U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:49 PM

2,486 posts, read 5,458,282 times

Advertisements

San Jose's gang ties lies with the Norteneo gangs that pledge to the N.F. prison gang. They are rivals with the La Eme prison gangs from southern CA. To be a bit trivial, the whole latino prison gang thing was started of all places in Tracy, CA. Northern CA is 14 or Norte, Southern CA is sur 13. N is the 14th letter of the alphabet and 13 is the "eme" or M. The boundary is around Delano, CA. Gangs are smarter these days and they lay low. They make a lot of money on the drug/prostitution/guns trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 PM

6,868 posts, read 16,981,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Actuallty is San Jose well known for gangs?? When I lived there it didn't seem there were too many gang issues. I think most of San Jose look nice, except for the areas already listed.
When there are gang issues in San Jose, especially homicides, they get overblown and the response tends to be disproportionate. Similar to Oakland, though it happens once or twice a month in SJ instead of twice a week. (SF sweeps its homicides under the rug)

Old 08-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 455,508 times
I don't know about gangs but the East Side SUCKS it's all run down and gross, all the areas mentioned gangs or no gangs need to be torn down and restarted.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:57 AM

2,486 posts, read 5,458,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohs View Post
I don't know about gangs but the East Side SUCKS it's all run down and gross, all the areas mentioned gangs or no gangs need to be torn down and restarted.
It use to be worse, but it is getting better. Back in the day, Story and King was pretty run down. Now, it looks way better. I know what you mean, for such a run down place, its still so expensive to buy a home there.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:13 PM

20 posts, read 237,904 times
agreed. how about the silver creek area around capitol/silver creek/kettman area?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:29 AM

9 posts, read 48,035 times
yep dont live in king road, tully, and story. those are the bad places

Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 AM

215 posts, read 642,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afraidofghettos View Post
Which parts of San Jose has the most gang activity and specifically which street intersections (besides Story/King)
what gang are you thinking of joining?

honestly, you move to a nice area, you can tell a gang infested hood when you see it

Old 02-20-2009, 11:15 AM

2,980 posts, read 2,234,802 times
Silver Creek area is a pretty expensive and safe but since asked about where the road intersects with Capitol Exp, that is a different story. If you go further south to Almaden Valley area you can also find safe and slightly less expensive areas. I recommend you go to the SJ PD web site to check out the crime stats street by street. We have a questionable group living my condo (Snell & Blossom Hill) and many neighbors have reported particular activity but get no response from SJPD so I don't know what they do. Anything near the malls or convience markets is suspect.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:41 AM

14,572 posts, read 12,503,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
When there are gang issues in San Jose, especially homicides, they get overblown and the response tends to be disproportionate. Similar to Oakland, though it happens once or twice a month in SJ instead of twice a week. (SF sweeps its homicides under the rug)
I agree. Unlike a lot of large cities, San Jose still has a large middle class. So people here tend to freak out about crime and safety issues. Not a bad thing, really, since SJ has a low crime rate for a large city.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:38 PM

3,002 posts, read 10,253,981 times
Despite the rising crime, San Jose (10th largest city in america) is still ranked as the safest city in America with a population over 500,000 people.

ex. San Jose's crime rate is 2.6. What does that mean? This means that for every 100,000 people that live in San Jose we have a 2.6 homicide rate. Compare this to the highest; Baltimore at 43.5, San Jose is nearly 90% below the national average of 8.

This is from the 2007 Morgan Quitno and Khoa Le Award City Crime Rankings by Population Group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose