U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 04:05 PM

2,055 posts, read 3,173,806 times

Advertisements

i have seen a few in san jose but are there any high rise condos (say 20+ floors) in the areas of palo alto, menlo park, mountain view, sunnyvale, santa clara, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 05:42 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,458,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
i have seen a few in san jose but are there any high rise condos (say 20+ floors) in the areas of palo alto, menlo park, mountain view, sunnyvale, santa clara, etc.?
I think Palo Alto has one building that's about 12 stories high. more of a midrise. Outside of Downtown there's really nothing over 20 stories.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:01 PM

3,508 posts, read 4,875,107 times
I remembered a very tall building in Mountain View on El Camino Real. *But* I can't find it on Google maps street view. Rather strange. It's like it never existed. Anyone know the building I might be thinking about? I remember when it was built, people complaining it would block the sunlight.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:14 PM

2,055 posts, read 3,173,806 times
I found 101 alma in palo alto. 101 Alma

It looks ok but the building looks kind of old, etc.

Interestingly enough there are 3 condos for sale including a 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, and 3 bedroom.

As expected, the hoa dues are pretty high but it might be an option. As far as I can tell, it's in a good part of Palo Alto right?

Some quick background for those who don't know me: I live in Seattle with my family (wife + 3 kids) but will be working full time down in Mountain View starting December. The family doesn't want to move until next summer at the earliest. I may just rent a place but I'm interested in exploring buying a place for me to live in (1 or 2 bedroom condo/townhouse/whatever) and if the family decides to all move here next summer, just rent out whatever we buy and rent or buy a house for the family (depending on what we do with the home in Seattle).

If I were to buy a place like 101 alma for $1m (the cheapest one) and put around 20% down, my monthly mortgage would be around $3500 (assuming a 30 year fixed 3.5% loan) and hoa of $700 so $4200/month. Would this place rent for around $4200/mo? If not, what roughly would it rent for? What about the 2 bedroom?

Not moving is not an option (well, it's always an option in that I can quit my job and find another job but I don't want to do that).

Old 10-23-2016, 01:46 PM

181 posts, read 134,118 times
@zitsky. Avalon Towers is probably what you are thinking about.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:33 PM

3,508 posts, read 4,875,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
@zitsky. Avalon Towers is probably what you are thinking about.
Maybe, but that's not very tall, is it? I guess everything looks big next to the one and two story buildings along El Camino Real.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:03 AM

22,021 posts, read 23,796,717 times
Downtown San Jose has several high rise condo buildings.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:49 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,763,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Maybe, but that's not very tall, is it? I guess everything looks big next to the one and two story buildings along El Camino Real.
I'm pretty sure that's what you're thinking, and at 10 stories, I'm sure it has good views near the top as it is much taller than anything in Mountain View.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Short answer, no.

There are no 20+ residential buildings outside downtown here all the way to SF.

Highrise buildings outside downtown, since you explicitly excluded SJ I'll do the same. Similarly I won't mention the peninsula outside PA.

Stanford is not in Palo Alto or Menlo Park, it is it's own area, but it does have several 12 story buildings, which would be your best bet to find a highrise apartment.

Avalon Mountain View is 11 stories tall, rental, built Mountain View Apartments in Santa Clara | Avalon Towers on the Peninsula

Tan Plaza (Arastradero Palo Alto) 9 stories, rental: https://www.prometheusreg.com/san-fr...za-continental

The Marc Palo Alto, 13 stories, rental: 1, 2 & 3 Bedroom Apartments for Rent in Palo Alto, CA

101 Alma 14 stories, condo
https://www.emporis.com/buildings/12...lo-alto-ca-usa

Montebello Condominiums Cupertino 9 stories.
20488 Stevens Creek Blvd Cupertino, CA 95014 Was built originally as apartments, but all the tenants were kicked out during the housing bubble and it was turned into condos.

I excluded senior housing high rises.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:32 AM

Quote:
I found 101 alma in palo alto. 101 Alma

It looks ok but the building looks kind of old, etc.

Interestingly enough there are 3 condos for sale including a 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, and 3 bedroom.

As expected, the hoa dues are pretty high but it might be an option. As far as I can tell, it's in a good part of Palo Alto right?

Some quick background for those who don't know me: I live in Seattle with my family (wife + 3 kids) but will be working full time down in Mountain View starting December. The family doesn't want to move until next summer at the earliest. I may just rent a place but I'm interested in exploring buying a place for me to live in (1 or 2 bedroom condo/townhouse/whatever) and if the family decides to all move here next summer, just rent out whatever we buy and rent or buy a house for the family (depending on what we do with the home in Seattle).

If I were to buy a place like 101 alma for $1m (the cheapest one) and put around 20% down, my monthly mortgage would be around $3500 (assuming a 30 year fixed 3.5% loan) and hoa of $700 so $4200/month. Would this place rent for around $4200/mo? If not, what roughly would it rent for? What about the 2 bedroom?

Not moving is not an option (well, it's always an option in that I can quit my job and find another job but I don't want to do that).
There are a lot of questions.
Why do you think the HOA would go along with this though? Is this really an investor friendly building?
Why are you looking to do this when rents and housing prices look to be peaking in the area?
If you want to know what it would rent for I suggest touring the Merc building and the condos and make mental adjustments, that building 101 Alma is close, but not that close to downtown Palo Alto, that it could be a plus or a minus depending on the demographic group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose