U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 04:29 PM

8 posts, read 3,426 times

Advertisements

I am moving to SJ (from PA) and am planning to buy a SFH. Due to my self-imposed budget limits and need to stay near transit, I find Ryland, Rosemary Gardens, the area south and east of 280 and 87 ( the South streets of SJ) to be the best match.

If I pay more, I can go to Berryessa area or NE SJ downtown (like 18th 20th st etc) or Buena Vista (between W San Carlos and 280)

Are any of these areas really bad? Anything I should look out for in the property? I heard from an agent that some areas of E Willow Glen and downtown have clayey soil and foundations sink? I have no kids and am currently single.

Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 04:55 PM

319 posts, read 235,388 times
Advice... Rent first to explore the area better.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:16 PM

Hi dogandcat

Sorry, should have given more context. I am renting in Sunnyvale for last 1 year, but still have my home there.

Now going to sell it and move for good since my job is always going to be located here - it was flexible before.

I like Willow Glen, Cambrian and West SJ, apart from Sunnyvale, but those areas - you can't get a SFH for my budget.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:44 PM

6,634 posts, read 4,755,474 times
And what is your budget?

Old 08-09-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reltoSJ View Post
Hi dogandcat

Sorry, should have given more context. I am renting in Sunnyvale for last 1 year, but still have my home there.

Now going to sell it and move for good since my job is always going to be located here - it was flexible before.

I like Willow Glen, Cambrian and West SJ, apart from Sunnyvale, but those areas - you can't get a SFH for my budget.
Got you. Considering new Google development near Diridon station and general improvements in SJ downtown and midtown, I would say that all of your chosen neighborhoods have a potential. Main concern for me would be just your personal safety and safety of your property.

My list (#1 is more preferable, 3 less)
1. Ryland, Rosemary Gardens, the area south and east of 280 and 87. I'm personally thinking to buy a rental property there. Perfect if you work in downtown of SJ.
2. Buena Vista. I really like this area because it has its own spirit and close to Santana Row as well as SJ downtown, but hate traffic on San Carlos and near 280. I like that it is possible to buy small renovated flip (3bdr/1bath) here for pretty cheap. Population is relatively OK... Can be loud and drunk during evening time, including occasional gun fire. At least it is definitely getting better, and new development in this neighborhood on San Carlos added lots of value to the area. A lot of middle class people with limited budget move to Buena Vista recently so hope this trend will be continued.
3. Berryessa area or NE SJ downtown (like 18th 20th st etc). Berryessa have lots of good nice small neighborhoods even with good schools but I doubt they are in your price range. Other part of NE SJ... I would not buy there. Too depressive/scary for me when I visit this area, and I personally (personally!) see less potential for home price growth there.

Ghetto Glen is OK. It will be definitely better in the future but I would not buy there for myself. it is just felt not right for me.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And what is your budget?
750k, max 800k if the house doesn't need repairs.
2bed/1bath or 3bed/1bath are the targets

The current overbid on SFH seems to be 10-15%, closer to 15% if a cash buyer is offering

Old 08-09-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
Got you. Considering new Google development near Diridon station and general improvements in SJ downtown and midtown, I would say that all of your chosen neighborhoods have a potential. Main concern for me would be just your personal safety and safety of your property.

My list (#1 is more preferable, 3 less)
1. Ryland, Rosemary Gardens, the area south and east of 280 and 87. I'm personally thinking to buy a rental property there. Perfect if you work in downtown of SJ.
2. Buena Vista. I really like this area because it has its own spirit and close to Santana Row as well as SJ downtown, but hate traffic on San Carlos and near 280. I like that it is possible to buy small renovated flip (3bdr/1bath) here for pretty cheap. Population is relatively OK... Can be loud and drunk during evening time, including occasional gun fire. At least it is definitely getting better, and new development in this neighborhood on San Carlos added lots of value to the area. A lot of middle class people with limited budget move to Buena Vista recently so hope this trend will be continued.
3. Berryessa area or NE SJ downtown (like 18th 20th st etc). Berryessa have lots of good nice small neighborhoods even with good schools but I doubt they are in your price range. Other part of NE SJ... I would not buy there. Too depressive/scary for me when I visit this area, and I personally (personally!) see less potential for home price growth there.

Ghetto Glen is OK. It will be definitely better in the future but I would not buy there for myself. it is just felt not right for me.

Thanks very much. 1) seems to my target. Rosemary or Ryland. Rosemary is quieter inside, but Ryland is closer to the big shopping center.
2) Buena Vista is hot now, and there are many overbids - over 15%.
3) Berryessa is out of question, its a magnet for many Asian buyers so the competition is tough.
Good to hear about NE SJ. It confirms my opinion, Those streets are quaint and quiet, but kinda far from everywhere, bit scary at night.

Willow Glen seems to be the go-to place for the former Sunnyvale/ Santa Clara SFH buyers. So the price is really high. But to reference the nickname "Ghetto Glen", I was shocked to see homeless people and some randomly knocking on residents doors and taking stuff from the yard. All near $1m value homes!

Old 08-13-2017, 11:38 PM

So I am close to pulling thr trigger in Ryland! Hope interest rates stay low! Its 3.75 now!

Old 08-14-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reltoSJ View Post
So I am close to pulling thr trigger in Ryland! Hope interest rates stay low! Its 3.75 now!
Good luck to you! Please keep updated if you have time. Interesting times are coming now for this area because of featured Google offices not so far away...

Old 11-21-2017, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
Good luck to you! Please keep updated if you have time. Interesting times are coming now for this area because of featured Google offices not so far away...
So, I got a property in Ryland. Its kinda small, but good enough for a single person for now. Hope Google really comes to DTSJ.

I am seeing a lot of activity in the neighborhood on new properties. AT least 20-30 people at a time for an open house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose