Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 08:07 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
In re-reading the post, I can see the lack of context makes that an inappropriate way of putting it.

My wife's store is in a plaza where every single store is founded by off the boat first generation immigrants. She's also small in structure. So some people come to her store for the first expressly thinking it will be cheap and whatever the customer wants and thank you for your business. The reality is that she has more clients than she can keep up with because she's really good. The back is always filled with wedding dresses and off runway gowns because she's built up the clientele that want to look good and will just send her gowns if they live out of town and then she'll setup to fix when they come in an get measured.

She's even thought of dropping dry cleaning altogether because it's distracting from her work, but keeps it because she frankly likes chatting with her customers.

The point is, she's good at what she does. Her comments on Yelp are all real (I actually had to show it to her). She makes a good living. There's no graduate program for alterations that I know of, but while everyone's off getting accounting degrees like me, nobody remembers how to sew things well. Frankly, she can do tailoring, but doesn't have the time per order so she turns that work down.

Now enter in some idiot customer. He sees a little uneducated immigrant lady and wants to chew up her time to haggle over prices or something dumb...because he's the suave educated dude. Those are easy for her to fire and basically ignore, her backlog is too big anyway. She does that all the time. This pharmacist dude somehow struck a nerve with her though, probably because he was existing and suddenly felt compelled to speak how he sees her. It's the sheer ignorance combined with audacity and lack of respectfulness. She beats him in income, isn't dependent on some union getting her price for her and we have several homes in San Jose that we rent out to families with disabled family members. Through our extended family we were the ones actually doing all the cleaning for operation prom dress even though Madison generated so little publicity for us I feel safe posting it here.

But we have to leave??? Pharmacist please...reality here: That store owner next door that looks like a delivery guy....he dresses comfortable because he physically works for a living...and he turned down $5M for his business last year. Did you know he provides like 12 schools with materials? That guy serving you at the drink place...yeah, he owns it...and his family members run the other 3 and they support their entire extended family quite well. That lady that you think is dressing sexy to attract customers at the takeout food place...dresses that way because she's in a hot kitchen most of the day as 95% of her sales are to companies that get delivered, not the front counter. If you think she looks good in her kitchen scrubs, just imagine how she looks after my wife's got her in a perfectly fitted designer gown for a Parkinson's fundraiser and that lowly beauty spa place gets done with her hair, face and nails.

To quote Bill Durst....you're not your ****ing khakis. Now get back to your boss and make sure you're dressed pretty for them. Be polite while you explain to old ladies which pills to skip to kill them the slowest as they can't afford them all. Count them really good ok? Because you work for a Corporation. The very definition of a psychopath created solely for their own self interest that is to be passed on to shareholders. You paid for your own training, and got the government to loan you the funds, so you better do it for a long time to get those paid off. Grasp those little diplomas as your precious. Make sure to keep fighting the good fight to try and keep your company in compliance, because if it's cheaper to not be in compliance, you know what they'll do. But if you fight too hard, then it's just you and your papers and resignation to the fate of a fired worker who wouldn't cheat for his/her company.

Unless of course....you find a spot open in a small cheap retail plaza and think....you know...maybe. But with tight capital...maybe you'll not spend money on some things that the big guys splash all over. Maybe you'll realize your khakis and prestige....are just a mirage holding you back.

<Ok, off rant>
Reminds me of The Millionaire Next Door - you have folks who look modest and aren't flashy, yet may have a net worth that belies their appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 11:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,421 times
Apparently "the pharmacist dude" struck a nerve with more than just your wife. Take a chill pill and move on with your life.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:11 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Default 2016 Librarian salaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sadly, that is true! But I'm possibly thinking of it from the opposite perspective, as someone who IS well-educated (BA + MLIS) and barely scraping by on my librarian salary.
Full time librarians earn very good salaries and great benefits, even librarians who don't supervise a large staff.

But for those who make it to the top as a Library Science major in the Bay Area, some examples:

In 2016 the top University of California librarian's regular salary was $305,775.00, plus benefits = $362,282.00

Other librarians at UC Berkeley earned salaries over $200,000+.

The County Librarian for Santa Clara earned $188,658.42 plus benefits = $247,393.41.

Assistant City Librarian for Santa Clara earned $149,496.00 plus benefits = $212,847.68.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:03 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Full time librarians earn very good salaries and great benefits, even librarians who don't supervise a large staff.

But for those who make it to the top as a Library Science major in the Bay Area, some examples:

In 2016 the top University of California librarian's regular salary was $305,775.00, plus benefits = $362,282.00

Other librarians at UC Berkeley earned salaries over $200,000+.

The County Librarian for Santa Clara earned $188,658.42 plus benefits = $247,393.41.

Assistant City Librarian for Santa Clara earned $149,496.00 plus benefits = $212,847.68.
Part of the reason it costs 2k to get a tree removal permit around here on your own lawn is comically overpaid public employees. Not just their salaries but their pensions (and all those dumb permits are a huge reason why housing is so absurd) With those pensions which are sometimes up to 90% of base salary these clowns make more than neurosurgeons over a lifetime.

I read about a retired chief of police in San Francisco that made 500k a year as a pension. That's more than the president makes working. These pensions were agreed upon decades ago without doing actual math to ascertain if they were remotely affordable.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:46 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,202 times
Sounds like an acute case of one immigrant trying to big-time another immigrant. Ignore

Old 01-19-2018, 11:00 PM

25 posts, read 26,848 times
I'm university educated with a BS and my spouse with a MS, we can't afford it. Education doesn't guarantee you'll make more money, don't waste your time, stick with the small business.... actually I'm personally worse off from education thanks to loans and a job that pays no more than I could get without a degree, university educated doesn't mean crap.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:32 PM

402 posts, read 538,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackymcsparrow View Post
I'm university educated with a BS and my spouse with a MS, we can't afford it. Education doesn't guarantee you'll make more money, don't waste your time, stick with the small business.... actually I'm personally worse off from education thanks to loans and a job that pays no more than I could get without a degree, university educated doesn't mean crap.
That's why it's important not just go to college but choose the right degree for this economy. I doubt any technical degree like computer science or bio-engineering can be unprofitable. If a person does not like math, then can choose to be a pharmacist or veterinarian, or even criminalist (police officer). They make perfect money as well. For sure the society needs teachers, social workers, artists, etc as well and yes they make not so much unfortunately... That's unfair. Small business is interesting but too much stress, at least for me.

STEM degree and especially software engineering is the best profession ever if you are good with math.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:47 PM

25 posts, read 26,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
That's why it's important not just go to college but choose the right degree for this economy. I doubt any technical degree like computer science or bio-engineering can be unprofitable. If a person does not like math, then can choose to be a pharmacist or veterinarian, or even criminalist (police officer). They make perfect money as well. For sure the society needs teachers, social workers, artists, etc as well and yes they make not so much unfortunately... That's unfair. Small business is interesting but too much stress, at least for me.

STEM degree and especially software engineering is the best profession ever if you are good with math.
I have a STEM degree, I graduated from sjsu college of engineering. Granted it's not the best but it didn't help me one bit. My spouse has an often mocked psych degree and more than doubles my salary. So things don't always follow those rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose