U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 11:07 AM

7 posts, read 17,939 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone---

My husband works in IT at a company in Pittsburgh, PA, and they recently bought another location in Dos Palos, CA. He can continue his job where he is at (or any of their other locations, the newest being Dos Palos). We have always entertained the idea of moving to CA. We don't have a clue what the Dos Palos area is like. We also have a 1 year old son. I work as a nurse, so I assume I could get some kind of job out there. Our house is currently for sale (we are going to move regardless, whether it's around here or far away).

Any opinions/info would be GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 AM

3,582 posts, read 11,934,707 times
You're kidding, right? Dos Palos is a very small and quiet farming town near Los Banos. It's been a couple of years since I drove through it, but I didn't see any companies or industry there - just a couple of stores, a gas station and a motel across the street from the cemetery.

Los Banos is the biggest town in the area and there is not much there to recommend it. This area is in the flat San Joaquin Valley and it's all agriculture where ever you look.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 PM

No, not kidding! Most of his company's locations are outside of a larger city. Is there anywhere to live within a reasonable commute of Dos Palos?

Old 08-06-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAgirl2020 View Post
Is there anywhere to live within a reasonable commute of Dos Palos?
Nearby Los Banos is a bigger town and has newer housing built in the last ten years or so. The town has a hospital, but there are no big-box type stores for shopping. Not much to do in LB.

Merced would probably be your best bet. It's a "big" city that would probably have everything you would need and still give you a reasonable commute. There have been a lot of new homes built in the last ten years throughout the San Joaquin Valley.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:36 PM

Thanks very much! Definitely a bit to think about.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAgirl2020 View Post
I work as a nurse, so I assume I could get some kind of job out there.
Los Banos does have a hospital. It's part of the Sutter Health chain Sutter Health - doctors & hospitals in Northern California.

There are hospitals in Merced, but I know nothing about them. Also, the University of California has a new campus (built in the last 15 years or so) at Merced.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:11 PM

6,832 posts, read 16,727,109 times
You might think about Modesto if you need to have a bigger city experience. My definition of a big city is one that has a traffic signal though.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
You might think about Modesto if you need to have a bigger city experience. My definition of a big city is one that has a traffic signal though.
According to mapquest, it's 67 miles between Modesto and Dos Palos and it's 29 miles between Merced and Dos Palos. Merced is about as big as Modesto and they even have traffic signals there

Old 08-11-2008, 03:56 PM

6,832 posts, read 16,727,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
According to mapquest, it's 67 miles between Modesto and Dos Palos and it's 29 miles between Merced and Dos Palos. Merced is about as big as Modesto and they even have traffic signals there
You're absolutely right, I was thinking about Madera not Modesto. Brain took a wee vacation.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:42 AM

58 posts, read 222,102 times
Did you sell your house yet? I was wondering how long it will take to sell in this market and how much one will have to come down from their desired price.

Los Banos has Home Depot, Lowes, Food 4 Less, K-mart and WalMart and plenty of brand new and like-new homes because of the housing crisis.

The Dos Palos/Los Banos area, since it is located in the central valley gets VERY hot in the summer with some days reaching 110-115. Other days it can get very windy in which flying particles can sting/irritate a bit. If you like trees, you'll find Merced to be nicer but then you will have a much farther commute.

You can use google maps to to have a view of the area, click on Satellite. Los Banos will have Street View capabilities.

Last edited by EZrhythm; 10-05-2008 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose