U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 470 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are thinking of buying a house in Newark ,just off Spruce St ,and in Lincoln elementary school district.I have read a few previous posts on the crime in Newark .Please suggest if things have improved over the years in Newark. Which are the excellent,good,avg, bad areas of Newark for a newbie like me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 02:14 PM

2,026 posts, read 4,081,746 times
If you've already used the search feature here and found previous threads on Newark, you've probably read a lot of my posts regarding crime and quality of life there.

It really depends on where you'd be living off of Spruce St. The neighborhood north of Thornton (between Thornton and Jarvis) is nice and most homes are well-kept, but the neighborhood south of Thornton is somewhat rundown and has many shady characters out and about.

There are plenty of decent neighborhoods in Newark, but plenty of sketchy ones as well. If your budget can afford it, I always recommend Rosemont or the Lake Area as the best neighborhoods to live. They are by far the nicest.

As far as overall crime goes, I think it actually seems to be much quieter these days. There was a homicide a couple weeks ago, but it wasn't random and it was the first time that has happened in quite awhile. Random violent crime is very rare. I don't feel unsafe anywhere in Newark, but there definitely is an element of "sketchiness" among some of the residents in town (a lot of transients that you'll quickly learn to recognize, wanna-be gangsters, etc.). I've lived in Newark since 2009 and have never personally been a victim of crime and I've explored pretty much every neighborhood in town.

Newark schools aren't really highly-rated as far as API scores go, which is why Fremont home values in equivalent neighborhoods tend to be higher. My son actually attends the lowest-rated (by API score) elementary school in the district and overall I've actually been satisfied with his teachers and education up to this point. He's only in Kindergarten though.

Last edited by mstnghu2; 04-18-2017 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-18-2017, 06:41 PM

2,026 posts, read 4,081,746 times
My post above is too old to edit now, but I'll also add a couple of things. I've been impressed with Newark city services. The streets are kept in good condition throughout most of the city. You can usually tell pretty quickly when you've crossed from Fremont into Newark, even despite the lack of "Newark City Limit" signs in most places. Fremont doesn't keep its streets paved as well in most areas. It might seem petty but I've also noticed that Newark traffic signals seem to be more efficient at keeping traffic flowing than Fremont's signals do.

I've also always been impressed with how quickly graffiti gets cleaned up. It usually doesn't last past a couple of days. I've also had to contact the city for burnt out street lights in my neighborhood and they've always been taken care of quickly. A couple weeks ago when we had a major wind storm, the city had crews out all over the place the next day. Within a few days, pretty much all of the fallen city trees and debris had been cleaned up.

Little things like that actually do affect quality of life more than you realize sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose