Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:57 PM

33 posts, read 196,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbreeze View Post
I loved Elan when I lived in Santa Clara. Commuted to North Mary Avenue in Sunnyvale. Not too terrible a commute. It depended on when you hit the 101.
Shea Apartment Communities - Northern California Apartment Communities and Southern California Apartment Communities.
I will definetly call up ELAN tomorrow. Is there VTA bus/train from elan to lockheed martin (n mathilda avenue)?

Do you have any idea about Cascades and Briarwood in Sunnyvale?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
I just checked out where Elan is (345 Village Cir).. it's only a couple of blocks from where I used to work. You can catch the 321 limited-stop bus to Lockheed from Montague Expressway, or walk a little bit further to the light-rail stop at Montague & First. Downside is that there's only one 321 bus per day in each direction, but if you have to go home in an emergency you still have the option of the light-rail.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:22 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
There's a light-rail stop at Lokheed Martin so you're set for that end.

Also, about a half mile west of Elan, River Oaks Pkwy will take you to the Guadalupe creek trail which you can then walk or cycle to the light rail stop at Tasman and Lafayette. The commute should take well under an hour, including getting to and from the stops, if you have a bike and if you time it right.

As a bonus, the Guadalupe trail is a most excellent route to ride, walk or jog. If you're have more time and adventurous, continue riding North along the river, passing under Tasman and then exit to the left when you get to the TIVO building in Alviso. From there you can head west on a bike path along Gold street and across the marsh to baylands park. Then take Caribbean, or the Bay Trail around the horn to Lockheed. Its a very low-traffic and mostly scenic ride.

For more info: 511.org

Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 PM

Thanks both of you.

Elan turned out to br very expensive. I'm almost close to signing up on north fair oaks and close to 101.

Its about 2-3 miles to lockheed martin light rail and the apt is walking distance to fair oaks station.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:36 PM

North Fair Oaks eh.. just be aware that any complex around there is likely to be absolutely surrounded by mobile home parks. Type Tasman & Vienna, Sunnyvale, CA into Google Maps and zoom out.. it's an absolute sea of them. I'm not saying that should influence your choice one way or another - many people who make good income find that's the only housing they can afford, and all types of people live in them - but you should at least know that it's a major dynamic in that neighborhood.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desitechie View Post
Thanks both of you.

Elan turned out to br very expensive. I'm almost close to signing up on north fair oaks and close to 101.

Its about 2-3 miles to lockheed martin light rail and the apt is walking distance to fair oaks station.
To echo the above commemts - I just moved out of one of those MH parks after seven years. It was a fine place to live, as far as location. It's just that mgmt was terrible;le.. There are a lot of brand new townhomes South and West of Tasman x Fair Oaks that look pretty nice but small. The point is, I'm pretty much an expert on that micro-neighborhood if you have any more questions.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
To echo the above commemts - I just moved out of one of those MH parks after seven years. It was a fine place to live, as far as location. It's just that mgmt was terrible;le.. There are a lot of brand new townhomes South and West of Tasman x Fair Oaks that look pretty nice but small. The point is, I'm pretty much an expert on that micro-neighborhood if you have any more questions.
Does anybody know briarwoods apartments in sunnyvale?

Its very close to caltrain tracks and that bothers me.

The other option is cascades.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desitechie View Post
Does anybody know briarwoods apartments in sunnyvale?

Its very close to caltrain tracks and that bothers me.

The other option is cascades.

Please let me know.

Thanks
I don't know anyone who lives in Briarwood, but I've been in that complex a few times and it looks nice.

Here's their site:
Briarwood in Sunnyvale CA - Apartments for rent - Equity Apartments

As for the location, I can tell you this:

Pros:
Close to Downtown Sunnyvale - shopping and some great restaurants
Close to Sunnyvale CalTrain depot - great commute option, if applicable to wherever you're headed
Decent access to 101 via Mathilda

Cons:
Close to cal train tracks (as trains go, it's fairly quiet though, and quick to pass by)
There's a lot of traffic in the area, being close to downtown and a commute center.
My guess is it's expensive, due to its location

I don't know anything about cascades.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:18 PM

Thank you very much.

I will do a second visit to briarwoods and check the train noise levels again.

Thanks

Old 08-30-2008, 09:37 AM

The train noise levels might get even worse if they decide to build California High Speed Rail along the current alignment. Then you'll have trains that go from San Jose to San Francisco in 20 minutes! :O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose