Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 01:15 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
Well, let's look at it from another perspective.

Do you really want to spend you life making tons of money... to live in a landfill?
As long as it doesn't smell, and I'm not RIGHT on top of it during a large earthquake - who cares?? The Marina District in San Francisco is built on a landfill, and is one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the city. That's also why it sustained the most damage in the '89 quake, but see my point #2 on that. And anyone who owns a home in this area without earthquake insurance is a moron, since it's a legitimate threat even if you're not on a landfill.

At any rate, I've lived in the Bay Area (all over the Peninsula) for 35 years, and never even think about it unless I'm in Milpitas. I do have to go there for work meetings occasionally, and it can really STINK if the wind is blowing in a certain direction! Otherwise it's just a non-issue for most of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
Landfill odor sux, to be sure. A vampire is something I'd like to see, LOL!

Thing is, just because you don't smell it, doesn't mean the contaminants are in the air floating around and getting into everything.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to test such things and objectively say, "5 miles is and your clear of it" or whatever the actual distance is.
If there's no way to test for this "contamination," and all of us locals are saying we don't really care - what exactly is the problem here? You're basically telling us we should be concerned about an invisible danger, like warning an Atheist they'll go to hell for sinning. And I'm not saying you are WRONG, necessarily, but I'll get worried if/when there's a tangible reason to do so. In the meantime, our real estate and economy don't seem to be suffering much because of it. LOL

Old 07-13-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
The only place I ever smell anything is Milpitas (or the adjacent part of SJ). SSJ smells like garlic on damp mornings, you could try that area, fewer vampires I would imagine.
I used to commute through Gilroy (to Hollister) every day, and my car became permeated with the smell of garlic! But I didn't mind, since it's one of my favorite smells and tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose