Cupertino, for example, is for all practical purposes a suburb of San Jose. That is not the case de juris, but it is most definitely the case de facto.

No kid grows up in Silicon Valley and says "man, Cupertino sucks. I have to go all the way to Santa Clara to go to Great America". That's a silly statement, because all these suburbs are very close together. You can be in San Jose on one side of the street, and be in Santa Clara when you cross to the other side of the street. The only people who make such statements are people who are from another place in the state or the country and came here for a job, and intend to return when they have saved up some money to buy a SFH in their home town. To those of us who grew up here, Cupertino and San Jose are analogous to Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Having said that, by itself, the City of San Jose has museums, an opera, a ballet company, live theater, a community college, lots of great parks, a state university, a public transit system and an international airport.

So yes, San Jose is a world class city.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:30 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
3,692 posts, read 2,311,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
How can it be the case that you can't afford it if I can? Explain how that makes sense. You make more money than me, do you not? Are you spending more than 33% of your income on housing? If so, that's your mistake, not mine, my friend. My name and my signature are on a lease here in Silicon Valley, and I pay $500 per month for rent, which is approximately 33% of my income.

And yes, only snobs think that Palo Alto is somehow not in Silicon Valley. Palo Alto is actually in Santa Clara County, and Stanford, Xerox PARC and HP were all started there. A claim that it is not part of Silicon Valley is just a pathetic attempt to prove that Silicon Valley doesn't have any culture or great cultural institutions, which is an idiotic position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose