U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 01:31 AM

1,646 posts, read 1,908,260 times

Advertisements

Nice to see someone give an update on these advice threads I get tired of giving out advices because people just never update the thread with what they end up doing, so we never know if our advices were any good.

Ryland is a good area, I like it. Close to Northside, somewhat walkable and has prettier architectures than, say, Berryessa. You'll be close to J-town as well and that area is getting a lot of new developments so things should look great in a few years.

Honestly Berryessa is pretty boring to me, outside of the Asian restaurants. I've never felt any desires to move into that area. At least it's close to North SJ and the rest of the North County job zones. Other than that I just find it boring as heck, it's pretty much standard suburbia, while areas like Ryland/Northside/Willow Glen/Midtown/Buena Vista still got some colorful and lively characteristics and good old urban charm and grit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
Got you. Considering new Google development near Diridon station and general improvements in SJ downtown and midtown, I would say that all of your chosen neighborhoods have a potential. Main concern for me would be just your personal safety and safety of your property.

My list (#1 is more preferable, 3 less)
1. Ryland, Rosemary Gardens, the area south and east of 280 and 87. I'm personally thinking to buy a rental property there. Perfect if you work in downtown of SJ.
2. Buena Vista. I really like this area because it has its own spirit and close to Santana Row as well as SJ downtown, but hate traffic on San Carlos and near 280. I like that it is possible to buy small renovated flip (3bdr/1bath) here for pretty cheap. Population is relatively OK... Can be loud and drunk during evening time, including occasional gun fire. At least it is definitely getting better, and new development in this neighborhood on San Carlos added lots of value to the area. A lot of middle class people with limited budget move to Buena Vista recently so hope this trend will be continued.
3. Berryessa area or NE SJ downtown (like 18th 20th st etc). Berryessa have lots of good nice small neighborhoods even with good schools but I doubt they are in your price range. Other part of NE SJ... I would not buy there. Too depressive/scary for me when I visit this area, and I personally (personally!) see less potential for home price growth there.

Ghetto Glen is OK. It will be definitely better in the future but I would not buy there for myself. it is just felt not right for me.
Props for great insights and tips!

Old 11-21-2017, 02:12 AM

8 posts, read 3,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Nice to see someone give an update on these advice threads I get tired of giving out advices because people just never update the thread with what they end up doing, so we never know if our advices were any good.

Ryland is a good area, I like it. Close to Northside, somewhat walkable and has prettier architectures than, say, Berryessa. You'll be close to J-town as well and that area is getting a lot of new developments so things should look great in a few years.

Honestly Berryessa is pretty boring to me, outside of the Asian restaurants. I've never felt any desires to move into that area. At least it's close to North SJ and the rest of the North County job zones. Other than that I just find it boring as heck, it's pretty much standard suburbia, while areas like Ryland/Northside/Willow Glen/Midtown/Buena Vista still got some colorful and lively characteristics and good old urban charm and grit.
Actually, I wanted to be in Willow Glen or near The Alameda, but got priced out. Based on Nextdoor app, petty theft is rampant here, though not as bad as SF or Oakland, and it seems to be concentrated east of 3rd st. At first, I was a bit worried and careful - in Sunnyvale, almost all my neighbors worked in tech and well....were harmless. Here there are a few interesting and avoidable characters, let us say. Got accosted by a person for a $2 bus fare. Otherwise things are ok...I can't wait for Google to be here and the 1st st urban village to be built.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:41 PM

74 posts, read 11,348 times
Ryland has a cute dog park, if you have a dog. It's next to the human park under the overpass.

If it makes you feel any better, I used to have to wait for the bus in that area late at night and nothing ever happened to me except being begged by a few people.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reltoSJ View Post
in Sunnyvale, almost all my neighbors worked in tech and well....were harmless. Here there are a few interesting and avoidable characters, let us say. Got accosted by a person for a $2 bus fare. Otherwise things are ok..
That's the difference between a village (Sunnyvale) vs an actual big city (San Jose). You get all sorts of people here, it's what makes it colorful, strange, aggravating, and "city-ish". As long as it doesn't gravitate towards outright crime and violence ala southeastern SF or entirety of Oakland, we'll be fine

Old 11-29-2017, 11:37 PM
Status: "Out-botting the bots with reason and logic." (set 1 day ago)

14,193 posts, read 17,061,391 times
How is the airplane noise in Ryland? When I looked at it on the map, it seems to be right in the landing path to the airport. Still getting to know the different areas of SJ. I drive by different neighborhoods, but I'm usually traveling on the main roads that surround them.

What made me wonder about the planes, is that I see them coming in to land when I'm at the Trader Joe's/Target shopping center on Coleman. Oddly, I don't remember them ever seeming noisy from there, but was wondering about the neighborhoods underneath those landing planes and if it's noisy?

Old Today, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
How is the airplane noise in Ryland? When I looked at it on the map, it seems to be right in the landing path to the airport. Still getting to know the different areas of SJ. I drive by different neighborhoods, but I'm usually traveling on the main roads that surround them.

What made me wonder about the planes, is that I see them coming in to land when I'm at the Trader Joe's/Target shopping center on Coleman. Oddly, I don't remember them ever seeming noisy from there, but was wondering about the neighborhoods underneath those landing planes and if it's noisy?
I work in Downtown and the planes would drown out conversations outside the building whenever they come in for landing.

That said, I do go to that plaza on Coleman for Target and Smashburger quite a bit, and I never notice the noise from there whenever I go. So I guess it is actually quieter in that spot. Does not guarantee that Ryland neighborhood is as quiet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose