U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 08:27 PM

43 posts, read 20,492 times

Advertisements

I have been looking houses in the North Springs/S. Monument area. HOAs abound. I have never lived in a functioning HOA and find the rules onerous, intrusive and burdensome. I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to whether their bite is as bad as their bark. For example, many covenants here limit the amount of indoor pets, like cats, you can have. Many even state that you cannot park in your own driveway overnight.

Not to get all freedom-y, but Iíll be damned if Iím going to let some unaccountable busy body into my house to count how many cats I have. I canít imagone why anyone would want to live under such oppressive rule.

That said I drove around these neighborhood at night, and HORRORS! - there were cars parked in the driveways. Does this mean that people might also be living dangerously by having - dare I say it - 3 cats (or 2 cats and a dog) in these neighborhoods as well???

If you live in one of these quasi fascist/totalitarian areas I would be interested to know if life under such regimes is as oppressive and horrible as it appears.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 10:15 PM
Status: "Out-botting the bots with reason and logic." (set 2 days ago)

14,197 posts, read 17,071,790 times
I lived in my first and last condo with a HOA in Davis, CA many years ago. I owned it for a few years. Then, was very happy to get rid of it - solely because I hated dealing with busy bodies who get on the board and get a title like "official yard nazi" and then come around knocking on doors to tell you you put too much bark around your shrubs.

You may rest assured, there will be a "cat monitor nazi" who will get themselves on the board and try to figure out how many cats you have and get you fined, on and on.

And you never know when or how much of if your dues will go up, because either these homeowners who have no experience managing property or large amounts of money - but who get themselves elected to the board and now have the power to wreck your investment - will find some agenda they want to spend money on and the next thing you know, your dues are going up - again.

Yeah, I had owned property without a HOA before that condo I bought, and I never did it again. It's like having a bunch of other people you don't get to choose, who all have the right to control your investment.

Some people are okay dealing with them, but I hated it and would never do it again. I want control of my property, and don't want any mystery future costs.

Oh, and just before I sold my condo, the board at the time chose the most God-awful color scheme to repaint the exteriors with. The complex was a really nice muted brown and maybe some forest green - neutral, natural colors. They chose this outrageous bright Mexican type color scheme - but the architecture was not a Mexican style. Think Craftsman type style - painted in turquoise and peach and mustard. Just a disaster. I was able to sell it before they actually started the painting LOL.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:28 AM

20,714 posts, read 8,222,305 times
I lived in an HOA in Reno it was absolutely miserable, they had a rule that you could only have 3 pets and I had 2 dogs and 2 birds, one of my neighbors called to report that we were concealing a 4th pet (a 20 year old cockatiel) and the HOA Nazis came over and tried to get me to let them in the house to look for the illegal pet, I told them to get a search warrant.

My son and his family stayed with us for a few months while they were relocating and the HOA sent us a violation notice that we were subletting part of our house

The funniest thing they ever did was require everyone to buy bear proof trash cans, we refused and they tried to fine us for it but when the trash pickup came by they only emptied the cans that weren't 'bear proof', they refused to empty the bear proof cans because their automated truck couldn't accommodate them, when people got mad and asked for a $200 reimbursement from the HOA for their unusable bear proof trash cans the HOA denied any liability.

I was never so glad to move out of a house in my life as I was that one.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:39 AM

682 posts, read 476,895 times
i have lived in fremont condo for 4 years, they HOA is changed once since I lived. Both of the HOA that rule our condo were no good. Here are some examples:
- ordering certain documents (.e.g. condo law) it costs hundreds of dollars. I wonder if those docs made of gold not paper.
- they are quick to say no too question but slow to respond.
- They enforce us payment for the condo balcony inspection, which was nothing more than a stuns project, encouraged by Berkeley balcony collapse a while ago.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:39 AM

1,646 posts, read 1,909,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuy View Post
I have been looking houses in the North Springs/S. Monument area.
Is this in San Jose?

Old 11-01-2017, 09:44 PM

74 posts, read 42,794 times
HOAs really are the worst. I live under a fairly moderate HOA now and even it is a pain in the ass. HOAs are great for controlling the "crazy neighbor" - until you realize you are the "crazy neighbor"! The only way to deal with HOAs is to get yourself elected to the board and then change the rules to your liking.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Status: "Out-botting the bots with reason and logic." (set 2 days ago)

14,197 posts, read 17,071,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejerryronnie View Post
HOAs really are the worst. I live under a fairly moderate HOA now and even it is a pain in the ass. HOAs are great for controlling the "crazy neighbor" - until you realize you are the "crazy neighbor"! The only way to deal with HOAs is to get yourself elected to the board and then change the rules to your liking.
Well, I got myself elected to the board, thinking if I was going to complain, I should get involved. But, if the majority are idiots, they still rule. Idiotically.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:39 PM

3,991 posts, read 4,614,561 times
There are many threads about HOAs, don't forget to Google them also, especially on financial sites.

Our experience wasn't so much with the rules but the shell game the BOD and Mgt Co
played with our money while declaring rate increases. Deferred maintenance resulted in the possibility of Special Assessments since the Reserve Fund was improperly funded. The Mgt. would find more sneaky ways to charge the HOA while claiming their rates are low and the BOD would look the other way so they could get free work done on their unit.

If you don't want to care for your exterior, yard, or managing your own repairs then HOA are for you.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:52 PM

20,714 posts, read 8,222,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
If you don't want to care for your exterior, yard, or managing your own repairs then HOA are for you.
Except that's not the case with all HOA's, the one we lived in did no repairs or maintenance to individual yards or landscaping. They mowed the lawn in common areas and hired lots of HOA nazis to drive around and take pictures of violations. They also maintained a small common area swimming pool which only 2 or 3 busybodies used, they hung out there all day and if you showed up to swim they demanded to see your HOA issued photo pass even if you lived next door to them, once my neighbor showed up and held up her pass and one of the self appointed swimming pool nazis said that the picture on the pass didn't look like her and demanded she go home and get her driver's license. And we paid $150 a month for that

Old 11-02-2017, 06:19 PM

43 posts, read 20,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Is this in San Jose?

Good question! It is not! For some reason this posted to the San Jose forum but it was intended for Colorado Springs, CO forum. I could not figure out how to delete it. However I appreciate the responses, and the experiences here are about the same as those in Colorado Springs. So yeah, HOAs suck everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose