Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:03 PM

599 posts, read 1,653,114 times

Advertisements

Moved to Los Altos almost a year ago and it’s been fine but we are a bit disappointed with the offerings as a town. It’s a big bucks city with little amenities. Hubby works in Palo Alto. We are looking for a city that has a lot of events and a community center with a pool or gym to its residents. I haven’t searched a whole lot yet as I’m still learning the Bay Area and honestly haven’t gone more than 10 miles since moving here.

Again, we like Los Altos. We have a middle schooler. Her 6th grade experience was good. We love the weather and the people have been nice. Anyone else move here and end up in another close by city? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 07:25 PM

402 posts, read 538,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Moved to Los Altos almost a year ago and it’s been fine but we are a bit disappointed with the offerings as a town. It’s a big bucks city with little amenities. Hubby works in Palo Alto. We are looking for a city that has a lot of events and a community center with a pool or gym to its residents. I haven’t searched a whole lot yet as I’m still learning the Bay Area and honestly haven’t gone more than 10 miles since moving here.

Again, we like Los Altos. We have a middle schooler. Her 6th grade experience was good. We love the weather and the people have been nice. Anyone else move here and end up in another close by city? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
There are no such towns and cities that have a lot of events except San Francisco. All of them are small sleepy communities with nice but small downtowns. Even the biggest downtowns like Mountain View, Palo Alto, or Redwood City can not offer a lot in terms of constant fun. If I say San Jose downtown I bet you would say it is not safe and schools are bad; d anyway it's not a wise decision to rent in SJ if work in Palo Alto.

Could you please elaborate on why do you want community center with a pool or gym to its residents? There are lots of chains in the area starting from cheap like 24 Fitness with pool and sauna or family YMCA with a pool to upscale gyms. You want a facility just for your town residents not with public access?

My general suggestion is to live where you live now if money is not an issue (I'm not poor but personally would never rent in Los Altos because in my eyes it is a waste of money but that's just my two cents I know from your previous comments you have slightly diffident priorities than mine). Or move one-two miles North to Mountain View with an access to the same school district. Maybe even couple of dollars chipper.

Last, visit events/festivals/concerts to have lots of fun on weekends. You can drive whatever you want don't place boundaries in 10 miles - SF, SJ, Mountain View amphitheater, Oakland, Santa Cruz. Be happy to live in upscale safe place during working days...

Old 07-29-2018, 07:33 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Palo Alto does have a couple of city pools, a community center, a children's theater, a children's zoo. Even as a resident you have to pay to use them (except the community center).

I'm sorry to hear Los Altos isn't working out for you, I think it's one of the nicer towns in the area.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Palo Alto does have a couple of city pools, a community center, a children's theater, a children's zoo. Even as a resident you have to pay to use them (except the community center).

I'm sorry to hear Los Altos isn't working out for you, I think it's one of the nicer towns in the area.

Wow, I didn't know this. That is nice there is a theater, etc. I wished Los Altos had these amenities for the cost of living here. I like Los Altos but was hoping for more resources. It is safe and pretty but not quite the fit for us. We have no community center except Shoup Park and that is falling apart and no city pools.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
There are no such towns and cities that have a lot of events except San Francisco. All of them are small sleepy communities with nice but small downtowns. Even the biggest downtowns like Mountain View, Palo Alto, or Redwood City can not offer a lot in terms of constant fun. If I say San Jose downtown I bet you would say it is not safe and schools are bad; d anyway it's not a wise decision to rent in SJ if work in Palo Alto.

Could you please elaborate on why do you want community center with a pool or gym to its residents? There are lots of chains in the area starting from cheap like 24 Fitness with pool and sauna or family YMCA with a pool to upscale gyms. You want a facility just for your town residents not with public access?

My general suggestion is to live where you live now if money is not an issue (I'm not poor but personally would never rent in Los Altos because in my eyes it is a waste of money but that's just my two cents I know from your previous comments you have slightly diffident priorities than mine). Or move one-two miles North to Mountain View with an access to the same school district. Maybe even couple of dollars chipper.

Last, visit events/festivals/concerts to have lots of fun on weekends. You can drive whatever you want don't place boundaries in 10 miles - SF, SJ, Mountain View amphitheater, Oakland, Santa Cruz. Be happy to live in upscale safe place during working days...

I do like Los Altos in many ways but was hoping for the amenities like a city pool and more events and happenings. For example I think the parks and rec in LA is bad and what I mean by that is there is hardly any classes. I went to register my daughter for the counselor in training and they wanted me to pay 130.00 plus. I saw other park and rec dept. that it was free for CIT training. We pay a huge cost which is fine but I was hoping to have more for what you pay. I just feel we are paying so much for really nothing in return. It is safe which is love but the schools are good at best.

We aren't in any rush to move but we are looking at a possible move. I want to look at San Carlos/San Mateo. Thanks for listening.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:44 PM

402 posts, read 538,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
I do like Los Altos in many ways but was hoping for the amenities like a city pool and more events and happenings. For example I think the parks and rec in LA is bad and what I mean by that is there is hardly any classes. I went to register my daughter for the counselor in training and they wanted me to pay 130.00 plus. I saw other park and rec dept. that it was free for CIT training. We pay a huge cost which is fine but I was hoping to have more for what you pay. I just feel we are paying so much for really nothing in return. It is safe which is love but the schools are good at best.

We aren't in any rush to move but we are looking at a possible move. I want to look at San Carlos/San Mateo. Thanks for listening.

San Mateo no.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
San Mateo no.
Burlingame??

Old 07-30-2018, 02:18 PM

25 posts, read 72,990 times
How about Palo Alto? There's a lot more going on than in Los Altos.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kats. View Post
How about Palo Alto? There's a lot more going on than in Los Altos.
Looking at Palo Alto as well. ☺️

Old 07-31-2018, 12:28 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Santa Clara, I think, would be what you're looking for. I lived in Santa Clara proper for 10 years, now live in San Jose, but really close, and I still enjoy the amenities and events in Santa Clara

Santa Clara is also right next to the San Jose airport, but noise isn't a problem. Also, really close to downtown SJ for events, and the Amtrak and Caltrain and light rail stations, etc.

There is a youth center, teen center, community center, etc.

There is a community outdoor pool, there are adult ed classes where there is another pool, they also use the senior center, which is incredible and that also has an indoor natatorium with hot tub and warm pool and lap pool where classes are held. Lots of city events, etc. Also, home of Levi stadium, events at Santa Clara University, including sports.

There is a big 4th of July celebration with fireworks at the Central Park, as well as Great America, which is also in Santa Clara. There's an art and wine festival every year, too.

Great police department, very low crime. Small farmer's market.

Check it out.

City of Santa Clara | Home

Events | City of Santa Clara

Parks & Recreation | City of Santa Clara

https://uvfm.org/santa-clara-saturdays/

Also, depending on where you lived in Santa Clara, it can be a fairly quick drive to Santa Cruz to go to the beach. I lived in the old town area next to SC University, and it was a 30 minute drive to the beach, depending on traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose