U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,743 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking to buy a single family home and have to decide between a home in Cambrian Park (zip code 95124) and North San Jose (95132 zip code). We currently do not have kids but are planning and we are looking for a home for next 8 - 9 years. Elementary school in both the areas are good. My question is which area of these 2 is better from investment point of view meaning it will stay relatively solid in case of downturn and also has chance of growth with next phase of Silicon Valley growth ? Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 08:26 PM

13,569 posts, read 9,517,004 times
Where are you going to work? Commuting factors could be an issue for you.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:45 AM

72 posts, read 77,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav77 View Post
Hi,

I am looking to buy a single family home and have to decide between a home in Cambrian Park (zip code 95124) and North San Jose (95132 zip code). We currently do not have kids but are planning and we are looking for a home for next 8 - 9 years. Elementary school in both the areas are good. My question is which area of these 2 is better from investment point of view meaning it will stay relatively solid in case of downturn and also has chance of growth with next phase of Silicon Valley growth ? Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.
You posted a very interesting question for home buyers.
For almost 2 years we tried to help our son & his wife look for their first house. We looked at countless homes on the web and then made physical visit or drive by many homes. I find that Cambrian park 95124 & N San Jose 95132 are realistically 2 of the good pockets of San Jose where you can still buy a decent first house in a good neighborhood with decent/good school and stay under $1.0M.

IMHO, 2 things distinguish these 2 areas:

1)Commute/access to freeways
95132 wins the easy access to freeways battle. This zip code makes a great home base for 30-45mins commute to companies in North Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Downtown SJ, North SJ, Milpitas, Fremont & even Pleasanton thanks to good access to all major highways, except perhaps for HW85.

2)Population ethnicity
95124 has more white people while 95132 has more Asian people.
The average school in 95124 zip code usually has a mixed population of +50% white, 30% hispanic, and 20% asian. 95132 school mix is more like +70% Asian, 25% hispanic, 5% white. Not exact numbers, but you get the point. Ethnicity is a matter of personal choice and it does have an effect on the selection of grocery stores, health care providers, class mates, etc. It all depends on your preference. There is no right or wrong answer.

Which area is a better investment and will keep better value during a downturn? No one knows and no one has a crystal ball.
But, if I have to make an educated guess, I tend to think that 95132 will be a better choice because of several reasons: the large Asian population in San Jose who might prefer to live in the Asian area and therefore there might be more housing demand there, easy access to freeways, Apple moving some employees to the area near 101 & 87, and the arrival of the new BART station in Berryessa in 2018, which will be a game changer for this area (good or bad).

I think it's very exciting to start a new family and looking for a home. The fact that you look into these 2 areas tells me that you are realistic and have a good head on your shoulder. I wish you the best.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:13 AM

197 posts, read 331,832 times
Cambrian Park is a very desireable area. I own a home in the area and just got a letter looking for me to sell my home. Also, homes in 95124 are worth $648/sf whereas 95132 is $580/sf so Cambrian Park is a more expensive and therefore more desirable zip code from an investment standpoint.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:04 AM

169 posts, read 216,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav77 View Post
Hi,

I live in 95132.... Recently, houses in 95132 ( good schools combo) are really hot... gone in 1 weekend (average 1M-1.1 for 3/2 Bed/Bath 1500sq house.)
95132 is really interesting zip code, because even the same street but schools are different.
Good school combo are Ruskin, Sierramont Middle, and Piedmont High. Next is Majestic, Sierramont and Piedmont High or Noble, Sierramont Middle and Piedmont High. 1/3 to 1/2 of 95132 going to Independent High.
In term of investment, my brother in law bought his home in Ruskin area during the (ex-housing boom) 2006 for 760K (2000 sq). It went down to 650 during the bust 2009... and now the similar house just sold for 1.25M
I have no idea about 95124. But I like the freshness of mountain view and easy to get to most freeways.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:41 PM

423 posts, read 554,734 times
For me, it is easy choice. Cambrian over North/East San Jose.

Location/Commute: easier access to Sunnyvale, Cupertino, peninsula.
Neighborhood: East San Jose is not a good area, at lease when I drove thru that. And North East SJ 95132 is right next to it.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:14 AM

150 posts, read 176,146 times
I live in 95124. What made that decision for me was commute - my neighborhood has ridiculously easy access to major highways. And that won't change over time.

We're also bordered on one side by Los Gatos, which is a desirable and attractive community, but they are also adamant about not growing an inch. So I'm not sure if that is a positive or a negative.

Everyone says the schools here are good, but they were a disappointment for us.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:31 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,715,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88cal View Post
For me, it is easy choice. Cambrian over North/East San Jose.

Location/Commute: easier access to Sunnyvale, Cupertino, peninsula.
Neighborhood: East San Jose is not a good area, at lease when I drove thru that. And North East SJ 95132 is right next to it.
95132 is not considered East San Jose. It is considered north east, or rather, North Valley. 95132 is also a very large area, so even though it is north of East SJ, you are still shielded from most of East SJ's shenanigans.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:36 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,715,093 times
You can't really go wrong with both zip codes. I would even rank them the same on commute via freeway. The only advantage 95132 has over 95124 is that it is better served by public transit (VTA LRT) and the incoming BART stations.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:26 PM

93 posts, read 117,056 times
Cambrian, it's not even close. I wouldn't want to live within 5 miles of a BART station after what went down the other day. Gangs of train robbers, coming soon to Santa Clara County!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose