U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 01:08 AM

21,669 posts, read 23,382,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
There is no debate between cities with high wage/high cost and low wage/low cost, even if the ratios are exactly the same, the former will ALWAYS end up being better off financially. Why? plenty of reasons.

If you trave to Japan or Switzerland, that cost is not going to redeuce because the city you are from is cheaper;
If your kids need to attent Princeton, tuition will not be reduced just because mom/pop make less.
If you buy a 70 inch LED TV, or a BMW, the price won't be reduced based on states.

More importantly, the lower living cost rarely make up for lower wages. If city A has twice the wages as city B, it is very unlikely that the cost of living in general is twice as high, often 20% or 30% higher.

This is why most people still prefer high cost high wage cities.

There is another factor: such cities tend to be more stressful, involve longer commute and work is more demanding. This is something not captured in the equation, and serve as a legitimate reason for people to live in low cost cities.
Actually, I don't think your assessment is accurate at all. Especially when you use absolute words like "always".

Expensive colleges are not a part of most people's lives, so not relevant to most. TVs are such a small part of people's budgets, they're not worth considering.

The major cost with expensive metro areas is housing. You get a lot less house but pay a lot more for it. Usually, other things are more expensive too, such as taxes. (NYC has an income tax, for example. New Jersey has sky high property taxes, etc.). There are specialized jobs in these areas that pay a lot and you can't find anywhere else. But many people living in expensive metro areas could do their jobs elsewhere and the extra premium they get for living in an expensive area typically doesn't come close to making up for the higher cost of living, especially housing.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:50 AM

151 posts, read 118,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Typically the salary here is nowhere near double for the same job, so it's not a valid comparison.
It doesn't have to be the same kind of job.
The OP talked about the salary. If the he/she can flip burger in Houston for 1/2 the salary that he/she makes in SJ ( again, not the same job of flipping, it can be Technician, Assembly, Janitor or whatever), he/she should move there where rent is 1/2 off.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:08 AM

2,686 posts, read 3,054,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogers385 View Post
I live in Chicago and I do not get why any one would want to live in San Jose and San Francisco. I prefer a climate like Florida or Houston, also I prefer to be around people that vote Republican.
I lived in San Jose and SE Florida. We like San Jose much better than Florida. There is absolutely no way that I would ever consider living in Chicago. You get what you pay for. My wife and I are conservative Republicans and we would never live anywhere else but California.

Talk about politics, Chicago is controlled by the corrupt Democratic mafia.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:03 AM

21,669 posts, read 23,382,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanienguyen View Post
It doesn't have to be the same kind of job.
The OP talked about the salary. If the he/she can flip burger in Houston for 1/2 the salary that he/she makes in SJ ( again, not the same job of flipping, it can be Technician, Assembly, Janitor or whatever), he/she should move there where rent is 1/2 off.
Yes, I agree with that. I think especially for low paying jobs, you are much better off in the lower cost area. The higher minimum wage here doesn't come close to making up the difference in the cost of living. Sorry if I misunderstood your other post.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:29 PM

744 posts, read 1,235,744 times
My answer: because it is the cheapest city nearest the highest paying tech jobs, save for EPA (which isn't even "cheap" anymore).

Old 04-14-2017, 05:38 PM

66 posts, read 34,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
My answer: because it is the cheapest city nearest the highest paying tech jobs, save for EPA (which isn't even "cheap" anymore).
And by cheap, you mean a median home price of $957,000.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:07 AM

3,728 posts, read 1,689,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejerryronnie View Post
It's cheap if you make as much as John d Rockefeller

Old 04-19-2017, 12:23 AM

744 posts, read 1,235,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejerryronnie View Post
No argument from me. Cheap-EST is not cheap.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:38 AM

508 posts, read 626,515 times
Without referencing any nearby cities, can anyone justify San Jose being more expensive than San Diego? Just wondering.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:48 AM

1,586 posts, read 740,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Without referencing any nearby cities, can anyone justify San Jose being more expensive than San Diego? Just wondering.
San Jose being more expensive than San Diego: better downtown, stronger economy(Silicon Valley), sunnier weather, better sport stadium/arena, better natural scenery and more culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose