Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:47 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,342,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax22 View Post
Does anyone know where 550 Moreland Apartment Complex is
550 Moreland Way Santa Clara, CA 95054

Hows the surrounding area?
That area is pretty sterile. It's mostly new developments and wide streets. I'd look for something further south. Willow Glen is nice. So is the area of Santa Clara around the university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 11:42 PM

38 posts, read 137,157 times
I actually live at 550 Moreland (just moved in 2 weeks ago). The building itself and the rooms are absolutely beautiful and I love the place, although it might be true that it is lacking in excitement for some people. Its a brand new development (some rooms are actually still being finished, should be done around end of Summer). Rivermark Plaza seems like a nice place, its got a Safeway and maybe 5-10 restaurants all right there within easy walking distance (I carry my groceries home), a couple coffee shops, and seems to be packed with people most of the day.

There's not really any bars around in the immediate area (except for a sushi bar), but if you wanted to drive to that San Jose is only 5-10 miles away. Also you mentioned walking and biking, and the apartment is nearly right next to the Guadalupe River Trail (look just east on the map and youll see the snaking path of trees. I believe it goes all the way downtown.

I moved here cause its only 2 miles from my work but I would recommend it. If you have any specific questions I can try to answer them as well. If you do want to stay I would recommend trying to find a room that doesn't face Montague, its a pretty major street and will have traffic all day long. Although the soundproofing in the windows seems to be pretty good in my opinion, so maybe it would be fine.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:34 AM

23 posts, read 92,775 times
Thanks so much for the info! If you can keep me posted as your stay progresses I would appreciate it. We are not looking to move till September, trying to do all my research now!

It seems like this complex might be an easy drive to restaurants, bars & shopping in the surround area? I heard Santana Row is a fun area for dinner & shopping is that close? Great to know there is a little plaza within walking distance of 550 Moreland!

So the area seems to be a safe one, thats great! I have been getting a little scared reading some of the reviews for other apartment complexes online regarding safety levels. Couldn't find any reviews on 550 Moreland so this is very helpful, Thanks again.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:38 AM

38 posts, read 137,157 times
Yeah there is probably no reviews because it is so new. I wouldn't worry about safety here, there's security doors to get into the complex (at least there will be when its finished). If you are interested it might be worthwhile to get in touch with the management as soon as possible just to express interest, I get the impression that the units are filling up pretty fast, and there probably won't be anyone with their lease ending in September as they don't typically offer leases that short.

Driving shouldn't be a problem either, there is plentiful underground parking for you and your guests, and it exits right behind Montague.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:00 PM

Are there any farmers markets in this area?

Old 06-06-2008, 06:05 PM

17 posts, read 70,625 times
if you want places that accept bigger dogs there are a few apartments on Union Ave right before it dead ends into the Pruneyard. My sister lived in one of the complexes and looked at a couple others before and all of them allowed dogs of all sizes. They are nice apartments and around the corner from downtown Campbell which has bars, restaurants, neat shops, etc. There is also a park and huge trail around the corner that would be great for taking the dog for a walk. I think a couple of them are Woodleaf and the Commons.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:06 PM

Thanks everyone for your input, its been extremely helpful.

I found another complex that looks good on the internet, takes big dogs and is modern looking. Does anyone know the area or the apartments its self?

Avalon at Cahill Park
754 The Alameda
San Jose, CA 95126
San Jose Apartment Floorplans - Avalon at Cahill Park

Old 06-07-2008, 05:08 PM

42 posts, read 272,791 times
The Avalon apartments are about 3 minutes walk from the main downtown San Jose train station (Caltrain, Amtrack, and light rail) and the Sharks arena (HP Pavillion). Right next to it is an old brick canary (Plant 51) that is being converted to about a 300 unit condo/loft complex (should be finished later this year). The area behind it consists mostly of townhomes built in the 1990s.

The apartments are about a 10-20 minute walk to all the downtown resturants/bars/clubs.

The area is clean and it appears to be reasonably safe.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:29 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
That's in Midtown, which is a cute little area but nothing like you're probably used to. It would be preferable to not face the Alameda, but it's not a must. It's pretty quiet afterhours.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 32,688 times
hm, i would suggest campbell for you.

i think you are too worried about safety, LOL, san jose has been considered the safest big city in united states.

i lived downtown for 5 months, and i was perfectly fine, i would ride my bike(i am a young female college student) and not ever have a problem other than the occasional hoot and holler lol.

but, i think campbell has more than just the safety factor as a benefit. Campbell is nestled right at the edge of the hills, there is this BEAUTIFUL trail that goes through the city and you can run, ride your bike or roller blade, it is seriously underrated, but it has saved me a good 100 dollars a month on a gym membership. There is always someone nearby, and hey, you could even meet people that way as well(since you guys are relatively new to california)

Just to clarify, Santa cruz, is EXACTLY 35 minutes away from campbell (lol, i love the beach) and that is without traffic, as long as you don't go during super traffic-y times, you'll be fine, and i can inform about those times as well ( i am not joking when i tell you i LOVE the beach haha)

you can go into the hills, very easily as well, and that is ultimately a priceless experience, and if you want to experience a different landscape (there is so much!) then you can go into the southside hills, and hike over there as well.

And as for bars, restuarants, movie theaters, etc, campbell has all of that, very cute downtown, and always events, farmer markets(there is one every saturday morning in downtown campbell that i go to if i get up early enough) and if you don't want to wake up earlier than 11 am on saturdays then, you can go to the one on wednesdays at 4 pm-8pm on Union and Camden(wonderful area as well, but less apartment choices), basically, its not going to be new york, and DON'T expect that lol, but cambpell definitely has its own lil yuppie and quirky attitude.

campbell is without a doubt safe as can be. I live here and i been living in west san jose area for close to 3 years now, so i'm pretty knowledgeable.

Downtown can get boring and old fast, so its ok, if you don't live that nearby.

but basically, in a car, you can get down town in 10 min, park in like 25 lol.
east side san jose, you can get here in 15 min, (i suggest getting REAL mexican food, atleast once there, in a local taqueria, but i know spanish and i love east side and how it feels like a different town than the rest of san jose)

Campbell, is for young couples like you and your fiance, los gatos is more for the SUPER rich young people and super rich older folks(but has a nice downtown as well, i suggest you go there as well) and west side san jose, is more for family-themed stuff but still has nice restuarants(i used to work for a wonderful pizzeria, that is sure to delight you!)

if cost is not a big deal, then go to campbell and rent a one bedroom for about 900-1000 a month.

you'll love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose