Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 04:31 PM

10 posts, read 18,168 times

Advertisements

Has anyone successfully tried a job “working from home”? Either it being a full time or just to supplement your income? And I’m definitely not talking about all these direct sale or cold calls companies. There are plenty of those. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 AM

240 posts, read 478,137 times
Yes, three working-from-home positions in the past 14 years, with company-paid monthly or bimonthly plane commutes. The setup makes sense when the company is based in South CA or if you are a co-founder.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Yep. But it isn't the norm as a lot of these Silly-con Valley companies are too stupid and lack leadership though, so they won't allow it. They'd prefer to have angry stressed-out employees spending 4 hours a day in the car, working as little as possible, being as unproductive as possible, and leaving the second they get an opportunity with a more rational employer.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:11 PM

402 posts, read 538,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Yep. But it isn't the norm as a lot of these Silly-con Valley companies are too stupid and lack leadership though, so they won't allow it. They'd prefer to have angry stressed-out employees spending 4 hours a day in the car, working as little as possible, being as unproductive as possible, and leaving the second they get an opportunity with a more rational employer.
Who is your employer who allows working from home on regular basis? Or if not yours, maybe you have good examples for software engineering field?

Old 01-09-2018, 12:52 AM

10 posts, read 18,168 times
Quote:
I hear ya!

Old 01-09-2018, 09:33 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
Who is your employer who allows working from home on regular basis? Or if not yours, maybe you have good examples for software engineering field?
I don't really hang with the engineering crowd, so I don't know. I get the feeling they are not too big on WFH. They like to go to the office so they can reheat their fish in the microwave.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I don't really hang with the engineering crowd, so I don't know. I get the feeling they are not too big on WFH. They like to go to the office so they can reheat their fish in the microwave.
I like my office and free food provided (so no need of microwaved fish) but wish to spend less time in traffic. Working for three days in the office and two days from home would be ideal for me.

Anyone knows good examples of such companies?

Old 01-15-2018, 11:19 PM

88 posts, read 89,619 times
I am a software engineer working from home full time. There are a few silicon valley companies that has work from home positions.

cloudera.com (minority of workers work from home)
github.com (majority of github employees work from home)

Amazon has many tech support work from home positions.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lablitz View Post
I am a software engineer working from home full time. There are a few silicon valley companies that has work from home positions.

cloudera.com (minority of workers work from home)
github.com (majority of github employees work from home)

Amazon has many tech support work from home positions.
Appreciate your comment.

Do you know if they usually offer fair local market salary for people who work from home or part time from home live in SF Bay Area? Or it is less?

Old 01-17-2018, 11:58 AM

88 posts, read 89,619 times
I (work from home) received similar pay as someone who works in the office. Every company is different.

Work from home jobs are very competitive and there are not alot of them. There can be over 50 people all over USA applying for that 1 software engineering work from home job.

Open source companies like redhat and firefox has alot of work from home positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose