Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 09:01 AM

36 posts, read 73,575 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I currently live in southeast Virginia (Yorktown/Williamsburg area) working for NASA Langley, and am considering an opportunity to transfer to NASA Ames in the Bay Area. I am originally from California, and have been contemplating a return ever since I moved here 9 years ago. The main drive to return is the unparalleled beauty of the area, the outdoor lifestyle, and the nice (humid free) weather. However, as everyone on this site is aware, the cost of living is simply outrageous!

I'd be renting out my 3/2 1600 sqft SFH in VA that borders a park in a good school district, to rent a 700 sqft apartment in MV/Sunnyvale for $2500/mo, which is $1,000 more than my monthly mortgage (which would be covered by my renters). I'd be getting a promotion that amounts to roughly a 25% raise, but the COL will eat that for breakfast.

A few questions for you:

(1) Am I crazy?
(2) How accessible are the local mountains and beaches from MV/Sunnyvale during the week? I have a big dog and would love to get him his daily walks in places other than around the block.
(3) How bad is the traffic on the weekends? I'd like to visit SF, Napa, Santa Cruz, Big Sur, etc. for day trips.
(4) Is there any end in sight for the stupid expensive real estate out there? $1M-1.5M for a 3/2 1500 sqft SFH in MV/Sunnyvale does not seem sustainable to me, even for a dual income tech couple ($200K-250K/year gross).

It would just be me and my dog. No wife or kids yet.

Thank you very much for your input; I look forward to hearing from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 11:00 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
1. Nope, as long as you're aware of and accept the math involved.
2. You're surrounded by mountains on all sides.
3. Not to bad on weekends, except for Santa Cruz on sunny weekend mornings
4. Nope. It might soften a bit, but no-one expects any kind rapid drop in prices.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:20 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
The Bay Area I moved to 25 years ago no longer exists.
The Bay Area you left 9 years ago no longer exists so come for a visit and take a look around.

Read other thread about the condition of the freeways and neighborhoods.

NASA is a really cool place to work so it depends on what is important only to you.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:07 PM

209 posts, read 257,425 times
The East side SJ hills takes awhile to get to during rush hour, though unless you go through the side streets. Alum Rock Park is still there��

Old 11-07-2016, 04:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Spaceman View Post
Hello.

I currently live in southeast Virginia (Yorktown/Williamsburg area) working for NASA Langley, and am considering an opportunity to transfer to NASA Ames in the Bay Area. I am originally from California, and have been contemplating a return ever since I moved here 9 years ago. The main drive to return is the unparalleled beauty of the area, the outdoor lifestyle, and the nice (humid free) weather. However, as everyone on this site is aware, the cost of living is simply outrageous!

I'd be renting out my 3/2 1600 sqft SFH in VA that borders a park in a good school district, to rent a 700 sqft apartment in MV/Sunnyvale for $2500/mo, which is $1,000 more than my monthly mortgage (which would be covered by my renters). I'd be getting a promotion that amounts to roughly a 25% raise, but the COL will eat that for breakfast.

A few questions for you:

(1) Am I crazy?
(2) How accessible are the local mountains and beaches from MV/Sunnyvale during the week? I have a big dog and would love to get him his daily walks in places other than around the block.
(3) How bad is the traffic on the weekends? I'd like to visit SF, Napa, Santa Cruz, Big Sur, etc. for day trips.
(4) Is there any end in sight for the stupid expensive real estate out there? $1M-1.5M for a 3/2 1500 sqft SFH in MV/Sunnyvale does not seem sustainable to me, even for a dual income tech couple ($200K-250K/year gross).

It would just be me and my dog. No wife or kids yet.

Thank you very much for your input; I look forward to hearing from you.
I think you are slightly crazy. Weather and hiking in the mountains are not worth living poor, unless you are truly an ascetic.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
1. Nope, as long as you're aware of and accept the math involved.
2. You're surrounded by mountains on all sides.
3. Not to bad on weekends, except for Santa Cruz on sunny weekend mornings
4. Nope. It might soften a bit, but no-one expects any kind rapid drop in prices.
Thanks for the response!

Yeah, I've run the numbers. It's possible, but painful. It's hard to put a dollar value on access to nature, weather, and lifestyle. One idea is to rent my house in VA, rent a small, overpriced 1 BR apartment close to NASA Ames, and try it out for a couple of years. If after two years on the ground I'm not convinced it's worth it, I can look to transfer back.

So, traffic going SW towards the mountains from Mountain View isn't too bad after work?

When you say soften a bit, does that mean come down some or remain constant? How much did prices come down in 2007/2008 (percentage wise)?

Old 11-08-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I think you are slightly crazy. Weather and hiking in the mountains are not worth living poor, unless you are truly an ascetic.
I figured as much. However, it's tough to put a dollar value on lifestyle. I love hiking, surfing, and being able to be outdoors year round. In VA you can do that, but in the summer you'll be sweating like a pig, and in the winter you'll have to bundle up. Spring and autumn are great, but only last half the year. But there is a limit to how much people are willing to pay for that premium. 100% more? Maybe. 250% more? Now that is painful!

Old 11-09-2016, 07:54 AM

11 posts, read 15,994 times
After work traffic going SW from Mtn View is backed up. You would be better heading north on 280 to the hiking areas along the lower penninsula.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:18 AM

318 posts, read 337,594 times
your salary
raise opportunities
chance of meeting someone & possibly have a dual income one day or are you wanting to be single for life ?
monthly debt

all this can help us maybe give advice on if its a good move, the bayarea is a cool place to live, Nasa is a great place to work, you enjoy being outside soooooo

Old 11-09-2016, 10:30 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokra View Post
After work traffic going SW from Mtn View is backed up. You would be better heading north on 280 to the hiking areas along the lower peninsula.
After-work traffic to anywhere is extreme, and begins by 3:30 p.m. anytime, more intense on Fridays. OP, if you want to walk your dog in Santa Cruz, go on a Saturday. Do you know if NASA would give you some kind of flexible schedule? That can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose