U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 09:55 PM

1,641 posts, read 1,893,779 times

Advertisements

Oh and if you're going to want some nightlife, Rivermark has nothing to offer. NOTHING. Well, you could saunter your way across Guadalupe River, cross 1st, walk all the way to Zanker, and go to Crescent neighborhood to get to Mortar and Pestle, who only opens until 12AM on Fri and Sat night.

Meanwhile, Downtown SJ has over 40 bars/lounges for you

Outside of DTSJ, the other South Bay downtowns has about 1-3 bars/lounges each, with Palo Alto having the most with 4? Basically you combine every other South Bay downtown bars/lounges outside of DTSJ, multiply by 3, and you get the number of bars/lounges in DTSJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 02:11 AM

385 posts, read 263,627 times
Mountain View downtown
Palo Alto downtown (might be out of budget for $3k)
Sunnyvale downtown (kind of small but nice safe area)
Willow Glen
Downtown SJ

Old 11-11-2017, 03:08 AM

23 posts, read 17,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Google Rivermark Plaza and see if it would have what you had in mind, as far as things to be able to walk to. It's really close to Intel. There are apartments right around that shopping area, and there's a park there, and a library, restaurants, grocery store - all within walking distance right out your apartment door.

Here's a Google map search for "Rivermark Plaza" for you to check out (zoom in to see more shops, restaurants, etc.) I see one of them has a lounge listed. I remember going to a really nice popular upscale restaurant there for a work event lunch and there was a separate bar. I think it was Piatti's that I see on the map. So, you could even go out for just a drink in a nice place. There's a Starbucks, etc., too. Check out the street view.:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ri...4d-121.9456779

And here is the map showing the distance to Intel from Rivermark Plaza (just 1.2 miles):

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/2200...9!2d37.3943414

The down side to being in that part of town, is that depending on where you're going, traffic can be a problem with the stadium when there are games (Levi Stadium) from what I've heard. But, overall, it's a nice safe area. I used to live in Santa Clara, and at one point worked close to there.

Willow Glen downtown area is cute and a fun place to go - it's just a few blocks of shops, but I can't think of any apartments close to downtown, so I'm not sure about being able to walk out of your apartment to go out. And commuting from there would be a pain.

I do think you can find that in Campbell, but again, the cute downtown area is pretty small and I'm not sure about apartments right there. There are a lot of apartments around the shopping malls in Campbell that I can recall. But, I'm not sure it's got enough more going for it than Rivermark to deal with the commute, which would be a big pain.

Saratoga is really nice, but far, and again, the downtown area is small and not near any apartments that I know of.

If it was me, I'd choose Rivermark for the convenience to work, and walkability from my apartment door, and then just go to downtown SJ when I wanted more action or to go see a show, etc.

Edit: Here's a search on Craigslist for rentals using the search term "Rivermark" so you can see what type of housing is available for what price, etc., in that area:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/...rmark&hasPic=1
Thank you much; this was helpful. In my research I did find some places for rent in the Rivermark area and reached the same thought process of sticking there for now until we get our bearings in about a year or so. Then we can venture out to a different part of the South Bay once we get more familiar.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88cal View Post
Mountain View downtown
Palo Alto downtown (might be out of budget for $3k)
Sunnyvale downtown (kind of small but nice safe area)
Willow Glen
Downtown SJ
Whoa mama! those Palo Alto prices are no joke.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Oh and if you're going to want some nightlife, Rivermark has nothing to offer. NOTHING. Well, you could saunter your way across Guadalupe River, cross 1st, walk all the way to Zanker, and go to Crescent neighborhood to get to Mortar and Pestle, who only opens until 12AM on Fri and Sat night.

Meanwhile, Downtown SJ has over 40 bars/lounges for you

Outside of DTSJ, the other South Bay downtowns has about 1-3 bars/lounges each, with Palo Alto having the most with 4? Basically you combine every other South Bay downtown bars/lounges outside of DTSJ, multiply by 3, and you get the number of bars/lounges in DTSJ.
Yeah, it appears Rivermark would be more about convenience to work for sure. We'd have to drive to downtown SJ to get our nightlife fix. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of living close to work and driving to downtown; or living downtown and driving farther to work.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:06 PM

16 posts, read 5,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usoda View Post
Yeah, it appears Rivermark would be more about convenience to work for sure. We'd have to drive to downtown SJ to get our nightlife fix. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of living close to work and driving to downtown; or living downtown and driving farther to work.
Take it from folks who live here. There are no pros and cons.

Live close to work is almost always the correct choice until you see this traffic first hand and test it out for a week or so.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:54 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,086,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryman554 View Post

Live close to work is almost always the correct choice until you see this traffic first hand and test it out for a week or so.
Yes! This! ^^^

I've been spoiled with having a 4 mile commute to work for a long time now. Before that, I commuted from south San Jose to Fremont, then to Palo Alto from Fremont and back home...repeat Monday through Friday. I DO NOT MISS IT!

I've actually found myself getting annoyed that my once 10 minute commute to work is now about 20 minutes. I've gotten so spoiled.

The OP really should focus on making an easy commute be the biggest priority. I've lived in the Bay Area my entire life and I've never seen traffic as bad as it is now.

Old Today, 08:58 AM

1,641 posts, read 1,893,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryman554 View Post

THIS. OP, don't worry about nightlife, walkability, etc. Those are trivials compared to the real issue: commute.

In this forum, the mantra is: "The key to happiness in Silicon Valley is to live as close to your work place as affordably possible."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose