U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 07:11 PM

3 posts, read 800 times

Advertisements

My husband works in the hotel business and an opportunity to relocate to San Jose is a great possibility. He would be working at a hotel near the airport. Before accepting the position we want to be proactive to see if this move would even be feasible for our family. Details:

-Family of 4: We have 2 kids: Son is 13 and Daughter is 10

-Household income: $150,000 yearly

-Looking for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom single family home

-Decent school (I do understand based on our income we would most likely not be able to afford to live in the areas of the best schools)

-Both of our children are involved in sports, specifically baseball/softball and basketball

-Would like to keep Husband's commute to an hour or less

-I am a legal assistant and would like to work close to home

Please be honest and realistic in your posts. We live comfortably now (currently live in St. Louis area) and don't want to move and essentially end up living paycheck to paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 07:49 PM

4,407 posts, read 2,336,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by langstkm View Post
My husband works in the hotel business and an opportunity to relocate to San Jose is a great possibility. He would be working at a hotel near the airport. Before accepting the position we want to be proactive to see if this move would even be feasible for our family. Details:

-Decent school (I do understand based on our income we would most likely not be able to afford to live in the areas of the best schools)

-Both of our children are involved in sports, specifically baseball/softball and basketball

Please be honest and realistic in your posts. We live comfortably now (currently live in St. Louis area) and don't want to move and essentially end up living paycheck to paycheck.
Are you planning on renting or do you want to buy a place?

If you want to buy, what is your budget?

Old 02-09-2019, 08:19 PM

1,129 posts, read 920,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by langstkm View Post

Personally I wouldn't do it. Unless you have a lot of money, make a lot of money (at least $250k), or are working for a start up and hope to collect a good payout in stock, your standard of living will be better just about anywhere else.

There are a lot of great things about the bay area, but housing costs are insanely high. Check out Campbell, a nice town that's on the affordable side for the Bay area.

I'm sorry I don't have better news, but that is the reality.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 800 times
We would like to buy. $500k-$650k would be the range we would like to stay in.

What about Mountain House/Tracy area? Seems the real estate is more affordable but not sure on how bad the commute would be for my husband to get to the airport area

Old 02-09-2019, 09:06 PM

17,621 posts, read 21,686,542 times
If it was me, and I could make it work, I'd live in Santa Clara, in your situation. Santa Clara is very safe, and the police will actually show up really quickly for any call. What this means is that criminals will go somewhere else, where the response is slower, like San Jose, for instance.

I lived in Santa Clara for about 10 years, and I now live in San Jose. San Jose does the best it can with the resources it has, but for police response, there is no comparison.

You'd have to look into schools. I know there are also private schools in Santa Clara.

Jut want to also say that the shorter the commute, the better in the SF Bay Area. Traffic is horrendous. And, it really cuts into quality of life, when you spend a lot of stressful time commuting.

Wellcome, by the way.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:43 PM

3,965 posts, read 1,429,158 times
I don't know what you will find for that.

San Jose is not that great.

If you have a good situation in St. Louis, I wonder why you would leave.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:14 PM

1,695 posts, read 2,195,989 times
San Jose is GREAT, if you have the money, but this mantra goes for the entire Bay Area. There is a reason why the prices are high, it's because the area is pretty damn GREAT.

$150k household income, with 2 active kids, wanting to buy within an hour commute? I would definitely stay in St. Louis.

That said, if you do intend to move, then your best place to rent/buy would be in that area where your husband will work, ie the SJC area. The homes are cheaper than Campbell and Santa Clara, and since you work as a legal assistant, that SJC area is also literally "lawyer's row" with plenty of law firms up and down First Street and south into Downtown. The area is decent and safe, San Jose's mayor himself lives in the Northside neighborhood which is pretty close to SJC as well. So you can live/rent in Northside, Rosemary, Japantown, even western neighborhoods like Rose Garden as well.

Another part to consider is the town of Santa Clara where it borders San Jose's Rose Garden neighborhoods (basically the area surrounding SCU). It's a very very good area and is not as expensive as the rest of Santa Clara.

Education-wise, you'll have to check out the school scores yourself, but there are private schools in the SJC area--with Bellarmine being the closest prestigious private high school there.

TLDR: You should not move. If you do, live/rent around SJC area.

One question: Your household income of $150K, is that with your income already combined? Or will that be the household income of just your husband working when he gets here, as I assume that he'll be the only working person initially as you will need time to find a job here in the area?

Old 02-10-2019, 10:16 PM

1,695 posts, read 2,195,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Jut want to also say that the shorter the commute, the better in the SF Bay Area. Traffic is horrendous. And, it really cuts into quality of life, when you spend a lot of stressful time commuting.

Wellcome, by the way.
Wise words from Snowie This is the truth. OP, your happiness in the Bay will depend on your commute times. So your question regarding Mountain House/Tracy? Big fat NO, unless your husband is down for 1.5 hours of commute EACH way.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:10 AM

7,105 posts, read 18,714,076 times
$150k is a typical salary for a 20 or 30 something year old software engineer, but they also get bonuses and stocks that put them closer to $300k total comp. Many of the family types who’ve been here for years are doing closer to 400-500k year with the amount of stocks they get. That’s who you are competing with and why homes start at well over 1 million in almost the entire Bay Area. Don’t get me wrong though, it’s a fantastic place to live. The schools can be great and your kids will get opportunities that would likely be unimaginable in St. Louis. My son went to a birthday party today where they watched a movie at Netflix hq. While it’s probably not for everyone, I think raising kids here will open doors that can’t be found anywhere else in the world. Bottom line, if you think you can continue to increase your income over the next few years, it may be worth the move. Even then, you are likely better off renting and keeping your house in St. Louis.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:43 AM

263 posts, read 79,609 times
Another thing you may want to consider is to buy/rent in a less expensive smaller town and then commute via the train into the city. The crime is horrible, there is horrible overcrowding on the roads, in the stores and homeless people everywhere. It takes months to get appointments anywhere because of having too many people.

Road rage is very common and you'll be blamed, confronted, harrassed and cussed out just for changing lanes. Most people are from other cultures, most of whom were never taught the concept of manners. And don't expect anyone to speak English.

On the other hand, BRinSM is right about the unique opportunities that abound. The universities are much less expensive here in CA than other states I've looked at. People here seem to be sophisticated and socially adept, aware, so I believe the children will benefit from that because they too will pick that up as the years go by. For entertainment, the options are endless. Many things here are free (hiking, open air concerts, car trips to the ocean, trips to the mountains, how about Monterey and Santa Cruz Boardwalk, or just touring the city, name it). And the natural beauty will stun and the weather is not really warm to me, but it seems on the cooler side year-round.

It would be hard for me to leave even though there's a lot I dislike. It's still better than other places I've lived.

My advice is to go for it. It will be something momentous and it will be a culture shock in some ways, but it will be a family adventure. I lived in NorCal for my whole life with a few exceptions, but when I go to Silicon Valley (San Jose, Santa Clara, etc...) it's still dramatically unique and different from my cow town.

good luck in your decision. Keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or