Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 11:51 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Jose needs a whole lot more rain!!!! Drought is still not over. Keep it on coming with tons of rain in the spring.
The drought is actually over south of the Klamath River basin in the far north. They just haven't caught up the models yet. Snowpack and reservoirs are above average. Lake Oroville isn't but that's for structural reasons. Some people define droughts in an unconventional way and will say its not over, but it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 11:53 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Californians love to brag about having the best weather. Really a few nights of rain are that upsetting? You should have kept going south to San Diego instead of San Jose for the milder weather.
This year is extra wet, but don't count on SoCal for sunshine this winter. I've had 2.5 in of rain in inland San Diego in just the past three days. It's been really damp and cool for some time now. Haven't watered plants in two months, but our hills are amazingly lush and green!

I'm also sort of over it now, but let's remember how important it is for our water supply. Bye bye, drought!

Old 02-05-2019, 11:55 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You're going to think I'm the ultimate precipitation wimp, but yes, I used to live in TN, and in Mexico, been to New Orleans - all those showers do for you after the initial cool-down, is make the air an ungodly steam bath! So, no, I don't like that, either.

I love the occasional rainy day or two. Love to smell the clean air, see the plants perk up, curl up with a good book and some hot coffee - but relentless rain - yikes! This is worse than even living in Portland or Seattle (where I've lived) or even Crescent City (where I moved from a few years ago). It's just constant pouring down rain and gloomy skies.

The sun has poked through here and there, but I haven't been able to even find a rainbow lol. This is demon rain.
Well, it's not raining in Portland or Seattle right now. But it is snowing!

Old 02-05-2019, 12:12 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
We had three inches of rain in our corner of South OC (tucked into the foothills) in 24 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Some people define droughts in an unconventional way and will say its not over, but it is.
I remember a previous drought which ended in a nearly record-breaking year with over 20 inches of rain. It was clear from the snowpack, reservoir levels, etc., that we were back up past normal water levels. But "they" (whatever high-up entities are in the government bureau that decides such things) still wouldn't declare the drought over. I read an article in which one of these individuals complained that s/he was constantly being asked if the drought was over and if not, how much more rain was actually needed. "You have to understand," s/he proclaimed, "The drought will be over when we say it's over."

That was eye-opening for me. Droughts are, among other things, political.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:40 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I remember a previous drought which ended in a nearly record-breaking year with over 20 inches of rain. It was clear from the snowpack, reservoir levels, etc., that we were back up past normal water levels. But "they" (whatever high-up entities are in the government bureau that decides such things) still wouldn't declare the drought over.

That was eye-opening for me. Droughts are, among other things, political.
There's a big difference between weather and climate, and there are also more than one distinct type of drought that one ought to consider before haphazardly considering droughts to be "over". Regardless of our temporary weather conditions that normalizes our water supply, we're still fighting a socioeconomic drought where our demand for water will continue to outpace our supply of it, regardless of this year's deluge. It should be a reminder for people not to view excess rain as confirmation that better use habits, policies, and technologies are unnecessary.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:38 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
There's a big difference between weather and climate, and there are also more than one distinct type of drought that one ought to consider before haphazardly considering droughts to be "over". Regardless of our temporary weather conditions that normalizes our water supply, we're still fighting a socioeconomic drought where our demand for water will continue to outpace our supply of it, regardless of this year's deluge. It should be a reminder for people not to view excess rain as confirmation that better use habits, policies, and technologies are unnecessary.
Mindful water use is a good thing. It's also good to be aware that there are people and agencies that benefit (financially, politically, etc.), from maintaining a perpetual "drought" condition.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:35 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
The supply of water for human use is not related to climatological drought. You don't get to call it a drought somewhere because of increased human consumption.

However, since California reservoirs are monitored and used according to expected water supply AND demand, their levels are an indicator of a drought. Given their full status and the huge snowpack above them, there is not going to be anything close to a statewide drought for 2019. If you want to consider longer term, this is shaping up to be another year like 2 years ago, so the average rain/snow in the past 3 years together will be well above historical average. The sierra snowpack is 115% of its average level. Mammoth just got 10 feet of snow on top of what was already a good snowpack. Flooding is the issue we are facing, not drought.

There is nothing haphazard about it. It only isn't over for those who want us to believe the drought is a result of climate change and therefore permanent. If you don't believe me, check the US drought monitor which will update on Thursday. But even they are reluctant to call it over when it clearly is.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:38 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Jose needs a whole lot more rain!!!! Drought is still not over. Keep it on coming with tons of rain in the spring.
Mark this day on your calendars! Topper actually posted something I can't disagree with!

Maybe it's the end of the world?

Old 02-05-2019, 06:18 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
The supply of water for human use is not related to climatological drought. You don't get to call it a drought somewhere because of increased human consumption.

However, since California reservoirs are monitored and used according to expected water supply AND demand, their levels are an indicator of a drought. Given their full status and the huge snowpack above them, there is not going to be anything close to a statewide drought for 2019. If you want to consider longer term, this is shaping up to be another year like 2 years ago, so the average rain/snow in the past 3 years together will be well above historical average. The sierra snowpack is 115% of its average level. Mammoth just got 10 feet of snow on top of what was already a good snowpack. Flooding is the issue we are facing, not drought.

There is nothing haphazard about it. It only isn't over for those who want us to believe the drought is a result of climate change and therefore permanent. If you don't believe me, check the US drought monitor which will update on Thursday. But even they are reluctant to call it over when it clearly is.
Always need a few science naysayers and conspiracy theorists to keep it interesting, and look at that, we reeled one in.

I don't get to call it anything, by the way. I'm certainly not the one that coined the four types of drought. It sounds like you're only interested in meterological drought. I don't mean to ask a question rhetorically, because of course I hate that, but why on earth (literally) would have you have the idea that drought wasn't impacted by consumption? Socioeconomic drought will only become a larger issue as humans continue to populate. Afterall, if you're willing to recognize hydrological drought, and you did above, you're admitting that its affects only matter if the supply isn't adequately meeting demand. I could go on but I'm going to gather that you understand why it matters, but hopefully, you'll also have a better understanding of what drought is. How much rain or snowfall we achieve in a season or three is only one indicator of the phenomenon.

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 02-05-2019 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: I'm baffled by short-sighted viewpoints?

Old 02-05-2019, 06:37 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Here's the drought map as of Jan. 29. They should be posting an update soon, that should show improvement. But I wouldn't take anything for granted in CA. The current rain/snow may get us a temporary respite. All we can do, is watch how the future unfolds.
https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/...ent_ca_trd.pdf

I find it odd that Del Norte and Siskiyou counties are at the same level of drought on the map as LA & San Diego, etc. It must be relative to local "normal" conditions, up north, meaning, it's just "less rainy", vs. dry?? North Humboldt is also rated "moderate drought". I don't think "moderate drought" on the far north coast means the same thing as "moderate drought" in the SoCal coastal counties. I wonder if our North Coast residents could provide their residents'-eye view on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose