U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 11:55 AM

671 posts, read 223,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
By that standard, L.A., New York, London, Paris, Rome, Mexico City, and Mumbai are not "world class"
Nowhere did I say a city must have all of these things in order to be considered World Class. NY may be a messy city but it has everything else going for it, ditto Paris, Rome, London, and LA. San Jose has nothing going for it other then the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 11:43 AM

23 posts, read 16,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Nowhere did I say a city must have all of these things in order to be considered World Class. NY may be a messy city but it has everything else going for it, ditto Paris, Rome, London, and LA. San Jose has nothing going for it other then the weather.
Sincere question: what keeps you in San Jose if you are truly unhappy there?

Old 11-07-2017, 01:38 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,557,867 times
"being unhappy" and "not a world-class city" are completely different.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
"being unhappy" and "not a world-class city" are completely different.
I don't see where anyone claimed those concepts were synonymous. For my part, I responded to KenFresno's cumulative commentary over the course of this thread in which he expressed genuine displeasure with San Jose.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:21 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,557,867 times
Yet you quoted a post talking about "world class city" ...

Also, "not liking San Jose" and "being unhappy" are completely different.

Heck, *I* am critical of San Jose and I don't live there (although I live less than a mile away from a SJ city border - so "topper" would claim I live in San Jose, because I live in the south bay).

SJ is really nothing special, and does have huge negatives (homeless, garbage, etc.).

Old 11-11-2017, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Yet you quoted a post talking about "world class city" ...

Also, "not liking San Jose" and "being unhappy" are completely different.

Heck, *I* am critical of San Jose and I don't live there (although I live less than a mile away from a SJ city border - so "topper" would claim I live in San Jose, because I live in the south bay).

SJ is really nothing special, and does have huge negatives (homeless, garbage, etc.).
Yes, I hit reply on KenFresno's most recent comment, to respond to him directly with my question. My question, however, derives from his collective commentary in this thread.

When someone claims they live in an area where the dearth of attractions would cause the Messiah to have a meltdown, and suggests one could acquit themselves of a deficit in surrounding architecture by inserting a shot gun into their mouth, even accounting for hyperbole and dark humor, that sounds like a whole lot of unhappy.

The question I directed at KenFresno was: what keeps you in San Jose if you are truly unhappy there?

I'm transferring through work to the South Bay area, so I'm curious about perspectives on living in San Jose.

I've lived in Portland, Oregon for the last four years and I experience the climate as dark and damp and draining. Many people thrive here but it's not for me personally.

I could transfer to Chandler, Arizona but I moved from Tucson, Arizona and I am not interested in going back to relentless, oppressive heat.

My happy place is Los Angeles, but my current company does not have LA offices that I could transfer to.

Just for now, I'll accept a parking lot with no world-class attractions if it gives me 300 days of lovely sunshine, a strong economy with world-class opportunities, and access to a hospitable coastline.

Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usoda View Post
The question I directed at KenFresno was: what keeps you in San Jose if you are truly unhappy there?
I have two answers to that question.

1.) Family

2.) Business

Almost my entire family lives here and while the city of San Jose is extremely underwhelming, its not bad enough to the point where I would move away from my family.

My business is here and it has been doing well, so packing up and moving it to another city wouldn't be a smart business move.

As for being "unhappy" I am not unhappy in San Jose, its just that the city of San Jose is extremely underwhelming and lacking. I have traveled enough to know what a world class city looks and feels like and SJ is definitely not a world class city. Not even close.

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,695,822 times
Quote:

As for being "unhappy" I am not unhappy in San Jose, its just that the city of San Jose is extremely underwhelming and lacking. I have traveled enough to know what a world class city looks and feels like and SJ is definitely not a world class city. Not even close.
So what? People appreciate San Jose for what it is.

Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM

1,646 posts, read 795,880 times
Quote:
I have two answers to that question.

1.) Family

2.) Business

Almost my entire family lives here and while the city of San Jose is extremely underwhelming, its not bad enough to the point where I would move away from my family.

My business is here and it has been doing well, so packing up and moving it to another city wouldn't be a smart business move.

San Jose is truly a world a class city.

https://www.bestcities.org/rankings/worlds-best-cities/

Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So what? People appreciate San Jose for what it is.
Exactly..like it for what it is. But lets not pretend its some great world class city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose