U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 03:03 PM

682 posts, read 469,459 times

Advertisements

This week, the similar condo I owned for 4 years has reached record 510k from 340k i purchased originally. I'd rather cash in and move out as I am increasingly interested in travelling. I set aside 70k$ for investment and another 80k$ in 401k doing trades regularly.

I thought 70k$ might be too small to make a big trades so I might put another 100k$ for trading if I decide to sell. I am scratching my head in regards to what to do.

Biggest gripe is in case if I return to bay area later and housing went up even further.
Otherwise, I'd cash in.
Working in tech industry, it is attractive but I dont visualize doing startup thing as I am not big fan of taking loan, financing rather I usually interested in going debt-free and doing stock investing. So SV startup advantage is almost none for me save for better job opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 04:44 PM

1,088 posts, read 557,837 times
Why don't you just refinance and take out the max they will let you?

Old 11-05-2017, 06:02 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,490,833 times
Are you that good of a trader?

Old 11-05-2017, 07:22 PM

318 posts, read 229,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
This week, the similar condo I owned for 4 years has reached record 510k from 340k i purchased originally. I'd rather cash in and move out as I am increasingly interested in travelling. I set aside 70k$ for investment and another 80k$ in 401k doing trades regularly.

I thought 70k$ might be too small to make a big trades so I might put another 100k$ for trading if I decide to sell. I am scratching my head in regards to what to do.

Biggest gripe is in case if I return to bay area later and housing went up even further.
Otherwise, I'd cash in.
Working in tech industry, it is attractive but I dont visualize doing startup thing as I am not big fan of taking loan, financing rather I usually interested in going debt-free and doing stock investing. So SV startup advantage is almost none for me save for better job opportunity.
I would be definitely aware of where to put money after selling the condo because of upcoming stock market correction. Stocks will go off for a while.

Being you, I would better refinance it as a person before me already suggested, and rent it out. Real estate prices in Bay Area will go up and upper for many decades after today.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:10 AM

i have tried to re-finance with unreasonbly strict, interrogative process basically left 'em with middle finger with frustation. Chances are I will not apply for re-finance unless restrictions are lifted. But that is less concern.

I might move to a home country where I try to establish tech-startup there. Out of about 300k$, willing put toward and risk 100k$ for that. Expecting to spend about 70-80k$ on apartment (very cheap there) and car. That leaves about 130$ which I am planning to continue investing.

The stock market crash it always concern but I do an option trading which is far more sophisticated and profitable than plain stock.

The biggest concern is incase all these adventures did not work out and I move back in bay area only to find out real estate has become even more unaffordable, skyrocketed and beyond reach.

I hoped to raise around 1-2M$ till the end of this year but it was too much this is as far as I can go for now.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:03 AM

16 posts, read 5,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Are you that good of a trader?
This kind of trader always remembers the wins, never the losses.

Or is just lucky. I certainly hope the luck lasts.

You can see that with the condo "flipping".

If the OP were a good trader, losing out on a 50k or 100k gain wouldn't matter as much.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:11 AM

16 posts, read 5,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
I would be definitely aware of where to put money after selling the condo because of upcoming stock market correction. Stocks will go off for a while.
What stock market correction? We just had one in 2012(?). Despite common knowledge, we are not that long into a secular bull market.

But, the correction could occur today. Or maybe tomorrow. Or maybe in five years. Who knows? It will come. Just like the housing correction to the bay area will come. Sometime. Good luck guessing when, because the people who really know aren't telling. And they sure aren't on CNBC.

Quote:
Being you, I would better refinance it as a person before me already suggested, and rent it out. Real estate prices in Bay Area will go up and upper for many decades after today.
On this, I tend to agree. Just like the stock market. And when the inevitable correction occurs, it may or may not be lower than the values today.

What I can say is that there seems to be more fear (or astonishment) right now than exuberance. That alone gives me more confidence than less that things are rosier than folks believe.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:23 AM

318 posts, read 229,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryman554 View Post
What stock market correction? We just had one in 2012(?). Despite common knowledge, we are not that long into a secular bull market.

But, the correction could occur today. Or maybe tomorrow. Or maybe in five years. Who knows? It will come. Just like the housing correction to the bay area will come. Sometime. Good luck guessing when, because the people who really know aren't telling. And they sure aren't on CNBC.

On this, I tend to agree. Just like the stock market. And when the inevitable correction occurs, it may or may not be lower than the values today.

What I can say is that there seems to be more fear (or astonishment) right now than exuberance. That alone gives me more confidence than less that things are rosier than folks believe.
Too much conspiration theory for me there. I prefer to minimize risks of my potential losses, especially having kids to feed up. And yeah, last market crisis was in 2008.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:51 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,622,291 times
I recommend renting your condo if your CC&Rs permit that.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I recommend renting your condo if your CC&Rs permit that.
There is a waiting list. In general hoa sux to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose