Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:18 AM

10,296 posts, read 8,461,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
When I lived in TN, I loved watching how the fireflies would all of a sudden all move up into the trees right before the thunder would come. I'm guessing they could sense a change in barometric pressure or something. But, it was so fun to sit on our covered porch in the summer and watch the fireflies and the storms. They'd be so loud and the lightening so bright, that you couldn't sleep anyway. So, we'd take a drink out onto the porch and just watch the storm.

I do miss fireflies.
I forgot about the fireflies. They aren’t as plentiful where I am at, but they are just amazing to watch at dusk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 07:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,296,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I forgot about the fireflies. They aren’t as plentiful where I am at, but they are just amazing to watch at dusk.
Yes, just magical.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:27 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,795,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Always need a few science naysayers and conspiracy theorists to keep it interesting, and look at that, we reeled one in.

I don't get to call it anything, by the way. I'm certainly not the one that coined the four types of drought. It sounds like you're only interested in meterological drought. I don't mean to ask a question rhetorically, because of course I hate that, but why on earth (literally) would have you have the idea that drought wasn't impacted by consumption? Socioeconomic drought will only become a larger issue as humans continue to populate. Afterall, if you're willing to recognize hydrological drought, and you did above, you're admitting that its affects only matter if the supply isn't adequately meeting demand. I could go on but I'm going to gather that you understand why it matters, but hopefully, you'll also have a better understanding of what drought is. How much rain or snowfall we achieve in a season or three is only one indicator of the phenomenon.
Who's really ignoring the science here? Droughts are meterological. They are when below average rainfall occur during a period. The amount below to consider it a drought and the time to measure it are the subjective points we can argue about. You can either use a % of average and/or you can measure its impact on water use and availability (hydrological as you put it). Short and long term droughts use different measurements.

I did not come up with this, its how the USDA, NDMC and NOAA measure droughts. Sorry reality isn't living up to your forecast! For 2019, California is definitely not on track for drought conditions. Now excuse me I have to go lay down some sod and new sprinklers in my yard (yes i really am).

Old 02-11-2019, 02:40 PM

14,206 posts, read 11,483,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Who's really ignoring the science here? Droughts are meterological. They are when below average rainfall occur during a period. The amount below to consider it a drought and the time to measure it are the subjective points we can argue about.
There is a lot of confusion and ignorance about what "drought" means. I've often heard people say things like "Los Angeles experiences drought in the summer months" when what they really mean is that it doesn't rain in the summer. That isn't drought. Having no summer rain is a normal condition for the climate.

Where I live, we've already received over 100% of our average rainfall for this season. It could not rain again from now until November 1 and we would still not be in a drought.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,916,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There is a lot of confusion and ignorance about what "drought" means. I've often heard people say things like "Los Angeles experiences drought in the summer months" when what they really mean is that it doesn't rain in the summer. That isn't drought. Having no summer rain is a normal condition for the climate.

Where I live, we've already received over 100% of our average rainfall for this season. It could not rain again from now until November 1 and we would still not be in a drought.
They're using the word drought incorrectly, but they're trying to make a point: rainless summers end up with brown hillsides all summer long and it looks horrible, just as if a drought has happened.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
They're using the word drought incorrectly, but they're trying to make a point: rainless summers end up with brown hillsides all summer long and it looks horrible, just as if a drought has happened.
Yeah, we know already that you don't like brown hills, so maybe you could stop with telling people they ought to like what you like instead of what they like. Personally I like green hills in the winter and dry hills in the summer. I already haven't been able to mountain bike for a month because we haven't had more than two dry days in a row, and I'm getting stir crazy. It's great that we've had so much rain, but I'm ready for it to dry out a little. If it rained regularly all year round, I would absolutely hate it.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,296,465 times
Here we go again. Major wind and rain right now. It's making my closed window howl.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:46 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,903,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Here we go again. Major wind and rain right now. It's making my closed window howl.
Another round of stormy weather may come at the end of next week. One more round and at it!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2019, 09:39 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,157,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yeah, we know already that you don't like brown hills, so maybe you could stop with telling people they ought to like what you like instead of what they like. Personally I like green hills in the winter and dry hills in the summer. I already haven't been able to mountain bike for a month because we haven't had more than two dry days in a row, and I'm getting stir crazy. It's great that we've had so much rain, but I'm ready for it to dry out a little. If it rained regularly all year round, I would absolutely hate it.

Summer rain on the East Coast is not like our winter rain of cold, soggy, all day overcast events. It's brief, warm, and often proceeded and proceeded by sunny skies and temperatures in the 80s or 90s. It doesn't ruin the whole day. It comes and it goes and you can still have your BBQs in shorts and tee shirts and swim in the pool right afterwards. Remember those monsoon thunderstorms we got back in the summer of 2015 (For us Southern California folk: not sure if the Northern part got any share of it)? It's similar to that.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Summer rain on the East Coast is not like our winter rain of cold, soggy, all day overcast events. It's brief, warm, and often proceeded and proceeded by sunny skies and temperatures in the 80s or 90s. It doesn't ruin the whole day. It comes and it goes and you can still have your BBQs in shorts and tee shirts and swim in the pool right afterwards. Remember those monsoon thunderstorms we got back in the summer of 2015 (For us Southern California folk: not sure if the Northern part got any share of it)? It's similar to that.
And it doesn't make the ground muddy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose