U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 10:54 AM

7 posts, read 17,374 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity in San Jose working for a defense contractor, and was wondering if 135k salary for a family of 2 would be enough. I believe the office would be located in North San Jose. I'd like to live in a decent apartment complex or condo surrounded with good schools, preferably a short commute ~30 min. I currently have no debt, no car payments, and no loans to pay off. Is this doable at all? Where are some good places to start researching rentals?

For reference, I'm moving from DC area making 105k.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 11:33 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,712,319 times
This is easily doable. You won't be rich and you won't be buying a place anytime soon, but $135k/year for 2 people with no debt is totally adequate. Your biggest expense will obviously be the housing around here. Once you get past that hurdle, other expenses don't amount to much.

I'd probably recommend focusing your search around North San Jose, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara. That would give you the easiest commute and there should be plenty of rental options around there.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:34 AM

402 posts, read 501,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah350z View Post
I have a job opportunity in San Jose working for a defense contractor, and was wondering if 135k salary for a family of 2 would be enough. I believe the office would be located in North San Jose. I'd like to live in a decent apartment complex or condo surrounded with good schools, preferably a short commute ~30 min. I currently have no debt, no car payments, and no loans to pay off. Is this doable at all? Where are some good places to start researching rentals?

If you need 2 bdr in newer really nice apartment complex with nice amenities, you can find it for $3000-3200 in North San Jose or close. Of course you can always pay more for even better apartment.

For $2200-2300, you can find OK 1 bdr. for $1900, you can find acceptable very old 1bdr/studio maybe without roaches.

Your second family member is a child or adult? If adult, it is not really necessary to live in good schools district. Schools district borders are *not always* reflects quality of neighborhood for life for young professional in the Bay Area.

All other prices similar to DC. So what do you think is it doable? My answer... Sure.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 AM

7 posts, read 17,374 times
Thank you for the input, I'll look into Sunnyvale/Santa Clara/North San Jose area. I asked for good schools because it will be just me and my child (10) there. I do have a car, so I will be driving everywhere and do not really need to use train.

How is the airport noise in Santa Clara? I see a lot of apartments north of it, but afraid of being kept awake by airplanes flying in and out all the time. Is there any apartment companies I should look into or avoid? Will I need AC at all?

Old 09-07-2017, 05:05 PM

169 posts, read 217,480 times
If your salary is 135K, each paycheck you would get about 3K after tax and assume 10% into 401K. The average rent for 2 BR is around $2500, that would make you spend 1 check on rent and other miscellaneous items.
Milpitas is also good school from elementary to high school.
North SJ, with zipcode 95131 also ok with school, but closer to your work. Berryessa 95132, where I live has better school than 95131.
You can use Zillow to find out the rental property with each zipcode.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...19560828_zpid/

Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 PM

13,569 posts, read 9,547,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah350z View Post

Would that be BAE Systems? That's right by San Jose Airport - and that gives you a lot of possibilities, such as Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, North SJ (such as Berryessa).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose