Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 07:16 PM

547 posts, read 770,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Many freeways in the Bay Area have HOV lanes. From my experience, these lanes tend to move more quickly than general traffic lanes. Having said that, I think another reason to consider the shuttle is that they also offer wifi so you can start your day before you get to the office. At my office, many people appear to arrive late and leave early, but this is mostly because they take shuttles and can work while commuting.
I was worried about commute and times but both my potential boss and boss’ boss both take the shuttle. During one of my group video interviews my boss actually had to cut out a little before 4 to catch the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 03:15 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,822,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Does the actual travel time decrease if you are travelling via shuttle and/or carpooling since you can take advantage of the carpool lanes? i.e. if average daily commute is 40 mins, if you are in the carpool lane, does that go down to say 25-30 mins?
If you're asking about the HOV lanes on CA 85 and US 101 around San Jose, there are enough electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles using the HOV lane that during the heart of the commute, it's no faster than the other lanes. The period where it's congested (i.e. a parking lot) is significantly shorter than for the regular lanes though. The congestion starts later and ends sooner.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:12 AM

11 posts, read 10,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
If you're asking about the HOV lanes on CA 85 and US 101 around San Jose, there are enough electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles using the HOV lane that during the heart of the commute, it's no faster than the other lanes. The period where it's congested (i.e. a parking lot) is significantly shorter than for the regular lanes though. The congestion starts later and ends sooner.
So sad to hear that. I was thinking of buying a plug-in hybrid car and take a very good use of HOV lanes - looks like it's not helping. Still thanks for this great suggestion.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:41 AM

7,600 posts, read 4,503,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Sorry, I saw it abbreviated as MTV once.

Our house size expectation isn’t much knowing the current market but we are planning to only rent right now. 3 bed over 1200 sq ft.

Does not have to be SFH. But probably not apartment, townhome should be fine.
Milpitas is fine. It's a small city that gets the smell in the very west from the San Jose dump. Assuming you're not living in McCarthy Ranch land, which is where mostly offices are, you're fine. Most of Milpitas is free of the smell and it's a well run city with solid schools.

I'd say the main problem is that your direct route to work is 237, which is too small to handle the traffic trying to get across to the Peninsula in the morning.

You can't go wrong on the Peninsula. The schools are largely good and you're closer to work, but there's another dump, somewhere around Palo Alto but less contained. It causes people to grow especially long noses that they like to look down on people with from other areas while talking about their family member pets and how some obscure stupid sounding diet works etc. The schools are all ranked very highly, but somehow the adults tend to be a pretty mixed bag.

Anyway, pick your poison.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:30 AM

13,570 posts, read 10,269,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
You can't go wrong on the Peninsula. The schools are largely good and you're closer to work, but there's another dump, somewhere around Palo Alto but less contained. It causes people to grow especially long noses that they like to look down on people with from other areas while talking about their family member pets and how some obscure stupid sounding diet works etc. The schools are all ranked very highly, but somehow the adults tend to be a pretty mixed bag.

Anyway, pick your poison.
Hahaha....Shallow Alto. Grew up there in the old days...

Old 05-12-2018, 09:59 PM

93 posts, read 129,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Your post is factually incorrect. The Palo Alto landfill was located at the far east end of Embarcadero, far from any residence, and was closed years ago.

Your slander of Palo Alto residents is not appreciated and almost completely wrong. I personally know a Palo Alto resident worth 9 figures who drives an 80s Honda Accord as their daily driver. I have not encountered a single person in Palo Alto who looks down upon anyone else, but I have seen people like you look down on residents of a city without any backing or justification.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:26 AM

187 posts, read 204,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_mcmarbles View Post
Your post is factually incorrect. The Palo Alto landfill was located at the far east end of Embarcadero, far from any residence, and was closed years ago.

Your slander of Palo Alto residents is not appreciated and almost completely wrong. I personally know a Palo Alto resident worth 9 figures who drives an 80s Honda Accord as their daily driver. I have not encountered a single person in Palo Alto who looks down upon anyone else, but I have seen people like you look down on residents of a city without any backing or justification.
Wow! joey_mcmarbles' complete lack of self awareness is absolutely mind-numbing! Here he is chastising someone about slander when half of his posts I come across are full of childish San Jose bashing (for no real reason other than he seems to like Santa Clara, Cupertino, and Mountain View better). Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose