U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:32 PM

13,637 posts, read 16,341,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirl2017 View Post
Hello,

My husband is considering a job in Santa Clara, we would be moving from suburban Ma. The housing prices are insane in Santa Clara!!!! Wow. He makes a great days pay. But still. We would consider a 30 minute commute. We have a 4 year old and another one on the way, so family oriented towns are very important to us. Any recommendations? Either North or south of Santa Clara? Where do most Executives live? We are talking about a 350k-$500k salary... not a 1 million plus, so your guidance is much appreciated! We would like to stay below 1.2 million and still have a nice sized house. Not a shack. Our current house is 3500 square feet, custom built.
Just look in Santa Clara. It's a great, safe town. It's best to live close to where you work. Just adjust the size of the house or size of the lot that would be your ideal. Commuting really cuts into quality of life.

Or depending on what part of Santa Clara, look at the next town over. Just look close to the job. Anywhere right around Santa Clara is nice.

FYI, Cupertino is supposed to have the best school district, but houses in that school district will be more expensive - or so I've heard. My daughter was grown when I lived in Santa Clara, so I don't know about the schools. I left just a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 01:28 AM

222 posts, read 273,470 times

Hi CaliGirl, I hope you come back for advice. Sorry you felt you were treated shabbily by sarcastic comments. People who have lived in the area for a long time are not necessarily wrong in their advice, but sometimes their delivery is wanting. But to us long-time users of C-D, your wish list is for a "unicorn" that you will not find.

But for the reality of living in Silicon Valley, you have options:
  • Lower your expectations. Your wished-for budget of $1.2M is WAY (did I emphasize that enough?) too low for what you desire. You can opt for increasing the commute time, lower the size of the lot, lower the size of the house, increase the age of the house, etc. It is difficult, but not impossible, to find what something in that budget. But it will not be even close to "on par" with where you live now.

• Double or 2 1/2 times your proposed budget. With the income you state your spouse may potentially earn, you can do this. But it will still only get you into a standard, older, but better tract home in the executive-ish neighborhoods within a reasonable commute of Santa Clara (Los Altos, Saratoga, Monte Sereno, Los Gatos). Your ability to place your children in better public schools will improve with doubling your budget.

I grew up in Silicon Valley, and have long-time friends who are realtors in the area. Houses sell within minutes, not days, on the market. Finding a good realtor who has access to "off-market" listings will be key. It will be difficult to be competitive without cash up front. I hope the company your spouse is considering has an in-house relocation firm to help you.

(We left the Bay Area 25 years ago, because we knew there was no way we could buy a house then. And that was when a standard tract home in a subdivision was ~$250 -300K. Today's numbers absolutely astound me.)

Old 04-06-2017, 07:55 AM

37 posts, read 13,598 times
jk88cal is absolutely right, rank-and-file SW engineers make $350k-500k here, and good ones can easily make double. Some BART janitors make more than $350k-$500k. Unless your husband is COO of a peanut company, he may want to renegotiate salary. Otherwise, lower your expectations.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:39 AM

150 posts, read 118,013 times
Just sold in my neighborhood only for 1.2M and only 1500 sq.
Very basic 3bed/2 bath 50+ yrs old house... and in average area in San Jose.
3430 Cardoza CT, SAN JOSE, CA 95132 ( Recently Sold ) | MLS# ML81641280 | MLSListings

Old 04-06-2017, 10:54 AM

3,651 posts, read 1,671,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_mcmarbles View Post
jk88cal is absolutely right, rank-and-file SW engineers make $350k-500k here, and good ones can easily make double. Some BART janitors make more than $350k-$500k. Unless your husband is COO of a peanut company, he may want to renegotiate salary. Otherwise, lower your expectations.
And in the 1950s you could buy mansions in atherton for less than 100k. Anecdotal examples are garbage

Old 04-06-2017, 11:31 AM

380 posts, read 252,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirl2017 View Post
I'm not sure what the sarcasm is about? You don't have to be Steve Jobs to be an executive? Have you ever heard of a COO before? And Presidents of companies are also considered executives? Obviously I'm coming here because I am not familiar with the area. Obviously we will work with the company's relo service, but I came on here excited to find some preliminary info. Thanks for the help �� Who has time to troll anyway... give me a break.
Caligirl, When I read your 1st post, I thought you were really trolling, because your expectation is way off from reality.

Other posts have a lot of good input. You can use Redfin or Zillow to look at home prices in the various cities mentioned.

In any case, rent first, then take your time on buying. The house market here does not have a lot of inventory sitting around. It's next to impossible to buy a house prior to or during relocation. Majority of the houses in desirable neighborhoods will go into contract in within 1 to 2 weeks after going on market.

The good news is the current housing market is a bit cooler than past 4 years. So you might go up against 1-5 competing offers, instead of 10. And most sale prices are around list price, instead of $100-200k+ more.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:41 AM

63,450 posts, read 52,743,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanienguyen View Post
Just sold in my neighborhood only for 1.2M and only 1500 sq.
Very basic 3bed/2 bath 50+ yrs old house... and in average area in San Jose.
3430 Cardoza CT, SAN JOSE, CA 95132 ( Recently Sold ) | MLS# ML81641280 | MLSListings
That is a HUGE lot! Almost a triple-sized lot, a private park, really, with a fair amt. of landscaping, which explains some of the pricing. And it's had a lot of work done on the inside.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-06-2017 at 11:58 AM..

Old 04-06-2017, 11:43 AM

63,450 posts, read 52,743,442 times
Quote:
"Some" Bart janitors don't make $350-$500K. ONE Bart janitor who was gaming the system managed to make that, but his scam was discovered.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:49 AM

176 posts, read 125,195 times
Quote:
Hyperbole. rank and file SW engineers do not make that kind of money. Sure, some who got lucky with stock options at a hot company will make that, but it's more the exception than the rule.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 3,468 times
Hey Everyone- thanks for taking the time to write back with helpful advice! It is much appreciated! We are talking base salary with options, bonus, etc. so we can absolutely increase our budget, significantly if we need to. Thank goodness, because what I'm quickly discovering is that $1.2 isn't getting us much!!! And I started to look into Morgan Hill, which appears to be a good option. Schools are important from a resale standpoint, but we will be sending the kids to private, as we do now, so I'm not as worried. Again, I appreciate the advice. I don't think I handle one more New England winter, so I feel the massive uptick in price is worth it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose