U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:36 PM

13,688 posts, read 16,399,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Yes, They're all opened in the evenings except for Tech. Sometimes even Tech is opened for the evening for different adult events. You can do shops, see an independent movies at Camera 3, listen to music at Cafe Stritch or Ritz and have a glass of wine at many different wine bars. You are completely out of touch with downtown since it has changed so much since 2013! You have no idea how cool downtown these days: Forager, Uproar Beer, Fuz Bar and Grill, Ricky's Sport Bar, Fully filled SoFA market, Avery, Social Policy coffee at First/ Plaza De San Antonio, M Bar and so many others. It's alot more lively with lots more residential units.

Your knowledge of downtown is so outdated.
Well, I'll enjoy coming back and seeing it, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 10:45 PM

1,625 posts, read 1,850,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I've been away since November 2013. But, can you park and walk within a few blocks to see all of the above?

Are the food stalls and tech museum and market centers all open in the evening? So, you can park your car, walk around to find dining that looks like fun, then after eating walk to any of the above for your evening entertainment? Without getting back into your car?

And would you want to?

My idea of a night on the town, in a downtown area, would not be food stalls and a tech museum.

Santana Row has mainly what I look for, but as I say, it's not the downtown. It's a little world within itself, but illustrates what I'm talking about. You can go have an appetizer, browse shops, go see a movie, go have dinner, go listen to music while having a glass of wine - all within that little area. I heard there's even a hooka bar down there now.

Again, I think San Jose is great. Just talking about the downtown.
Snowie, that's the point I'm trying to make. San Jose Downtown is VERY LARGE, and within there are MANY things to do/attend/visit/see.

A proper Downtown isn't going to be a place that you can park and walk to everything within a few block. A proper Downtown is literally a "city within a city", which means there are many many things within it, and not everything is going to be clustered within 2-3 blocks.

Snowie, most museums in any cities don't open past 6pm Practically the only things that are left open after 6pm anywhere are restaurants, bars, dance clubs, theaters (if they have shows then), maybe a few art galleries, and some late-opening retails. So don't worry about Tech Museum for a night out in Downtown, it's not even open LOL (except as Topper says, on certain evenings)

If you walk Mountain View Downtown or Sunnyvale Downtown or Palo Alto Downtown after 6pm, all you get are restaurants, bars, and dance clubs. If you walk Santana Row after 6pm, all you get are restaurants/bars/dance clubs, and a few retail stores that open late.

All Downtowns after 6pm just boil down to pretty much those three things: restaurants, bars, and dance clubs. And Downtown SJ has it in spades.

Now, regarding Santana Row, you just listed what a night out in Santana Row would look like, but you can do the same thing in Downtown, except that it would be over a larger area, which lets you walk more and see architectural things in the area that is even better than what Santana Row has to offer.

For example, you can go have a quick appetizer at SoFA Market, browse the art galleries at Kaleid, swing over to Higher Fire to check out their clay arts, and then walk to Cafe Stritch and listen to the live music that they have while having dinner there. Or you can swing to Forager and check out which amateur music groups are setting up and playing some tunes you've never heard before. And yes, there's even a hookah bar right next to Stritch! And that is just the SoFA district of Downtown. We're not even discussing the other hotspots of Downtown such as 1st/2nd and San Pedro. And if you head to same area of Downtown during the First Friday of the month, you'll get a huge art festival with live music, beer gardens, tons of vendors, tons of art, that lasts all the way until 12.

And for what it's worth, almost every corner of Downtown has a hookah lounge And they all open late. My favorite one is on Fountain Alley and it is open till 3AM.

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; 03-22-2017 at 11:06 PM..

Old 03-22-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Gotta disagree.

A downtown that has an arena, a university, a courthouse - all spread far apart, is not the kind of downtown that is attractive, as far as walkability, like a regular city downtown.

People don't go to a downtown so they can walk to a university, or browse by an arena or a courthouse.
A Downtown with an arena provides entertainment, a university provides education for students, and courthouses for lawyers and folks going about their law businesses. What they do is provide PEOPLE on the streets that are there to work and play and entertain and live.

People don't go to other South Bay cities' Downtowns to go to University, or go to an arena, or to a courthouse, but that's because the other South Bay cities' Downtown are just "main street" area with only boutique restaurants and retails. San Jose Downtown is all of that, PLUS it is also a true LIVING Downtown, with every kind of amenities and activities that don't have anything to do with entertainment. San Jose Downtown is not just a mere entertainment boutique street, it is so much more than that.

Other South Bay downtowns are playthings, San Jose Downtown is a real thing. You can play, work, and live here.

Quote:
And a downtown doesn't have neighborhoods within it. What you're describing is a suburb. Or maybe an entire city, when you talk about multiple neighborhoods within an area. That does not describe a city downtown.
Actually it does. The places I listed are NOT suburb, they are neighborhoods that are within what most of us San Jose people refer to as "Downtown".

Once again, I need to remind you that Downtown San Jose is very large, and because of that it has many different sections, or neighborhoods, within in. It is the only South Bay Downtown that can claim so, because every other South Bay downtowns are very tiny in comparison, and thus cannot contain more than the immediate downtown neighborhood in them.

Quote:
And when you talk about having to drive anywhere from the downtown area, again, that's not what most people think of when they think of a city downtown. What most people think of is a core area where you can park your car and walk arm and arm with your honey, while enjoying checking out the dining options, with outdoor dining, and music venues and theaters and music venues, etc., all within walking distance of your car - with no large warehouse type district in-between attractions, etc.
Oh you can definitely walk San Jose Downtown, but it will take a you a long time. Just like SF Downtown and Oakland Downtown, they also take a very long time to walk. And that's why it's fun to walk them, because the walk isn't a 10 minute jaunt, it's a meandering hour or more!

But the huge size of these three Downtowns also means that they have a lot more restaurants, bars, and entertainment choices for you.

Quote:
There are great little areas you can go to, though, with their own little walkable charm. Like Santana Row, or Willow Glen, or The Alameda area by Race Street, etc. But, downtown San Jose is really the same thing, with San Pedro Square and that's pretty much it as far as walking around at night in the downtown core.
Oh God no no no no no. Santana Row and Willow Glen are lovely places in San Jose, and I love and patronize them all the time. And I always wanted to live on The Alameda, it would be one of the two neighborhoods I would move to if I ever leave my current place. But they have NOTHING on Downtown San Jose. NOTHING. San Pedro Square Market is just one section of Downtown, there are other areas of Downtown out there.

Quote:
I thought of another downtown area that is really great, and that's Sacramento. You can walk for blocks in any direction in downtown Sacramento on a nice summer evening, and go by restaurants and pubs and art galleries and see the riverboats on the river, jazz clubs, historic wooden walkways in the old town, go to a play at the little theaters.
Yes, Sacramento Old Town has a great river. San Jose doesn't have that, but you can still walk for blocks in any direction in Downtown SJ on a nice summer evening, and go by restaurants and pubs and art galleries. We don't have rivers, but we do have a nice art museum with many great small theatres. So basically there isn't much difference, except that Sacramento Old Town (not Downtown, by the way) gets a lot of tourists due to the river walk, and because of that it looks more "happening" than Downtown SJ. However, Old Town closes down at night, and that's when San Jose Downtown beats out Sacramento Downtown.

Quote:
I'm not saying San Jose isn't great (let you in on a secret - I'm moving back, yay!) but, as much as it has to offer and do and as big as it is, it just doesn't have a thriving, fascinating downtown, like Sacramento or Oakland or San Francisco.
SF downtown is THE Downtown of the Bay Area, and it's been that way since 1900, not very fair to compare it to San Jose Downtown.

Oakland Downtown is happening, but it's not as clean as SJ's. Sacramento Downtown is actually pretty dead, most of the good stuff is happening in Sacramento Midtown.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Well, I'll enjoy coming back and seeing it, then.
Yah, it's changed quite a bit since 2013, mostly for the better

Old 04-11-2017, 12:37 AM

1,008 posts, read 518,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
From best to worst:

1. Downtown Palo Alto (if this is considered as being a part of Silicon Valley)-I was very astonished by it. There was a lot to see and do over there, and so many amazing restaurants. It's also very aesthetic.
2. Downtown Los Gatos-Mainly due to how aesthetic it is.
3. Downtown Saratoga-A bit on the small side, however.
4. Downtown Cupertino
5. Downtown San Jose-Why do so many people rave about this downtown? It really isn't anything astonishing for a city that has over one million people living in it.
6. Downtown Los Altos
7. Downtown Santa Clara
8. Downtown Mountain View
9. Downtown Gilroy
10. Downtown Campbell
11. Downtown Morgan Hill
12. Downtown Sunnyvale-It's very telling when even the residents who are stuck living there talk don't talk positively about it. I have yet to find anything redeeming about it.
Downtown CUPERTINO?

WTF?

Old 04-11-2017, 02:05 PM

2,016 posts, read 4,027,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Downtown CUPERTINO?

WTF?
No Kidding! That's like saying "downtown Milpitas"...and I like Milpitas.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:59 PM

6 posts, read 1,908 times
Top 5:

1. Downtown Palo Alto
2. Downtown Los Gatos
3. Downtown Campbell
4. Downtown San Jose
5. Downtown Mountain View

Palo Alto and Los Gatos are our "go to" downtowns for restaurants / dining.
Campbell has a lively farmer's market, that's year round, that we frequently get our produce at.
San Jose's main draw are the Sharks' games, Henry's Hi-Life, and the Children's Discovery Museum.
Mountain View is up and coming.

I personally think Valley Fair Mall / Santana Row have sucked the life out of the downtowns in the south bay. When I think of shopping, none of the downtowns offer anything and I find myself heading over to one of the westfield malls. I wish San Jose would invest / develop in a shopping district in the downtown area.

Put some major brand stores in those vacant lots by SJSU and draw in those students. When I attended SJSU, La Vic's and Peanuts were the only reasons to walk into downtown. There are tons of kids living in the dorms that need to be tapped into. Attract them out of their rooms and enable them to "hang out" in the downtown area.

Lastly, clean up St. James park. Get the homeless and the drug users out of there. Make that park family oriented with attractions for kids to play in. Outside of the Children's Museum, there's nothing in downtown San Jose that I can bring my 2 yr old to. Turn it into something like Vasona Park and give families a reason to drive in.

Last edited by nitl9; 04-11-2017 at 04:18 PM..

Old 04-11-2017, 04:28 PM

2,016 posts, read 4,027,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitl9 View Post
Top 5:

1. Downtown Palo Alto
2. Downtown Los Gatos
3. Downtown Campbell
4. Downtown San Jose
5. Downtown Mountain View

Palo Alto and Los Gatos are our "go to" downtowns for restaurants / dining.
Campbell has a lively farmer's market, that's year round, that we frequently get our produce at.
San Jose's main draw are the Sharks' games, Henry's Hi-Life, and the Children's Discovery Museum.
Mountain View is up and coming.

I personally think Valley Fair Mall / Santana Row have sucked the life out of the downtowns in the south bay. When I think of shopping, none of the downtowns offer anything and I find myself heading over to one of the westfield malls. I wish San Jose would invest / develop in a shopping district in the downtown area.

Put some major brand stores in those vacant lots by SJSU and draw in those students. When I attended SJSU, La Vic's and Peanuts were the only reasons to walk into downtown. There are tons of kids living in the dorms that need to be tapped into. Attract them out of their rooms and enable them to "hang out" in the downtown area.

Lastly, clean up St. James park. Get the homeless and the drug users out of there. Make that park family oriented with attractions for kids to play in. Outside of the Children's Museum, there's nothing in downtown San Jose that I can bring my 2 yr old to. Turn it into something like Vasona Park and give families a reason to drive in.
San Jose's St. James Park: Four remake ideas in design competition

Ultimately, this is actually one of the goals that the city has had for a long time to make downtown San Jose more desirable. St. James Park has been a downtown blight for many years, unfortunately. The last time I was there was about 4 years ago to park along the street to attend a court hearing at the Santa Clara County Courthouse. As I walked back to my car, I was delighted to see a homeless guy hunched over, taking a s**t on the pavement a short distance away from me. Many homeless people have completely taken the park captive and it's been an uphill battle to clean up the place.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:31 PM

1,412 posts, read 2,636,126 times
1. San Jose. I like Downtown SJ, but even if I didn't it would still be #1 on the list of SV downtowns by default, because it's the only one that's actually a Downtown and not a main street/outdoor shopping mall.

-gap-

2. Redwood City. At least this one is trying.

-gap-

3. San Mateo. More like a couple of main streets that criss cross, but at least it has the ability to function as a downtown.
4. Los Gatos
5. Mountain View
6. Palo Alto
7. Campbell
8. Sunnyvale. It exists, but barely. Unlike Downtown Cupertino and Santa Clara, which don't, so they're not on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose